Limestone Flour - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 12-08-2009, 02:59 PM
Super Regular
Send a message via MSN to Squonk
Default Limestone Flour

Just finished getting all the things i'll need for beardie apart from the supplements and food which i'll get just before I get him or her. As I'm a newbie to reptiles I was wondering how much Limestone flour and nutrobal do you use to dust the crickets, Ive heard people on forums say a pinch, just enough to cover the food but I worry about putting too much in the bag, can I put too much in a bag? or will only a certain amount stick to the crickets anyway leaving the rest in the bottom of the bag? Just dont want to over supplement, I know how often to use it just not how much Also another question about limestone flour, I was wondering If anyone with a beardie could tell me how much flour they get through over what time frame? i was gonna buy from ebay in bulk as its cheaper but some Ive noticed are in bags and worry they wouldnt have a use by date on them. Is it worth buying the big bags like 750,950 and 1kg bags or would it go out of date before i used it all? I saw a bag with 950g in for 4.25 here

Limestone Flour Supplement (Calcium) 950g Free P&P on eBay (end time 02-Sep-09 08:56:24 BST)

Mentions its for horses but I'm assuming all limestone flour is the same. As it says its a refil bag its nto in its original packaging so dunno if it would have a use by date on. Think this is too much bulk? Or does it last quite a while? Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure I get this right!

Thanks again

Marisa

-----------------------------------------------------
"Have you ever seen a squonk's tears? Well look at mine."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2009, 07:01 PM
Super Regular

Quick update on this post, contacted the seller to ask about the use by date and was told "My supplier says 2-3 years"

Old 13-08-2009, 10:47 AM
Regular

Don't know what limestone flour is but assuming it's the same as the calci supplement thing?

When I first got my leo and beardie I majorly overdusted everything but only so much seemed to stick to the crickets the rest just stayed in the container.

Dunno if you can give them too much though, mine seemed fine with eating severely dusted crickets!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-08-2009, 11:23 AM
Super Regular

Thanks for your reply Limestone flour has been mentioned alot on the forums as a cheaper alternative to Calypso calcium/Komodo. Ive heard half a tea spoon is about right but also heard that only so much can stick to them so still unsure

Old 14-08-2009, 11:44 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squonk View Post
Thanks for your reply Limestone flour has been mentioned alot on the forums as a cheaper alternative to Calypso calcium/Komodo. Ive heard half a tea spoon is about right but also heard that only so much can stick to them so still unsure
Yeah sorry, dunno whether lizard can OD on the stuff or not. Have you tried googling it? may turn up a result somewhere.
Old 14-08-2009, 11:48 AM
Regular

Hey again,

coincedentally have just read this thread:

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/newbi...obal-leos.html

Which mentions that too much nutrobal can harm lizards as it also contains D3 which is harmful in large quantities.

Hope this helps, if not I'd try PM'ing the guy who made that post about D3 he might have more info. x
Old 15-08-2009, 12:20 AM
Super Regular

Thanks for the heads up