what reptile is appropriate??????//! - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 29-08-2009, 04:07 PM
Egg
Talking what reptile is appropriate??????//!

hi!
i really want to get a reptile, but i dont know which one would be good for a first time reptile owner. btw, im not just gonna go out and get one, put it in a tank, and watch it die because i cant look after it. i might actually not get a reptile a all. heres the info lol:
i have a 100 litre fish tank, its a hexagonal shape, and its ,more upwards, lol, if u get wat i mean: its like higher than it is wide lol
heres the reptiles i might get, and the reasons i want them:
green anole, because i just love them lol, they are cute, and, also, because they are aboreal and my tank is tall lol
leopard gecko, because they dont need uv light, and im not really allowed to use lots and lots of electricity
heres some reptiles i like a bit/i like / cant really look after/get/dont know much about yet lol:
house gecko
salamander: terrestrial/ i dont know an exact type
small terrapin thing? frog, maybe?
oh, and i like leaf katydids, they are a kind of grasshopper thing lol
oh, and i like armadillo lizards and bearded dragons and calotes

oh, my tank used to house fish, but then it sprang a leak at the top so we got a new tank, so i could put some water in it, but not a lolt

PLZ FORGIVE NEWBIE NESS! and kid ness lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-08-2009, 04:11 PM
Egg
Default oh!

oh, and i love tortoises as well, like hermann ones, and egyptian ones lol
i wont keep them in the tank though, of corse
Old 29-08-2009, 06:16 PM
Premier Citizen

Do you know the dimensions of the tank e.g. 1ft high x 2ft wide x 2ft deep ?

Leopard gecko's are usually the best first reptiles as they are easy to care for and don't cost much to keep but they're also really cool and pretty

I've got a care sheet on my website that tells you everything you need to know about leopard gecko's and there are some other care sheets on there as well about bearded dragons and other bigger lizards.

www.ReptilesGalore.co.uk

PM me if you want to know anything else. I know a little bit about tortoises as well
Advertisement

Old 29-08-2009, 06:40 PM
Egg
Default thanx!

thankyouu for your reply!

well, even though i said the tank is taller than it is high, ive just measured it now, and it is square lol, but it is hexagonal, so its hard to tell!
it is around about (sorry, i only had a ruler lol)1ft high and 1ft wide(the tank) it looks bigger, though..............

i dont think leopard geckos would fit, actually unless i bought young ones, and then moved them to a bigger tank lol, or just boght another tank!

Last edited by baddogreptile; 29-08-2009 at 06:48 PM..
Old 29-08-2009, 06:59 PM

I recommend Hermann tortoises, russian tortoises/horsfields, dwarf hermann tortoises.

These are great for beginners of reptiles, you could try a small relativly harmless snake as well if you like, or a gecko.

However, massive dragon lizards can be your demise, got bit by one, wuuugeee one, my hand had massive bit marks in.
Old 30-08-2009, 05:17 PM
Egg
Default .

well, that narrows my choices down a bit lol(thats good!): to maybe leopard geckos, and tortoises
Old 30-08-2009, 06:13 PM
Oh God - not her AGAIN

tbh I think that tank would be too small for tortoises or leopard geckos. Don't know what else to suggest tho - sorry
Old 31-08-2009, 10:00 AM
Super Regular

i wudnt keep a tortise in a fish tank. Go for a small corn or milk snake if u wana start with snakes even a baby royal, by the sounds of the size of the tank whatever u get u will have to upsize in ayears time neway, but im sure thats how 905 of the people on here got started coz thats how i did,
Not to sure about lizards tho mate neva kept any! Snakes are mainly curled up in the day sleepin the have cruise about at night but all the lizards ive seen are moving all the time!
Old 31-08-2009, 01:15 PM
Gold Star Member

Your tank sounds too small for nearly everything when full grown. You could go for a crested gecko keep it in there when young and move up to a bigger viv/tank/terrarium when older. The only thing I can think that will fit in more long term are mourning geckos but wouldnt call them a beginner lizard.

As for beginner snakes a cornsnake is always a good first snake and would fit in the tank as a hatchling but I wouldnt call it ideal. Also if you went for anything in that tank you are going to need to change the lid as fish tanks have cable holes in and filter points, all ways you rep could escape especially a snake.

I really think when getting your first rep that you find one you like and think you can look after then buy and design around them rather than trying to fit something in.

Last edited by oakelm; 31-08-2009 at 01:19 PM..
Old 31-08-2009, 01:36 PM
Super Regular

Ive Found that the best tank for a single Leopard Gecko is a 10 gallon vivarium, probably a Komodo one is best. A 10 gallon viv will be fine for them for all their life.