setting up my viv heat mat help - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 15-08-2010, 12:30 AM
Egg
Default setting up my viv heat mat help

Hi I am just setting up my viv for a boa i will be getting soon, i was advised by the shop to get a heat bulb to be used in the day and a heat mat to be used at night. On the heat mat instructions it says place under the viv on top of polystyrene sheet & a 5mm air gap should be left between mat and viv. I have a wooden viv and wondered if this was going to heat it up ok, i have also seen vivs set up with heat mats inside but was worried about this burning the snake even though it would be on a thermostat, is there something you place over the heat mat to prevent this, could someone please give me some advice on whats best to do
Many Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-08-2010, 12:45 AM
Ultra Citizen
Send a message via MSN to nooney165

stick the mat inside the viv on the floor and put the polly over it have the probe on top of your substrate and use a digital thermometer to check your temps but i would use ceramics for boas hope this helps

Old 15-08-2010, 12:55 AM
Banned

you don't really want a heat mat for a boa, they're ok for babies but not adults due to the weight of the snake and thermal blocking.

As long as the mat is on a thermastat you shouldn't have any problems with it burning (unless it's an adult boa); but like Nooney said, you'd be better replacing the bulb with a ceramic to use 24/7.
Did the shop tell you to buy a bulb guard?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-08-2010, 12:23 AM
Egg

Thank you for the advice, no the shop didnt mention a guard but i know its a must. It is a baby im getting so i have time to change the lamp, i think they must have chose a heat buld over a ceramic so it lights the viv? what do you think about hides as i've read that too many can cause a boa to become viv defensive.
Old 16-08-2010, 12:28 AM
Ultra Citizen
Send a message via MSN to nooney165

i have a hide on hot and cool side water bowl on cool side and some decorations he/she is happy