Heads Up For New Owners Getting A UV Light - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 18-08-2009, 09:55 PM
Super Citizen
Default Heads Up For New Owners Getting A UV Light

DO NOT BUY THE SPIRAL BULBS!

I found out the harsh way today that my poor male beardie's eyesight may be damaged semi permanently due to the damage done by these UV lights. They don't circulate the UV light, just send it straight down into one spot. As a result your animal will be lethargic, go off food and his energy levels will be low.
Where I had my UV bulb situated happened to be at my Beardie's favoutite spot in his cool end and as a result of him sitting under it (Its a pretty bright light) his vision has been impaired.
People are buying them because they're cheap but believe me they're doing more damage then good The petshop that sold me the product in December last year told me the rays 'bounced' so that it spread across the viv. I feel pretty dumb now, and partly to blame.
I changed my reptile retailer in March and they were the people who confirmed the damage these lights do. So big thanks to you guys at Repti-Lisious, or who knows maybe my beardie would have been blinded. Hopefully his sight will recover, although his eyes are already an amberish colour (used to be brown).

Just wanted to make sure that nobody had to learn the harsh way like I have. I'm going to invest in a strip uv light tomorrow and return to my old reptile retailer and give them hell for selling this product and so cheaply (if at all!).
0.3.0 Shubunkin Goldish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-08-2009, 09:59 PM
Super Citizen

UV Lighting for Reptiles: A new problem with high UVB output fluorescent compact lamps and tubes?

Link to UV guide and helpful report on the bulbs
0.3.0 Shubunkin Goldish
Old 18-08-2009, 10:03 PM
Super Citizen

those lamps are made to be used in an exoterra terrarium in the proper hood, with a reflector fitted and ABOVE the mesh, is this how you were using yours? if so then i think you should look into if there is another cause for the eye problems , if not........ not really the lamps fault......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-08-2009, 10:09 PM
Super Citizen

When I asked him how it should be fitted he just told me to screw it in and it will do the rest. no advice on reflectors or viv type. i didnt think anything of it at the time as we trusted him because we'd gone to him as our retailer for ages.
0.3.0 Shubunkin Goldish
Old 18-08-2009, 11:33 PM
Super Citizen

i'm afraid that bad advice from shops is something we all hate but can do little about, thats why you should always do your own research, not trying to have a dig, at least the BD should recover just fine those lamps are ok IF used properly, but like alot of things if not used as designed, cause more problems then they solve