How many beardies can i keep in a 4foot viv - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 02-09-2009, 02:00 AM
Question How many beardies can i keep in a 4foot viv

Hi, I have been given mixed responses over how many Bearded Dragons I can keep in one vivarium.

I currently have an 8 month old Bearded Dragon male. And he lives in a very spacious 4 foot wooden viv, with sliding glass front. Can I add another Bearded Dragon? If so, what would be best male or female? And how many?

Hope anyone can help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2009, 06:40 AM
5 Star Member

They are best kept singly.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:52 AM
Ultra Citizen

You can add a female but will probably breed and then they will need separating anyway or he will pester her
0.1.0 Lionhead
1.0.0 Syrian Hamster
0.2.0 Daughters
1.0.0 Son
click here for caresheets:-Turkistan Roaches , Bearded Dragon aftercare and mini-caresheet, Breeding Bearded Dragons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2009, 07:48 AM
Super Regular

If you had a single female though, would you be able to add another one into that tank? (relying on the fact they get on )
Old 02-09-2009, 08:38 AM
Ultra Citizen

I don't think a 4 foot tank is big enough for two beardies - personally. I would want at least a 5x2x2 for two female beardies and you still have the possibility that they would fight and you would still need the spare set up in case this happened.
Males are very difficult to keep together. They are very likely to fight. It would be the exception to the rule to find two male beardies housed together that don't fight and just because they don't yet doesn't mean they never will.
Beardies are not sociable creatures and you would need a very big habitat to try it. Not worth it in my opinion.
Since you would need a back up set up in case fighting occurs you'd be as well just getting another set up and keeping them singularly.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:54 PM
Ultra Citizen

In my opinion yes you can keep 2 females together in a 4ft viv, but you may still get bullying and dominance !
0.1.0 Lionhead
1.0.0 Syrian Hamster
0.2.0 Daughters
1.0.0 Son
click here for caresheets:-Turkistan Roaches , Bearded Dragon aftercare and mini-caresheet, Breeding Bearded Dragons
Old 02-09-2009, 03:16 PM
Ultra Citizen

males will very often overbreed females if kept together

keeping females together depends on the females themself. given the option, the majority of my females choose to be near each other (and not just because they happen to want to be in the same place at the same time)
but females can also display dominance, so theres no set rules with anything

seeing as yours is a male, i really wouldn't recommend getting another to live in the same vivarium

he could overbreed a female and cause negetive effecst towards her health (there are a lot of problems related to females being over bred, not just the obvious weight loss)

and i would never suggest introduing another male to him. He's been living alone, introducing a male to him WILL result in them atleast displaying to each other, possible fights, bites, injuries, or at the very least, one male being suppressed which could cause problems with eating etc.

please, if you want another beardie, get another viv if you want more than one more (in a new viv) then get females.
the majority of people who own bearded dragons say its acceptable to keep a trio in a 4x2 viv. There are people on either side of this fence, who say only one, and others who say more.

when it comes down to it, it's up to you to make a sensible judgment taking your animals interests into consideration