Need help with fish start up - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 23-08-2009, 08:38 PM
Regular
Default Need help with fish start up

hi all i have read the thread about the fish cycle and find it all abit complicated.i have stumbbled across a product called tetra safestart and would like some expert advice on this product.if i was to use this i was thinking of starting a new tank filling it with the water and leaving the temp in the 90s then add the tetra safe start, and leaving it for a few weeks while adding abit of food daily all done without the fish.if this is the correct way to do this then would i take 90 percent of the water out and add tap water then few days after add the fish ?.also what is the correct ph levels for a fish.im a newb in this area any help is verry much helpful.
aquarium fish tank i will be using.thnx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-08-2009, 08:50 PM
Gold Star Member

I've used Tetra Safestart on 2 tanks. You're supposed to get the tank up to temperature and then add the fish at the same time as Safestart. Worked for me and I know it has other people. Some old school fish keepers will tell you to avoid it like the plague though.

PH levels depend on the fish you want to keep.
Old 23-08-2009, 09:05 PM

You want to be getting yourself a test kit that will test Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate. Ideally you're waiting around for Ammonia & Nitrite to stay at a stable 0 reading for at least a week before adding fish. Using fish food to produce waste for the filter is one way of doing it, or adding ammonia from a bottle is another way. It's a long, drawn out process but it does prevent fish from ammonia or nitrite poisoning. You're looking at approx 4-6 weeks cycling. And after those results are stable, do a large 40% water change and you're ready to stock you're tank

You should be able to find a step by step Fishless Cycling log online

Personally I've never used any "quick start" bottles of cycling stuff, because the bacteria doesn't live long so therefore any bacteria once live in that bottle will be dead by the time you purchase it. Just another gimmick to make money. You could ask for mature media from a friend, or someone near by if they are willing to seed you're filter which will drastically cut down you're cycling time! Unfortunately someone sending it out in the post would also be useless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-08-2009, 01:32 AM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xweeqtx View Post
You want to be getting yourself a test kit that will test Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate. Ideally you're waiting around for Ammonia & Nitrite to stay at a stable 0 reading for at least a week before adding fish. Using fish food to produce waste for the filter is one way of doing it, or adding ammonia from a bottle is another way. It's a long, drawn out process but it does prevent fish from ammonia or nitrite poisoning. You're looking at approx 4-6 weeks cycling. And after those results are stable, do a large 40% water change and you're ready to stock you're tank

You should be able to find a step by step Fishless Cycling log online

Personally I've never used any "quick start" bottles of cycling stuff, because the bacteria doesn't live long so therefore any bacteria once live in that bottle will be dead by the time you purchase it. Just another gimmick to make money. You could ask for mature media from a friend, or someone near by if they are willing to seed you're filter which will drastically cut down you're cycling time! Unfortunately someone sending it out in the post would also be useless.
Brilliant advice, exactly how I started mine off with a fish less cycle. The PH depends on fish but if you source general tropical fish from near by but nothing at either extreme like discus or cichlids then they will most probably be working with water of the roughly the same PH as you. Remember not to load your tank all at once just a few fish at a time. Good luck with the new tank.
Old 24-08-2009, 08:58 PM
Regular

thnx for all the comments i guess i will take the advice and go with the fishless cycle and get myself a good test kit.great help.