Super Citizen

amen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-08-2009, 03:05 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrix View Post
It is indeed a juvenile GCN and totally protected by law.
Look, don't touch and then leave it in peace.

Natrix
I have to disagree with that - 99% sure it's an alpine newt. I've never seen a blue crestie, whereas alpines usually have this bluish/grey tinge. Also, I've never seen a crestie without the black belly blotches (although there is a lot of variation and sometimes the pattern is reduced), whereas alpines often have a plain orange belly, like the photo.

Last edited by Matt Harris; 17-08-2009 at 03:11 PM..
Old 17-08-2009, 04:02 PM
Ultra Citizen

Maybe too young to tell, but I think it might be a male also - those white bits along its back remind me of the alternating black and white you see on the low dorsal crest in breeding male alpines. I think some females have an orangey dorsal stripe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-08-2009, 04:28 PM
Ultra Citizen

This newt is an Alpine newt, and the nominate form aswell... Mesotriton (formerly Triturus) alpestris alpestris, as can be told by appearance and throat. This species originates from western Europe. Nice find in some ways but not native to the UK.

Cheers
Al
Available soon CB 2015 - Salamandra.s.terrestris, Triturus marmoratus, Triturus.a.apuanus and nominate alpestris, plus plenty of Axolotls (leucistic, wild type, golden albino, albino and melanoid). Plenty more species of amphibian available summer 2015 - tropical, sub tropical, and also many temperate species suitable for secure outdoor vivaria.
Old 17-08-2009, 04:34 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Harris View Post
Maybe too young to tell, but I think it might be a male also - those white bits along its back remind me of the alternating black and white you see on the low dorsal crest in breeding male alpines. I think some females have an orangey dorsal stripe?
Absolutely right, it's a male. And females and juveniles do exhibit the orange stripe you mentioned, although not always. I keep this species and also the subspecies apaunus from high altitudes in northern Italy. These alpestris alpestris were almost certainly introduced with pond weed from France and have established a breeding colony over the years, but deliberate release can obviously not be ruled out.
Available soon CB 2015 - Salamandra.s.terrestris, Triturus marmoratus, Triturus.a.apuanus and nominate alpestris, plus plenty of Axolotls (leucistic, wild type, golden albino, albino and melanoid). Plenty more species of amphibian available summer 2015 - tropical, sub tropical, and also many temperate species suitable for secure outdoor vivaria.
Old 17-08-2009, 04:42 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Plus it's a juvenile great crested newt.
It's really not a cristatus!
Old 18-08-2009, 02:21 AM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex M View Post
It's really not a cristatus!
I bow to your greater knowledge

I am still surprised at how chunky it is as all the alpines I've ever seen have been very slim unlike the GCN that have always been chunky.

Natrix
Old 18-08-2009, 07:28 AM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
I bow to your greater knowledge

I am still surprised at how chunky it is as all the alpines I've ever seen have been very slim unlike the GCN that have always been chunky.

Natrix
I must admit that is one of the fattest alpines i've ever seen aswell! Especially for a male!
Old 18-08-2009, 12:37 PM
Regular

I'd say that if they ever intend on building a road through your back garden just say that it was a GCN