what supplements for beardie? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 14-08-2009, 09:12 AM
Hatchling
Default what supplements for beardie?

going to pick my beardie up this week just wondering what brand supplements everyone think are the best so i can get them before i get him.

Also how often do i feed him veggies? hes 6 months old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-08-2009, 09:42 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylewis19 View Post
going to pick my beardie up this week just wondering what brand supplements everyone think are the best so i can get them before i get him.

Also how often do i feed him veggies? hes 6 months old
Right, i give my 4 month olds Nutrobal which is multi-vitamins about 4 times/week and i give them pure calcium powder 3 times a week. if they are a bit under the weather i will give them more calcium. Basically just dust their food with it. Also make sure you have the correct uv light to give them vitamin D3.

I give mine watercress, grapes and tomatoes every day. They're doing really well on their veg/fruit considering their age. Every beardie is different though, yours may not like veg so much, so you have to slowly introduce different things to him/her. They eat more live food at that age, when they reach adulthood they eat more veg/fruit.

Hope this helps
Old 14-08-2009, 11:44 AM
Ultra Citizen

My 2 are about 4 1/2 ,months old. I dust with calcium 5 days a week and the other 2 nutrabol. They love the greens off carrots and lambs lettuce. Not so fussed on fruit though. They also poop in the salad bowl when theyve finished eating

0.2.0 Beardies-Chucky &Jabba
0.3.0. leopard gekkos

R.I.P. Itchy & Scratchy (sinai agamas)
R.I.P ARTHUR - HORNED MOUNTAIN DRAGON - SADLY WENT TO SLEEP 20/4/2010 SOOOOO MISSED :'(
LOVE EM ALL TO BITS !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-08-2009, 12:26 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeann10uk View Post
My 2 are about 4 1/2 ,months old. I dust with calcium 5 days a week and the other 2 nutrabol. They love the greens off carrots and lambs lettuce. Not so fussed on fruit though. They also poop in the salad bowl when theyve finished eating
mine like to poop in their water bowl! i suppose it makes it easier to clean
Old 14-08-2009, 01:54 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardies_r_us View Post
Right, i give my 4 month olds Nutrobal which is multi-vitamins about 4 times/week and i give them pure calcium powder 3 times a week. if they are a bit under the weather i will give them more calcium. Basically just dust their food with it. Also make sure you have the correct uv light to give them vitamin D3.

I give mine watercress, grapes and tomatoes every day. They're doing really well on their veg/fruit considering their age. Every beardie is different though, yours may not like veg so much, so you have to slowly introduce different things to him/her. They eat more live food at that age, when they reach adulthood they eat more veg/fruit.

Hope this helps
Tomatoes and grapes shoud only be fed as a treat as they are high in phosphor and can be hard for dragons to digest, it can also interfere with theyre absorbtion of calcium.

Good staples are cress, spring greens, watercress, rocket and butternut squash.
Old 14-08-2009, 02:11 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieL View Post
Tomatoes and grapes shoud only be fed as a treat as they are high in phosphor and can be hard for dragons to digest, it can also interfere with theyre absorbtion of calcium.

Good staples are cress, spring greens, watercress, rocket and butternut squash.
I'm sorry, i should've been more precise...

Grapes... I cut one into quarters, and give them a bit each in the middle of the day so they have enough light throughout the rest of the day to digest it. They do prefer to lick it than eat it though..

Tomatoes... I don't feed the tomatoes to them whole. i do the same with grapes, cut one into quarters and hand feed them the juice from it, not the skin. The babies rarely drink the water so i'm using the tomato juice to atleast keep their throats moist, as well as spraying them and dropping water onto their noses. Again, i do this in the middle of the day.

I do give them cress, watercress, sweet potato (rarely) and butternut squash. As well as cucumber (rarely) and apples. I have looked to buy rocket, but in the description it says it has a peppery flavour and i wasn't sure if that would do more harm then good?
Old 15-08-2009, 03:07 PM
Postaholic Member

Rocket is fine to give, providing it's washed etc;

Tomato is a no no. I wouldn't feed it to any dragon.

Grapes are a treat only.

Best staples are butternut squash, cress and spring greens. Spring greens can be purchased in Sainsburys for 99p for a big bag. Cress can also be found in Sainsburys for 25p per pot.

Dragons can't see still water so well. Best way to keep them hydrated is to soak/bath them. They absorb water through theyre vent.

An indication to your dragons hydration is in his/her toilet .
Old 15-08-2009, 05:44 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieL View Post
Rocket is fine to give, providing it's washed etc;

Tomato is a no no. I wouldn't feed it to any dragon.

Grapes are a treat only.

Best staples are butternut squash, cress and spring greens. Spring greens can be purchased in Sainsburys for 99p for a big bag. Cress can also be found in Sainsburys for 25p per pot.

Dragons can't see still water so well. Best way to keep them hydrated is to soak/bath them. They absorb water through theyre vent.

An indication to your dragons hydration is in his/her toilet .
Ok, if i'm doing wrong then i'm sorry. I've just been following websites' guidelines... like this one for example:

UK Bearded Dragons Feeding Guide

I soak/bath them 1-2 times per week, sometimes more if they're shedding.

I never knew that, thats a good tip. well im relieved to say my lot are well hydrated