Another Beardie Newbie joins the clan... with a few Qs - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 11-08-2009, 09:22 PM
Ultra Citizen

Oh yeah saw your profile picture you should start a photo album on your profile of him.

austin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2009, 01:40 PM
Ultra Citizen
Talking

Glad it helped! =)
Nice pic, i agree with austin, start an abulm of him in your profile (Show him off!! ) Just let me know if you need any help and i will try my best to offer you advice.
Keep us updated =)

Charlotte
x

Quote:
Originally Posted by bothrops View Post
Rats and mice are ace, hamsters are the spawn of Satan and as for gerbils they smell like elderberries and farts.

Charlottie
Old 15-08-2009, 08:23 PM
Hatchling
Wink Album

Hi Guys

Thanks - have managed to create an album for other members to view (i think that#s the settings ? - still fumbling my way around forums ) Please feel free to peek/comment - however layout changed since these pics taken - as we replaced the sand recently - due to distinctive 'smell' - but still there.....any thoughts ?

Will try and add the 'new' look -as not planning on big clean out just yet....

Also - I've read lots of advice on 'gut loading' crickets with mealworms - we tried adding a few mealworms to ours - but they don't seem to be eating them ...how else do you get crickets to eat the mealworms ?

One other thing - I guessing this is 'normal' behaviour from what I've read in the forum so far... the crazy scrabbling at the back of the viv and up the glass doors - however when we get him out sometimes there is a bit of wriggling then he settles - we stroke very gentley on the top between the eyes down to the soft neck bit - which he seems to be chill about - as he often closes his eyes - or one with the other half open and then does the other eye ! - and hanging limp...
However today, after a slightly made wriggling - noticed though the eyes seemed to be relaxed -his tail was kept up, slightly curved....

Remind me - how many crickets in a day (we try to give him the live stuff every other day) - he's about 15"....

Last edition - is he likely to shed - if so what are the signs ?

Thanks to all - hope you're able to see the pics BeardieG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-08-2009, 06:31 AM
Ultra Citizen
Send a message via MSN to Dave W Send a message via Skype™ to Dave W

4ft vivarium is better for an adult.
I get my temps 105f for basking and around 80-85 at cool end. We use a 60w basking spot bulb, hooked up to a dimistat.
What UVB tube are you using, 10%-12% is recommended. We use the Arcadia d3+ 12% tube.
Feed fresh greens everyday. Dust livefood with calcium once a day and vitamin once/twice a week.
I put greens in every morning and clean small waterbowl (I use rainwater for my reps). And feed livefood at about 12ish.
As long as husbandry is spot on, shedding should be fine. It may make them grumpythough and this is normal.
Bathe whenever you want to. I now bath mine, once every 2 weeks (unless they need it).

Your Bd will very much be CB, exportation of native animals from australia was banned sometime ago so, no more WC ones about. (Anyone may correct me if I'm wrong!)

Hope that helps,
Can't think of anything else at the 'mo!

Amy

Edit: Almost forgot! Get rid of the heatmat. Can cause serious damage and not needed. Get your basking spot up to temp and the ambient in your tank should be fine.
Old 16-08-2009, 06:39 AM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardieG View Post
Hi Guys

Thanks - have managed to create an album for other members to view (i think that#s the settings ? - still fumbling my way around forums ) Please feel free to peek/comment - however layout changed since these pics taken - as we replaced the sand recently - due to distinctive 'smell' - but still there.....any thoughts ?

Will try and add the 'new' look -as not planning on big clean out just yet....

Also - I've read lots of advice on 'gut loading' crickets with mealworms - we tried adding a few mealworms to ours - but they don't seem to be eating them ...how else do you get crickets to eat the mealworms ?

One other thing - I guessing this is 'normal' behaviour from what I've read in the forum so far... the crazy scrabbling at the back of the viv and up the glass doors - however when we get him out sometimes there is a bit of wriggling then he settles - we stroke very gentley on the top between the eyes down to the soft neck bit - which he seems to be chill about - as he often closes his eyes - or one with the other half open and then does the other eye ! - and hanging limp...
However today, after a slightly made wriggling - noticed though the eyes seemed to be relaxed -his tail was kept up, slightly curved....

Remind me - how many crickets in a day (we try to give him the live stuff every other day) - he's about 15"....

