Newbie beardie Owner needing help - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 11-08-2009, 08:34 PM
Hatchling
Send a message via MSN to mo99ie Send a message via Yahoo to mo99ie
Question Newbie beardie Owner needing help

Hi everyone, we got our 2 bearded Dragons on Thursday Night, they seem to have settled in quite well, but just looking for a little more advice. We have done a lot of reading and looking on various websites, but as many have said before there is a lot of conflicting advice out there, and this seems to be the place for the correct advice, so here it goes.

When we got them on Thursday the Guy we bought the setup from told us that the Thermostat wasnt working properly for their temps. it was keeping the heater on all the time so we presumed they were getting too hot as they were just lying around all the time not doing anything. If we turned the heat off and it cooled slightly then they came to life, we went and got a new thermostat - it's a Ministat 300 - but we are not sure if it is working the way it should be. We had it set up the way the instructions told you - 9"from the heat source - and it wouldnt come on at all. We moved it to the cool end then it came on, but again wouldnt go off so we took it back and got a replacement, again tried as per instructions wouldnt come on as it was reading too hot, moved it to the cool end and if the probe is just in the Viv and no more it will work, but if you put it in the Viv it will go off but seems to forget to come back on again. Does anyone have any experience of this type of Thermostat and can you give us any advice please.

Also what age is best for sexing them, we not sure if they male or female. We not quite sure what age they are as th guy we got them from had bought them in December but he didnt say if it was the beginning or end so we think they are around 7-8 months old, the largest one is 12.5 inches and the smaller is 11 inches from snout to tip of tail if that is any indication of their age. He also wasnt feeding them live food everyday as he prefered to keep them on salad as it was cheaper - he gave us the empty boxex he had from feed and there were only 4. We have tried them with Mealworms which they will take but they dont seem to fussed about and brown crickets, they do like them but what other live feed would be best to try the uneducated with? we want to do things right, but we dont want to be throwing everything at them at once.

Any advice you can give is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Ann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Ultra Citizen
Send a message via AIM to ratking Send a message via Yahoo to ratking

when you say mini stat can you give a little more info please what does it say on stat/or stat box

click the picture to visit the new website.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:55 PM
Hatchling

Hiya it says on the stat that it is a Microclimate Ministat 300, the box it came in says Microclimate International Temperature Control System Vivarium Thermostat.

Hope that helps

Thanks
Ann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2009, 08:41 AM
Super Regular

What heat source are you using with that stat because the mini stats are aimed to be used with heat mats
Old 12-08-2009, 09:20 AM
Hatchling

Hiya, its an Exo Terra Ceramic Heat Lamp 150w. This is what they came with. is this ok or should we look to change the heat source?

Ann
Old 12-08-2009, 01:38 PM
Super Regular

I would be more tempted to change the thermostat to a pulse one rather than change the heat source, but I'm still new to beardies myself so I'm a little unsure. Sorry I'm not much help.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:07 PM
Hatchling

What would be the best type of pulse thermometer? and whats the difference between them? - Sorry if I seem thick, like I say very new and just learning the ropes.
Thanks
Old 12-08-2009, 02:29 PM
Super Regular

There are 3 types of thermostat

Standard - like yours which just switches the heat source on and off to maintain the temperature these are normally used for heat mats and heat tape

Dimming - these lower the amount of power to the heat source as the maximum temp is reached effectively dimming the heat/light that is given off, these are normally used with heat lamps and bulbs.

Pulse - these give off short bursts of power to the heat source, the intervals gradually become longer as the optimum temperature is reached, these are normally used with ceramic heat lamps and emitters like yours.

Micro climate and habistat do all 3 kinds of thermostat, most people will reccomend habistat thermostats but i have found the microclimate range to be just as good but at a cheap price.

Hope this helps
Old 12-08-2009, 03:41 PM
Hatchling

Thanks Nihlus. will give it a try and see how we get on. Will keep you posted.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:47 PM
Premier Member
Send a message via MSN to AuntyLizard Send a message via Skype™ to AuntyLizard

Sorry to sound thick but are you using the ceramic as the only heat source?

Beardies are sun worshipers so will be more at home with a basking bulb than a ceramic as they see light as a heat source not just heat.

Your microclimate I believe is a dimming stat so there for used with a basking bulb you should get better results.

Liz

It's good friends that walk beside you through the good times and carry you through the bad.