uro (Sudanese) - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 30-08-2009, 10:54 AM
Regular
Default uro (Sudanese)

Hi I have a Sudanese uro and I have had him for about two months,I am having trouble trying to handle him,at first after he had settled in for a few days and the only interaction was to put food in and admire him from afar and pick up poo,then i tried to pick him up for a few mins a day,this carried on for a couple of weeks thinking that he would get used to this but instead all it did was make him more nervous and frightened and would run away at any shadow that was cast. I have now taken the hands off apporoach as I thought that the stress of being caught and handled was becoming to much for him,so I am now back to just picking up poo nand putting in food,everything else is ok,temp lighting ect,has any one got any suggestions as he is a stunning little fellow and a beautiful blue colour.

Please help if you can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-08-2009, 10:58 AM
Ultra Citizen
Send a message via MSN to ashbosh Send a message via Skype™ to ashbosh

start of just resting your hand in there for a few mins a day, eventually he will leave the shadows and come investigate, slow movements, build that up putting your hands in and he will tame up to your presence. nice reptile to get by the way, i adore all uros!
Old 30-08-2009, 11:01 AM
Gold Star Member
Send a message via MSN to weeminx

most uro's dont appreciate being handled sadly.although some do tame down really well.
i would suggest keep doing what your doing,keep it at hands off for a little while,then start offering a wax worm once a week by hand.this might help him trust you.
just be patient with him,dont force the handling issue,im pretty sure you will gain his trust and he might let you handle him for a little while.
but like i said before uro's can be a right moody lizard and most prefer to be left alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-08-2009, 12:37 PM
Regular
Default uro (sudanese)

Hi guys thanks for that much needed advise,will certainly try your suggestions.