cleaning a viv of very skitish leos - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 20-08-2009, 12:07 AM
Ultra Citizen
Reviews: 1
Default cleaning a viv of very skitish leos

i recently got 2 9 week old leos (sunday) and have been spot cleaning everyday, but how do i do a full clean, cos i want to do one every week, for hygene issues, but how do i remove them from the viv, they are abit skitich as they are so young and are still not used my smell, or the sight of my hand.

my question is, how do i get them out so i can clean the viv out properly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-08-2009, 01:45 AM
Oh God - not her AGAIN

Well they do need to start being handled but it is difficult at that age. One option is to do half the viv - leaving them in the other half, then scooting them over and doing the other half. Other than that I tend to put a cricket tub in the viv, shoo one into it, put lid on then and repeat with the other. You then have them both captive in tubs. It is a good oportunity to weigh them and give them a good look over for things such as retained shed etc. If it is going to take a while to clean the viv then you could cover the tubs with a tea towel or something to make them feel more secure and keep them warm.
Old 20-08-2009, 12:39 PM
Ultra Citizen

its worth a try. i keep putting my hand in every day to get them used to it. they seem to be warming to it and not just legging it, they sorta creep up real slow and smell and then walk over it, but if i just flinch they bolt lol. i dont have to do it for a few more days so hopefully will a bit of goading they will warm to my hand a little more.
one is 9 weeks 1 day old and the other is 8 weeks 2 days old.

whats a good weight for them at this age?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-08-2009, 07:43 PM
Oh God - not her AGAIN

They vary very much in weight but I would say round about the 20g mark. I have 2 clutch mates who hatched the same day. They are now 8 weeks and one weighs 26g and the other 16g and yet they are the same age, same parents and same husbandry. Neither are too fat or too thin - just one bigger (length) than the other.
You are doing well with taming them - at that age they often go mental at humans.
Old 20-08-2009, 11:29 PM
Ultra Citizen

woop. i noticed when i first put my hand in their throats were fluctuating alot (like a frog does) but now they have calmed it down, they still do it but not to the extent they did, i am gonna try and weigh them at the weekend.

will pick some crickets up tommorow and try them on them, so far they have just been eating mealies. i know i should get small crickets, but how small?
Old 20-08-2009, 11:53 PM
Oh God - not her AGAIN

They should be no bigger than the space between the leos eyes. Try not to leave uneaten crix in the viv as they can bite your babies. As you have two babies in the same viv it is a VERY good idea to weigh them regularly to make sure they both get enough to eat.
Old 21-08-2009, 01:11 AM
Ultra Citizen

i know about the space between thier eyes, but is that width or length? am gonna try and weigh them tommorow. but is there a way to fatten 1 up if its a little underweigh without the other 1 eating the food?
Old 21-08-2009, 01:28 AM
Oh God - not her AGAIN

Width - but crix are quite hard shelled so err on the side of smaller than larger. Tbh if they are fed in the viv together there is not much you can do to stop one being greedier than the other. What I would do is see if they will eat the crix in a separate feeding tub - one Leo at a time. This would then mean there are no crix left in the viv to bite your Leos or escape. You can also keep an eye on how much each one is eating. Then leave a bowl of mealies in the viv at all times. Make sure the food is well gut loaded and don't forget the calcium / vits.

A word of caution about keeping them together (hope I don't sound patronising - just trying to be helpful). They are too young to sex accuratey yet. Just be aware that if they turn out to be two males they will fight. If they are male and female they will breed at far too young an age. The chances are you will have to split them before too long - in fact I would split them now til you know what you have got.
Old 21-08-2009, 01:13 PM
Ultra Citizen

not patronising at all. i welcome the input. i was thinking of separating them. they have been incubated for female but better be safe than sorry, they seem to cuddle up alot, but thats probably nothing, ive seen no signs of fighting.

as i only have 1 viv would getting a rubinside the viv, for one of them, that is too high for them to climb out and keeping one bit warm be an idea?

i weighed them but i think my scales are abit out. i put the container on the scales before i turned it on so it read 0. i know the tub weighs 30 g. then when i put it back on with the leo inside it read 5g :S

ill post up picks when i can find my cable for my phone later on. they look healthy but this weight seems to be rather low, and im a little worried now
Old 21-08-2009, 08:29 PM
Oh God - not her AGAIN

Hi, using a rub inside the viv would be better as you could more closely monitor their eating, pooing etc. Even better would be to have the rub completely separate with its own heatmat / stat but that might not be possible for you? I think that they could do with weighing again as 5g would be VERY small at 9 weeks - I would expect mine to be that weight at 1 to 2 weeks. Although they have been incubated for female (sorry but SOME breeders will tell you this anyway) there is still a risk that they might not be, so until you are sure it is better to keep them apart imo.
Once they are older, obviously female and better established it should be possible to re-introduce them which would be lovely.