Corn snake regurg - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 11-08-2009, 10:06 AM
Ultra Citizen
Default Corn snake regurg

So i've had my Corn snake for quite a few months now and i've noticed that sometimes she regurges her food, mostly just small parts like the feet upwards and whatever but today she regurged a whole mouse.

Im not sure if this is normal or of im doing something wrong?

I think she is a late 08/09, but she is about 1 and half feet long atm (probably shorter) and im feeding her pinkies every 8 days(9-10 at the most but not often).

She is in one of those plastic Terrariums (with the 2 lids), The temperature in there fluctuates between 22-24, 30-32.
I would like it to be more stable but I think the plastic isnt really a good enough insulator.

Any feedback on this situation would be much appreciated as half digested mice stink!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2009, 10:09 AM
Super Citizen

I'm no expert on snakes however are you handling the snake right after a feed? This can cause the snake to regurgitate its food. Also assuming that you are using a heat mat is this on a thermostat? Ideally the temperature in the warm end should be around 28 degrees C. A temperature that is too high can also cause problems.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:26 AM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleccy View Post
I'm no expert on snakes however are you handling the snake right after a feed? This can cause the snake to regurgitate its food. Also assuming that you are using a heat mat is this on a thermostat? Ideally the temperature in the warm end should be around 28 degrees C. A temperature that is too high can also cause problems.
I used to handle her quite alot (new snake owner, can I be blamed?), especially since I liked to show people her feeding. I assumed that her regurging small parts of mouse was pretty normal, especially since I used to handle her waaay too much. But this time I hadnt handled her once before or after eating, I just fed her and left her be (fed in the tank so literally no holding).
In fact I normally just leave her be these days, every so now and then she comes out for 10 minutes but never near a feeding time.
Literally just checked it now and theres a decomposing mouse sitting at the side >.>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2009, 10:52 AM
Posting Deity
Send a message via Skype™ to Ssthisto

No, regurgitating is not normal for a snake.

Where are you measuring your warm-side temperature, and do you have a thermostat for your heat mat? Reducing the warm side temperature to 85 degrees Fahrenheit (so that your snake is more likely to use it) may help.

It sounds like you've adopted quite a long time between feeds; is this because she's regurging (I wouldn't feed for fourteen days after a regurge, and I'd be adding Reptiboost or Avipro to the water in between to help renew her gut flora) or because this was how you were instructed to feed her?

I would bag up the regurge and refrigerate it; take it to a vet to have it checked for parasites, as this could cause repetitive regurge.

"My bum has been a bum for a very long time, but that does n't mean I have to listen to what it says."
- Terry Pratchett, Fifth Elephant

Member 1603
Old 11-08-2009, 12:27 PM
Ultra Citizen

Thermostat yes, and im measuring with 2 thermometers placed on either side of the tank, onto the substrate.

Im feeding her like this because thats how I was told to, its normally every 8 days, longer if I forget but I dont much (this feed was actually done on the 9th day by accident).

Also, she doesnt seem to mind the hot end at all, she spends most of her time on that end. But I will turn it down just in case