Is he upset at me? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 31-08-2009, 10:02 AM
Unhappy Is he upset at me?

Hi Guys,

This morning, i tried to hold my baby beardie: Jessy, and he was very skiddish, trying to run away even though he was in my hands...

...this was then followed by a series of arm waves (of both arms) at me while he was on top of his rock. Is he upset with me??

Please Help- i really don't want him to reject my handling him

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31-08-2009, 10:23 AM
Premier Member
Send a message via MSN to AuntyLizard Send a message via Skype™ to AuntyLizard

How long have you had him? He is not upset with you just a nervous. Try just gentley putting your hand inside and letting him get used to it being there. Hand feeding can also help you gain his trust.

If you imagine a giant hand chasing you around your house you might be a little scared.

Liz

It's good friends that walk beside you through the good times and carry you through the bad.
Old 31-08-2009, 10:39 AM
Red face Thanks!!

Hi, thank you...that's a relief.

He's only 12 weeks old, and i've had him 4 days (i know i shouldn't expect miracles over night) I've posted a pic of him below for you to see...
So, in ur advice, i ought to keep my hand in there until he gradually gets used to it?

many thanks,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31-08-2009, 10:44 AM
Regular
Default baby beardie

[QUOTE

...this was then followed by a series of arm waves (of both arms) at me while he was on top of his rock.
[/QUOTE]

Sometimes they do this display to another beardie to show they are not a threat and that they accept the others dominant position.
Old 31-08-2009, 11:45 AM

Lol sweet looks like it does respect you just needs to get used to the giantness of that which is you
Old 31-08-2009, 11:46 AM
Premier Member
Send a message via MSN to AuntyLizard Send a message via Skype™ to AuntyLizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFu_Dragon View Post
Hi, thank you...that's a relief.

He's only 12 weeks old, and i've had him 4 days (i know i shouldn't expect miracles over night) I've posted a pic of him below for you to see...
So, in ur advice, i ought to keep my hand in there until he gradually gets used to it?

many thanks,

Yeah allow him to come to you. Bless his heart he has probably been with other babies and is not uesed to being on his own either.

Try hand feeding him some veg or livefood, let him see that your not a threat to his existance.

Liz x

It's good friends that walk beside you through the good times and carry you through the bad.
Old 31-08-2009, 04:50 PM

yea as said in another post hand feeeding him might make him see your a good friend or something sorry if im just copying posts i just like to respond in a way that i know what im talking about lol got any more pics of him ? i love berdie pics speccily younglings
Old 01-09-2009, 07:19 PM
Super Regular

you should really give them about 1-2 weeks before handling them so they can be accustomed to their new home. try putting your hand into the tank once or twice a day without handling so it gets used to you. Gradually get closer until it is comfertable with you. You can also associate handling with a treat/food they enjoy to help calm it down.