Strange behavior in my Royal Python - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 12-08-2009, 01:46 PM
Default Strange behavior in my Royal Python

Hey guys, I have had my Royal just over a week now, i have tried to feed him but he's off his food. I'm putting this down to the stress of moving last week.
However i noticed last night he bathed for a solid 12 hours and then this morning he is behaving very strangely. He is wiping his mouth on the walls of the vivarium which is leaving streaks of saliva. He is also yawning and stretching his jaw in all sorts of funny positions. I noticed the occasional clicking sound also.
I am a little concerned he has an RI?

I have raised the viv temp upto 94 in basking side and 84 on cool side.

Any advice guys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2009, 01:55 PM
Super Regular
Send a message via Yahoo to bilzo Send a message via Skype™ to bilzo

Hi Intherough

Don't panic, it sounds like he's just shedding his skin... that would put him off his food, and the rubbing and yawning are probably him just trying to get the skin to start coming off.

If he's not already finished shedding by the time you read this you should raise the humidity in the viv a little by spraying of you have a spray, or just dipping your fingers in the water and 'flicking' some in and around the viv (not on the electrics or your snake though!)

Then just be patient and he should be done soon, and then you'll probably find he'll eat!

Cheers

Billy
Old 12-08-2009, 01:59 PM

His eyes are still jet black, shouldn't they cloud over before he sheds?

Last edited by Intherough; 12-08-2009 at 02:12 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Super Regular

You're quite right, the eyes do look cloudy before shedding, but they then go clear again (sometimes for a couple of days) before the snake actually sheds... it's to do with the way the outer layer detaches from the eye.

Do you know when the snake last shed?

You'll know pretty soon if he is shedding... if he doesn't then best bet would be to keep him nice and warm and get him checked at a decent vet (not a bad plan to have any new snakes checked over by a vet anyway IMO)

Last edited by bilzo; 12-08-2009 at 02:23 PM..
Old 12-08-2009, 02:24 PM

I'm afraid i don't no. Maybe i should give the shop a call and find out.
I have just noticed some slime in his water, clear with white streaks, kind of a frog spawn texture. I have cleaned it out for him now though. It's the excess saliva that is concerning me

I have made an appointment for him to be seen on Tuesday, fingers crossed till then,

Thanks for your advice though fella,
Old 12-08-2009, 02:26 PM
Ultra Citizen

Mate, the eyes turn normal coloured again before the shed give it a few more days maybe mist him a little?

don't jump to conclusions if it's only a shed
Old 12-08-2009, 02:27 PM

Thanks mate, maybe i am just being paranoid!
Old 12-08-2009, 04:25 PM
Super Regular

Not at all, better safe than sorry!

Keep an eye on him until the vets appointment. Make sure there is plenty of ventilation, and if he doesn't shed within the next 24 hours then maybe assume an infection until you know otherwise - so keep him warm, lower the humidity, and wait to see the vet.

Take care,

Bill
Old 12-08-2009, 05:25 PM
5 Star Member

I must admit if one of my royals had enough excess saliva and was often yawning; especially with it's head pointing upwards like yours to concern me...I wouldn't be waiting around to see if he shed...I'd be booking a vets appt pronto!

Yes...the nose rubbing and soaking could well be because it is due to shed...but to me, the excess saliva is a completely unrelated problem; it certainly isn't linked to shedding anyway.

Excessive soaking also cries out ''mites'' so check him over for those. Incidentally mites make snakes shed much more frequently as they try to unburden themselves of the little critters.

But yes, I'd be getting it down the vets if there is excess saliva and the royal is yawning a lot and tilting its' head upwards like in your picture. They often do this with R.I's as they are trying to clear the airway.

Just to add...you shouldn't ever *need* to spray the viv when the snake is in shed...if the humidity level in the viv is already spot on...you shouldn't really have to do anything. To me, the humidity level is just as important on a day to day basis in getting the environment correct as the temperature is...and many people will agree on this.

Hope this helps.

Old 13-08-2009, 12:06 AM

Thanks Pied great help there,
He seems to have settled down a little since this morning however he isn't hiding as much as he usually does. he's just basking with his head up against the walls of the viv.

I also noticed today the collar on his heat bulb had come loose and fallen onto the bulb, it had began to melt and fused to the bulb, I don't think it had been like that long but i'm begining to think possibly fumes from the melted plastic was effecting him. However i have changed the bulb and going to get him to the vet asap,

Thanks for all your help guys, from both me and snake,
(I really need to think of a name for him )