Insect/Cabinet questions - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 25-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Regular
Question Insect/Cabinet questions

Probably a few dumb questions,but im wondering... I got a kricket keeper for my crickets, it come with food "bowls". Really just plastic lids. Are the crix smart enough to know the food is in the lids and be able to get to then? What about putting them in my fridge for a while before feeding to slow them down lol . My fridge is quite cold, on the highest setting i'd imagine. Would 5 minutes do, or 10? Last couple questions, For mealies and other insects, would putting them in a tupperware box with a few holes in do, or should i leave them in the plastic tub they came in untill feeding? And FINALLY, am having a bit of trouble with my viv cabinet. I think its too big for my vivarium, plus having problems with putting it up. Would it be okay to put the vivarium on the floor, just for now,until i sort a cabinet for it? Bearing in mind ihave six cats and don't want to stressthe beardie out? Phew! That was long, any answers would be GREATLY appreciated.
1.0 Royal Python
0.0.35 fish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-08-2009, 05:51 PM
Premier Citizen

My cricket keepers have never come with bowls, sure they ain't plastic lids to put over the end of the 'tubes', like? That's all mine came with lol. I just throw food in with 'em, they find it.

Put them in the fridge for 5 mins, that's what I do, slows 'em down good haha.

I leave them in the tubs they come in, but that's because I don't have many and use them quickly.

Vivarium'll be fine on the floor I should imagine.
Old 26-08-2009, 10:51 AM
Super Regular

would becarful tho with crix in fridge in hot weather as have been told by a rep dealer they can go to mush when brought back out lol
Not sure if true but hey i thought i would have a say
a lisa 0.1.0
wild childs 4.2.0
Dog 1.0.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-08-2009, 01:31 PM
Super Citizen

The last cricket keep i brought had little plastic dishes in too,i never used them as it's easier just to dump a handful of food in the tub.

Old 26-08-2009, 10:19 PM
Regular
Unhappy

Thanks, fed my beardie for the first time. What a nightmare! Locusts everywhere, climbing up my bed, under the duvet, behind furniture. Ewww... am not keen on insects, gives me a cold sweat thinking about them. She's worth it though
1.0 Royal Python
0.0.35 fish