bearded dragon begginer need help - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 30-08-2009, 05:09 PM
Default bearded dragon begginer need help

hey, my 9 week old bearded dragon is spending all of her time and i meen all of her time in some plastic tree like features that i have put in her tank, they are suspended from the top of the tank and she just sits up there all day every day. The only time she comes down from here is when i feed her, is this normall?

The other thing im a bit concerned about is that whenever i put my hand in the tank she sprints as far away from me as possible and when i do finaly manage to get her onto my hand she just jumps off, could you please explain to me why she does this?

thanks all aswnsers are much apriciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-08-2009, 05:16 PM

Newish owner here as well. We have 2 bbd's and one is like you have described and the other comes to the front of the tank and likes to be touched. I think it is just a personality thing.

The only other thing might be that it is trying to get closer to the heat source if its high up in the tank? Mine both like sitting in the placstic foilage when basking instead of sitting on the rock we provided.
Old 30-08-2009, 05:18 PM

yeh i geuss it could be but i put the temprature up tempurarily a while ago to see if it was that but it didnt make a difference,

more replys are much apriciated guys
thanks

Last edited by mattmanutd; 30-08-2009 at 05:35 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-08-2009, 05:49 PM
Oh God - not her AGAIN

Hi, welcome both. Mattmanutd - what are the temperatures in your viv - cool end, warm end and basking spot. Do you have a log or stone for your beardie to bask on? How close can it get to the uv. Also she may be trying to hide in the plant as she is still shy. A pic of your set-up would also help.
Behaviour wise it is still a baby and you can't really expect it to be tame yet. How long have you had her? If it is just a few days then leave her to settle for a week or so otherwise you will stress her. After that you can try just putting your hand quietly near her for a few minutes - let her get used to your smell. In a few days / weeks she will get confident enough to walk onto your hand.
Old 30-08-2009, 05:55 PM

ty, i will get a picture of my viv sorted soon, when she is on top of the plats she is within touching distance of the uv light as there is a wire across te top that leads to the uv that she lies on. im not 100% sure what the cool and hit tempratures are as i was instructed by the pet store to put a thermometre in the centre and get an average it is about 32 degrease celcius in there centre of the viv, one more thing that mite help you with this is that i have the heat lamp set to a habistat which sounded like a good idea at the time as it would keep my tempratures at the correct heat troughout the day and night but now im thinking about it, this is preventing the heat lamp from being on properly during the day so there isnt really much light for her to bask under hope the info i have provided has helped you out a bit i have had her for about 2 weeks now and i left it for a couple of days before i went near her. the only problem is that i cannot put my hand near her for her o get used to me as she is at the top of the tank tucked away by the uv light :/ ooh and yes i do have a rock and a log for her to bask on

Last edited by mattmanutd; 30-08-2009 at 06:00 PM..
Old 30-08-2009, 06:09 PM
Oh God - not her AGAIN

Right, now, I don't keep beardies and I'm hoping that a more experienced keeper will be along soon. Firstly tho the lights should be turned off at night - room temperature is usually fine. You should have a thermostat - that is good but you really, really do need to know what the temps are - at least at the basking spot and a digital thermometer is best, the dial ones are often way out. If the thermostat is making your basking bulb too dull then swap to a lower watt bulb - what are you using now? If she is trying to get away from the basking spot then perhaps it is too hot or perhaps she is trying to get more heat from the uv as the basking spot is too cold. Without knowing accurate temperatures (and these are about the most critical thing) it is impossible to know. Put the thermometer at the basking spot for now, get a reading and post pics.