Advice For Newbie; My Bearded Dragon Set-up - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 11-08-2009, 04:32 PM
Hatchling

cheers for everyones responses,

as for viewing the other pics JackieL i dont know what happened, but if you cut and paste the ones you cant view in to your browser that should work.

james, i just looked at this post;

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/newbi...otobucket.html

hope that works.

liz and mark, the first thing first is im gonna get hold of a dimmer stat and use a light emiting heater. ive heard so much about sustrates im still so damn confused. as i said, the bloke i got chuck from had had about 60 or so clutches all kept on sand with no instances of impaction, does the animals husbandry come in to play at all??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2009, 08:22 PM
Hatchling

i know a couple of people who keep their BD on play sand or repti-sand and have had no problems. and i can see the points from boths sides of the arguement, at the moment im now changing the thermostat to a dimmer stat, and getting hold of a light emmiting heat source. thatll be sorted by tomorrow. thats the first bit.

im also going to do a few costal walks to see if i can find some interesting rocks for a better basking spot which i believe the best way to clean is bleach bath, well rinse and bake isnt it?? what temp do i bake a rock at??? and ive already put in another piece of grape vine root as an extra thing to climb on. more fun and more exercise for chuck!!

JackieL i think if you just cut and paste the photo name in to your browser they should work fine. chuck used to sleep on his catcus untill he got too big

james, i just looked at this post;

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/newbi...otobucket.html

hope that works. but would like to know how to post real pictures too.

another thing i wanted to know was impaction risk linked to the animals husbandry? and are back grounds important or are they purely aesthetic??

i like your set up dodger26, and to be honest, i got a male so as to get rid of the temptation to buy two
Old 11-08-2009, 09:07 PM
Super Regular
Send a message via MSN to Squonk

Just wanted to say loving the skull in your viv Im getting my viv at the weekend for my first beardie and after i'd bought all the essentials i couldnt resist a skull i found made out of stone. Thats just my taste I guess. Hope you don't mind me asking but where did you get your branches for the viv? something Im having trouble finding. Also welcome to the forum

-----------------------------------------------------
"Have you ever seen a squonk's tears? Well look at mine."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2009, 09:24 PM
Hatchling

well i got yorick to keep chuck company when im at work. i woulld love one thats more realistic but i can only find places that do really realistic ones for medical institutions at about £200 a pop. (the best one had a machette wound. )

the branches are grapevine root. i got mine from the pet store i buy my food from and an aquatics (!!??!!) store in great yaremouth. but you can get them online. have a flick through Practical Reptile Keeping magazine for stores closer to you or online places you may want to try. hope thats helpfull for you and thanks for the welcome
Old 12-08-2009, 09:44 AM
Premier Member
Send a message via MSN to AuntyLizard Send a message via Skype™ to AuntyLizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmonkey View Post

ive heard so much about sustrates im still so damn confused. as i said, the bloke i got chuck from had had about 60 or so clutches all kept on sand with no instances of impaction, does the animals husbandry come in to play at all??

It's not down to husbandry I think its more a case of it does happen. That is why I dont recommend sand for little ones because of the way they lunge at their food. It is something I am not prepared to risk.

Liz

It's good friends that walk beside you through the good times and carry you through the bad.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:29 PM
Hatchling

ok, well to be honest i dont fancy carpet or newspaper, so is there anywhere i can get decient tiles from?? im aiming for a naturalistic environment and obviously dont want the bottom of my viv to look like my bathroom wall. just so as i can at least have a look as to what is out there?
Old 12-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Super Regular

Thanks Iron I've got this months magazine so will have a look thanks, If I have no luck I'm thinking about getting myself a branch and just peeling it and bleaching it like a few others on the forum. I got my skull on ebay, the other half is very much into skulls (must be lifelike, he hates cartoony skulls) so thought he'd love this as a part of our viv, he's got a very lifelike skull called vic (Yup he named his skull too) but its more of an ornament and a bit fragile for the viv. Here's a pic of the skull in question, he has not got a name yet and still needs cleaning up, and also a pic of vic hahah :P

Vic.

Nameless skull for viv. Thought he had character with his buck teeth lol.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:59 PM
Premier Member
Send a message via MSN to AuntyLizard Send a message via Skype™ to AuntyLizard

Go to B&Q or any diy store.. Slate tiles look quite nice.

Liz

It's good friends that walk beside you through the good times and carry you through the bad.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:36 PM
Hatchling

Liz & Mark, of course. DIY stores. its so obvious come to think of it d'oh d'oh d'oh

Squonk, vic would have been ideal. i also chucked yorick in there saying that as my BD is named chuck norris he is an attack lizard and the skull are the only remains of a burgler. (my sense of humour is warped to put it kindly). but the un named one looks like dwayne dibley!! (the cats alter ego from red dwarf).
Old 12-08-2009, 06:08 PM
Super Regular

Now you mention it!!! You're right, dwayne... wonder if i should call him that I already have a vic so was gonna call him bob but Im starting to like dwayne better lol