cleaning a viv of very skitish leos - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 22-08-2009, 12:25 AM
Ultra Citizen
Reviews: 1

i agree. i will weigh them again when i get back in on sunday, as ive got work all weekend. my mum has kindly offered to look after them for the next couple of days

when they walk on my hand the definately dont feel 5 g! i will post pics up tommorow as the cable is still be elusive, but i think i know where it is.would having 2 rubs be an idea? 1 for each, i know it sounds daft but i dont want one to be having and 1 not to be having, if that makes any sense at all.

what would you say would be a good weigh, i am guessing around then 20g mark? and if they are abit underweight. would a couple of wax worms a week help boost them up, as i went to speak to a guy today and he said that they can be dangerous for babies as they can release a certian chemical and as they are so small this could hurt them, but he wasnt sure and i definately wasnt so i gave them a miss for now till i know if they are fine. also ordered some small crix today just to see if they take a shining to them.

i know what you mean about breeding and incubating for sex, its not an exact science. so i will take your advice, at least till i know for sure the sex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-08-2009, 01:30 AM
Oh God - not her AGAIN

Hi there, yes two rubs would be good - all mine are kept in rubs until they are either sold or old enough to be grouped together (dependant on sex, size, character) or some do need keeping single. For my adults I do like proper vivariums - just me but seems nicer for them. As I said they can vary in weight at any age but around 20g (give or take about 5g) would be about right. Wax worms - my opinion is DON'T. They are not necessary. It would be like feeding a small child chocolate to increase their weight - very fatty with no nutritional value. They are not harmful but can become addictive. Just make sure all the food you give your Leos is well gut loaded. I like to feed mine a variety - babies get locust, Dubia roaches and mainly mealworms. Crix are fine - I don't feed them because I hate them and they always escape. Once your little ones are separated I am sure they will both (after a few days settling in to new quarters) start to feed well and have no need for waxies. I know this must all seem like a bit of a fuss but I also can tell that you really care and want the best for them. As they mature it should get easier. I look forward to seeing some pics, Julie
Old 22-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Forum Citizen

when my lads babys where skittish he took the hides etc out and put a loo roll in then waited till they went into the rolls and put the roll and leo into a spare tub to clean them out. they very quickly tamed down with him but not with any one they didnt know!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-08-2009, 08:31 PM
Ultra Citizen

cool i will do that then, i reckon 7-8 inch deep will be big enough for them not to climb out. would you say thats about right.

i was gonna post pics up, was showing them all round the pub yesterday but left my phone at work... typical aye? found the cable though

im not sure how much they was fed before i got them but they always have a supply of food i.e mealies. but i wanna give em a bit more variety than mealies. it would be like eating peanut butter your whole life with vitamin powder in, and that would suck even though i love peanut butter!

also what else can i gut load feederwith, so far they have gone through a cycle of carrot apple but cant think of what else? thinking potato but what else could i use?
Old 23-08-2009, 10:05 PM
Ultra Citizen

finally found the cable and my phone

this is both of them together:

this is 1 of them:

this is the other:

this is the viv they live in atm: changes have been made:

this is what happened to my finger when making the viv lol, top part got chopped off with a stanely blade...whoops:

sorry about grainy pics, my phone camera isnt that great and dont own a digi cam.
i came back today and they have gotten bigger noticeably, and demolished nearly all the food i left for them.

am gonna take you advice and separate them as soon as i can find big enough rubs. also gonna start feeding them seperatly. i weighed them again today and they are 7-8g now. i think maybe they was a little under nourished but things seem to be on the up. got small crix on order and they should be available mid week so that is when they will be seperated