Reptile Forums banner

Baby Leos + Mealworms = ???

991 views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Crown Prince Of Crime 
#1 ·
A lady in my local Reptile shop said the you have to cut the heads of of Mealworms when you are feeding them to juvinile/sub-adult Leo's because they can eat their way out of a Leo's stomach, is this true? I have a book (The Leopard Gecko Manual wirtten by Philippe de Vosjoli) that dosent mention it so I'm not sure what to do.

#4 ·
*nods* yep it's a common myth ~ all my hatchlings and young leo's are raised on mainly mealies with crix, hoppers and roaches added and they're fine : victory:

#5 ·
thanks people, I was a bit worried about it but im glad to know that my leo is'nt in any risk of killer mealworms

Thanks

#7 ·
all of my babies are raised with mini-mealies along with crix/hoppers ~ infact their first meal is usually a mealie :lol2: and not only can they eat them they can fully digest them too ~ many breeders raise they're hatchling leo's on mealies : victory:

#8 ·
The breeders that I bought my leos from both used mealies as a staple for their hatchlings / juveniles (with occasional hoppers as a treat) and neither has ever experienced any problems.

#12 ·
my hatchlings have no probs with mini mealies either- its not that the worms will eat throught the stomachs, its just they are a little tougher to digest then some other livefoods.

i have had the occasional leo that has not digested mealies so well as others, but i have just picked out the lighter 'freshly shed' worms for those leos and they are fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.