First Time Leo Owner - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 01-09-2009, 04:02 PM
Hatchling

Hey Fraggle,

Thats some great advice there, thanks a bunch!

Ok so I would need another hide for one end of the tank, do you always have to have a moist hide? can they shed their skin whenever? and also which end of the tank is best for the moist hide warm or cool?

In regards to what substrate to use, I was going to go for playsand or lino, but after reading what you mentioned about the sand and how much cleaner it would be to use lino I think I may go for the latter!

About the heatmat/heatlamp I think in the deal I'm getting both so will probably just use the mat?

I'm definately going to purchase my little critter from a dealer on here, I love the look of these Trempers!

Again thanks for the advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2009, 06:18 PM
Oh God - not her AGAIN

Imo you should always have a moist hide in the viv. Although you will often be able to tell when a Leo is about to shed, I have found that they are not inclined to use a moist hide that has only just been put into the viv - they like things to be familiar to them. I keep my moist hides half on and half off the heat mat area - too cold and they won't use it - too hot and it drys out too quickly and makes the viv humid.
Some ppl like to use a lamp as well as a heatmat but it is not really considered necessary.
Substrate - I always use tiles (or Lino is just as good), some ppl use sand with no problems but I find that it is more difficult to keep clean, needs completely changing after a while, makes a horrible grating sound in the viv glass runners and does carry at least some risk of impaction especially for young Leos.
I have a couple of Tremper albinos (Gertie and Rosie) and they are beautiful.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:30 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jools View Post
I have a couple of Tremper albinos (Gertie and Rosie) and they are beautiful.
Thanks jools, I'm taking in so much info at the moment, the last thing I want to do is to be unprepared, I want my first rep to be very happy!

Do you have any pics of your Trempers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2009, 06:51 PM
Oh God - not her AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesEK4 View Post
Thanks jools, I'm taking in so much info at the moment, the last thing I want to do is to be unprepared, I want my first rep to be very happy!

Do you have any pics of your Trempers?
I do but I'm pants at posting pics - I am a grandmother after all
Old 01-09-2009, 07:42 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
I do but I'm pants at posting pics - I am a grandmother after all
lmao that is no excuse

Leopard Gecko and AFT Information, Care sheets, Health, Behaviour and much, much more.

*I'm a short, plump, grey-haired Grandmother ..... NOT a fella*
Understanding Leopard Gecko Behaviour
Research and read before you buy and breed!

Old 01-09-2009, 08:17 PM
Oh God - not her AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyD View Post
lmao that is no excuse
to you too Sleepy - I need all the excuses I can get
Old 02-09-2009, 12:58 AM
No Life Member

Quote:
Hey Fraggle,

Thats some great advice there, thanks a bunch!

Ok so I would need another hide for one end of the tank, do you always have to have a moist hide? can they shed their skin whenever? and also which end of the tank is best for the moist hide warm or cool?

In regards to what substrate to use, I was going to go for playsand or lino, but after reading what you mentioned about the sand and how much cleaner it would be to use lino I think I may go for the latter!

About the heatmat/heatlamp I think in the deal I'm getting both so will probably just use the mat?

I'm definately going to purchase my little critter from a dealer on here, I love the look of these Trempers!

Again thanks for the advice
heya!

as above, if you are using a heatmat stick the moist hide somewhere in the middle. it should be in there all the time, as already mentioned, mine sometimes use it as a hide even if they are not due a shed.

sleepyD has some great info and caresheets on her site- highly recommend it! shes helped me out with some nutritional info in the past when deciding which livefoods to favour as a staple diet

great move finding out all of your info before purchasing your leo- dont hesitate to ask a million questions on here- there are a lot of very good leo breeders and experienced owners who will be more than happy to help you make the perfect setup!
Old 02-09-2009, 04:00 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
to you too Sleepy - I need all the excuses I can get
Come on girls lets not bicker

Thanks Frags, yeah I have been on Sleepy's site, taking in a LOT of info! Overwhelmed but excited at the same time, lets call it apprehensive!
Old 02-09-2009, 04:07 PM
Oh God - not her AGAIN

Quote:
Come on girls lets not bicker

Thanks Frags, yeah I have been on Sleepy's site, taking in a LOT of info! Overwhelmed but excited at the same time, lets call it apprehensive!
No James we are not bickering - just having a bit of a tease. Sleepy's website is fab - easy to follow and full of sense - she really does know her Leos. I would follow what she says absolutely. You're really going to enjoy being a Leo keeper - but you know you won't be able to help buying more don't you
Old 02-09-2009, 06:42 PM
Hatchling

Ha! yeah I know I'm going to get the bug! Well I was thinking of going for two straight away but decided on the one, with the second coming along after about a month or two of having the first, and will make sure to get one around the same size as the other (done my homework )