Last edition - is he likely to shed - if so what are the signs ?

Thanks to all - hope you're able to see the pics BeardieG

I think you have misunderstood this, can be very confusing though.
Crickets, Locusts, Mealworms, Morioworms and Roaches are a good staple (variety is the key) for Bds. But all insects need 'gutloading before being fed to your Bd. This is too get as much goodness into your Bds food.
Gutload your insects with any of the greens you would feed to your Bds.
So put you bugs in seperate tubs (or the tubs you get them in) and chuck ina few spring greens, veg, salad etc and they will demolish it. Also you can buy specially created bug food/grub.
It is worth putting in a small lid with moistened kitchen towel in with your feeder insects to keep them alive as long as poss.

Hope this helps
Amy
Old 16-08-2009, 12:23 PM
Hatchling

Hi Amy

Thanks for the reply - the UV tube at present is 5% - and will replace with a higher one in 6mths as it's fairly new
Heat mat's not actually on - but as we've no heating - come winter - thought if well buried it might just help with the overall temp ?
Plans to make a longer and slightly higher vivarium....watch this space..

Thanks for clarifying the 'gut' loading - you're right it is confusing - we are feeding them the greens and have moist kitchen towel - in the vague hope they'll last longer....we've spotted on larva already! (there is also bits of egg boxes in with them and batch were split into 2 containers)
Do you reckon will get any baby ones ..?

We've heaps of meal worms too -again in 2 containers on bran bedding - slightly moist kitchen towel and bits of dry bread....for occassional Bd treat
Old 16-08-2009, 01:07 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardieG View Post
Hi Amy

Thanks for the reply - the UV tube at present is 5% - and will replace with a higher one in 6mths as it's fairly new

I don't mean to sound rude or anything but 5% is not adequate for a Bd. You could possibnly end up with some serious health problems. They need at least 10%. They need the UV to absorb the calcium in their diet (dusted live food) without calcium they can be vulnerable to MBD. New or not you need a 10% asap.

Heat mat's not actually on - but as we've no heating - come winter - thought if well buried it might just help with the overall temp ?
Plans to make a longer and slightly higher vivarium....watch this space..

If your viv temp drops too much in the winter then I would advise having a ceramic heat emitter with a stat and guard(but don't quote me on that, as it is something we don't have to do) Most people can advise on that (we don't need one we have 24/7 heating in the winter). But Mats are still a big no-no. Reptiles getting burnt is very common with mats and heatrocks.

Thanks for clarifying the 'gut' loading - you're right it is confusing - we are feeding them the greens and have moist kitchen towel - in the vague hope they'll last longer....we've spotted on larva already! (there is also bits of egg boxes in with them and batch were split into 2 containers)
Do you reckon will get any baby ones ..?

You will only be able to breed crix if you actually set up a breeding colony. And you will go through the small tubs of crix very quickly.

We've heaps of meal worms too -again in 2 containers on bran bedding - slightly moist kitchen towel and bits of dry bread....for occassional Bd treat

The mealworms need gutloading also, that way they make a better food.
I would also advise using locusts, roaches and morioworms, a good variety is always better IMO. All should be gutloaded to make them more nutritious. You can also use butterworms and waxworms and they can be stored in the fridge for sometime.

If you need any more advice post on the lizard section, you may get quicker replies. Or pm me if you need any more help. But you must change that UVB tube asap. It would be very irresponsible to not do this.

I don't mean to preach, I am just trying to help!

Amy
Old 17-08-2009, 11:16 AM
Hatchling

Hi Amy

Cheers for that - new spec UV has been ordered from swell.uk -about a week ago - about to chase them for the rest of the order - as we got the live bits promptly but no sign of the other bits - ho hum :~

Meal worms definately being gut loaded lol - can't believe how quick the stale bread goes !

Ta
Old 17-08-2009, 12:44 PM
Hatchling
Smile Photos updated...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex0tics View Post
Oh yeah saw your profile picture you should start a photo album on your profile of him.

austin

Howdy - updated pics in album and also posted on lizard picutres forum - feel free to view... BeardieG
Old 17-08-2009, 12:46 PM
Hatchling

Hi Charlotte

Album has some updated pics - also posted on Lizard pictures forum - feel free to view...

Cheers BeardieG

Tags
bearded dragon , new owner , new user