Advice For Newbie; My Bearded Dragon Set-up - Page 3 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 12-08-2009, 09:09 PM
Hatchling

i like to help where i can, but i can see where you were going with bob.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-08-2009, 01:11 AM
Ultra Citizen

Repti-sand is nothing but trouble mate people have had luck with all sorts of sands but at the end of the day I don't even like to risk impaction. Invest £5-20 on slate tile or £5 on some lino or keep buying bags of sand? and sand just harbours bacteria gives a nice place for feeders to hide and holds a smell if not cleaned constantly.

I use slate tile myself. Looks professional, keeps my BDs nails trim and is easy to clean.

your looking for 105-110F on highest basking spot. Stick in a 40W household bulb just for lighting if necessary or buy a light/heat bulb instead of a ceramic.

I cleaned my rocks with 10% bleach solution, wash thoroughly, let it air and then bake for best results.

Last edited by ex0tics; 13-08-2009 at 01:16 AM..
Old 13-08-2009, 12:08 PM
Forum Citizen
Send a message via MSN to kellymca2001 Send a message via Yahoo to kellymca2001

just thought i would say that i got self adhesive lino tiles from pound shop bought 2 packets but was way too much...just a thought looks lovely too you can get them all different colours i went for sandy/pine colour i posted pics in lizard pics if you wanna have a look
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-08-2009, 04:45 PM
Hatchling

quick update boys and girls,

have now measured the actual temps and they come out on average as 31 celcius ambient at the cool end and about 43 celcuis at the basking spot with an ambient temp of around 37 celcius at the hot end the ambient temps were taken at the furthest points from the heat source at each end at ground level (if that makes sense). but it has taken all day to reach that temp. so i guess a more powerfull lamp is needed. as ive said its a 4x2x2 foot or about 120 gal viv

but this still fells a little cold, especially for a desert animal. the reptisun 10% uv arrived a minuite ago, but i bought one that was too long.

my original set up would have been ideal for a snake apparently. probably would have been cheeper to get one of those instead
Old 17-08-2009, 01:04 AM
Forum Citizen

the expense is a nightmare ironmonkey but at least yours aren't off their food. If their feed intake hasn't picked up by the middle of the week I am so taking them to a reptile vet I've found demi-locally. I know they reduce their feed intake but some days they eat nothing. That can't be normal.

Thanks by the way for the photobucket info.
Old 18-08-2009, 10:40 PM
Hatchling

oh no, thats not good at all. i know that they do sometimes have a reduced appetite when shedding, also i thought my BD was off his food, but i bought some smaller crix and he was chomping his way through them no probs. i guess he was just scared of the bigger bugs. i dont know if youve given that a go, or even tried hoppers???

hope all works out well for your BD fella