Newb Tank Advice etc - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 28-08-2009, 12:11 PM
Egg
Default Newb Tank Advice etc

I'm thinking about(more decided tho) getting leopard geckos and was wondering if a tank that is 30L x 12D x 18H is big enough to house two of the little critters. Also i live in Orkney and am going to Aberdeen for them which will involve a 6 hour ferry trip home and was wondering about how to keep the gecko(s) comfortable on the trip so they don't get cold/uncomfortable on the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-08-2009, 01:43 AM
Oh God - not her AGAIN

Hi, Welcome. That viv size would just about be big enough for two adult Leos - but in a viv that size there really is not much room for them to get away from each other if they feel they need to and it would be difficult to get enough hides in there. You should always have a spare set-up (needs only be a plastic rub, heatmat and stat - you can improvise hides and dishes) in case they need to be separated in a hurry. There are many reasons that you may have to split them: They may not get on, one can be getting all the food, one may be dominated / bullied by the other, one may become ill and so they would need to be separated - sometimes at very short notice! Also I'm sure you know that you can't keep two males together (nor a male and female ideally - certainly while juvenile) so unless you are buying them at an age where you can determine the sex then be prepared to split them. Having said all that 2 together can work well - just be prepared to split if needed at short notice.
For the trip I would put a bit of kitchen towel in the bottom of cricket tubs, put one Leo in each, then use a polystyrene box or cool box with a hot water bottle(wrapped in a tea towel and not too hot) in the bottom. Or if you look on-line you can buy heat packs instead of hotwater-bottle. A couple of times through the trip I would open the box briefly to let air in and check the temps. Good luck and enjoy your little ones
Old 29-08-2009, 09:36 AM
Egg

Thanks for the help and the welcome. I have been reading up a lot of stuff and had read that two males is pretty much a death waiting to happen and the males tend to stress females so will be doing my best to stay away from getting males(plus don't want babies as a begginner to all this). I do have an old plastic fishtank in the flat so its not a problem if they do need splitting up, had dug it out for an enclosure while i would be cleaning them out so it'd be at arms reach.i hadn't though of a hot water bottle, might be the way to go and have a heat pad as a back up. Is there any shops in Aberdeen that are recommended or ones to stay away from?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-08-2009, 11:48 AM
Ultra Citizen

some kitchen roll in the bottom in cricket tubs and they should be fine really.. you could use a heatpad you can buy hand heaters or buy them online they have them available at www.thespidershop.co.uk in the tools section.

I hear of people keeping them in 24" so I don't see a problem.
Old 29-08-2009, 02:23 PM
Ultra Citizen
Send a message via AIM to gibby Send a message via MSN to gibby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad456m View Post
Thanks for the help and the welcome. I have been reading up a lot of stuff and had read that two males is pretty much a death waiting to happen and the males tend to stress females so will be doing my best to stay away from getting males(plus don't want babies as a begginner to all this). I do have an old plastic fishtank in the flat so its not a problem if they do need splitting up, had dug it out for an enclosure while i would be cleaning them out so it'd be at arms reach.i hadn't though of a hot water bottle, might be the way to go and have a heat pad as a back up. Is there any shops in Aberdeen that are recommended or ones to stay away from?
if i was to recommend 2 out of the 4 shops it would have to be reptiles on the green and eastcoast exotics
Old 29-08-2009, 06:35 PM
Egg

Those heat packs look quite handy to have around incase the hydro decides to cut out too. I had suspected that would be the answer for the shops from what i had read but wanted to make sure that was still the case. Have they both got a good selection of leos?