Getting a baby beardie! - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 30-08-2009, 09:20 PM
Default Getting a baby beardie!

A family member has some babies and has said we can have one! I'm just wondering what equiptment I'll need?

I'm guessing the basics will be a tank, food bowl, some plastic foliage.

Do I need heat lamps or pads? Or both? I know it needs a warm end and a cooler end. Should I get the little stick on thermometers for each end?

Also, what flooring should I use in the tank? Can I use something reusable?

What do you feed yours on day to day? And does one get lonely on it's own. We arent at home during the day so we could always get two if it would make it happier!

Also, does anyone know any cheap online suppliers of reptile accessories?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-08-2009, 09:25 PM
Super Regular

hi if you go to care sheets there is all the information there,
Old 30-08-2009, 09:28 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntraVenus View Post
A family member has some babies and has said we can have one! I'm just wondering what equiptment I'll need?

I'm guessing the basics will be a tank, food bowl, some plastic foliage.
your looking to have a 4ftx2ftx2ft minimum for an adult and its easier to start with that from a baby to save money on multiple tanks. you'll need a hide a basking log/rock, foliage if you like, waterbowl, foodbowl.

Do I need heat lamps or pads? Or both? I know it needs a warm end and a cooler end. Should I get the little stick on thermometers for each end?
A heat bulb of the wattage that works for the right size tank will be sufficient and UVB tube (get the arcadia D3+, you'll need a starter unit to run this off) use digital thermometers, as stick on are inaccurate.

Also, what flooring should I use in the tank? Can I use something reusable? Lino, paper towels, Newspaper, slate tile.

What do you feed yours on day to day? And does one get lonely on it's own. We arent at home during the day so we could always get two if it would make it happier! crickets, locusts, cockroaches, butterworms, superworms/meal worms, phoenix worms. Nope beardies are territorial and males will fight with males once mature and males will bother females constantly so one on its own will be fine

Also, does anyone know any cheap online suppliers of reptile accessories?
www.livefoods.co.uk have pretty much the best prices.
cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-08-2009, 09:37 PM

Awesome, thanks for the quick reply...

Yeah, I was gonna speak to my local reptile shop about all that, but I wanted to ask people who weren't trying to sell me stuff first..

The relative we're getting him/her from said that they keep their worms (not sure which type they said..) in an old ice cream tub and they breed so they have a constant supply. Is this a good idea? It sounds like it would be..
Old 31-08-2009, 04:57 PM
Ultra Citizen

most of the "worms" are actually Larvae of a beetle or fly/moth so the chances are that they are unable to breed as "worms" although you can breed mealworms and superworms fairly easy, I have lots of little super and meal worms crawling around at the moment

Yep, always best to get advice from here instead of someone trying to sell you something.

you can buy crickets from www.livefoods.co.uk for cheap enough

don't hesitate to PM me

cheers.

Last edited by ex0tics; 31-08-2009 at 05:01 PM..