Premier Citizen

some people get a kick out of it sadly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-11-2010, 10:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novus View Post
Recently my boyfriend and I have tried to switch our ball python's feeding. She has been eating frozen mice since we got her and her previous owners fed her frozen mice as well. We decided to try feeding her live mice 1. Because it will be WAY less money in the long if we buy the mice live, and even less money if we just breed them 2. We heard that snakes prefer live mice and that it is better for them (natural instincts and all that)

So we bought some mice and once they were in the room she came out of her hiding hole and starting looking around for the mice while she was in her cage (a good sign from what I've researched) and we tried feeding one to her multiple times. The first time the mouse was pretty much knocked out and she didn't go for the mouse, even after it woke up and started moving around. Then we just put in a mouse and let it run around her feeding bin and she didn't go for it. The mouse was crawling on her, trying to get under her and then just took a nap in the corner.

Any tips on how to get her to eat a live mouse? Or is she just not a snake that eats mice live?
hi, i had this problem too. What you need to do is suck the mouse before feeding it. Give it a right good suck and lick so it smells like human spit.
Eyeball85 likes this.
Old 13-11-2010, 10:41 PM
Super Citizen

novus u clown!!!!! get a grip if it aint broke....
Advertisement

Old 14-11-2010, 01:40 AM
Egg

There is a pet shop where we live and it sells mice $1.00 per mouse, but for frozen mice it can range anywhere from $10-$15 depending on what size the mouse is and they come 4 mice to a pack. Right now our snake is on large mice and we feed her once a week. So she's going through 4 mice a month. Frozen mice cost us $15 a month, live mice will cost us $4 a month and we already have a cage, feeding bowl, house, water, all of the things for the mice because our friend used to have mice but they all escaped.
Old 14-11-2010, 01:46 AM
Ultra Citizen

I'm assuming by the fact you used the $ symbol you're in the USA?

If so, just order online from Rodentpro. Even their extra large adult mice are only $0.55 each if you're ordering less than 500 ($13.75 per bag of 25).

Work out how many of the current size you're gonna need until you need to go up a size. Then work out how many of that next size up you're gonna need until you go up again, then order all those, and just store 'em in the freezer until you need them.

Even with the shipping it'll work out cheaper than buying live or frozen locally.
Old 14-11-2010, 02:32 AM
Posting Deity

I have no faith in this species....
Charlottie likes this.

Tai Beauty Snake - Orthriophis taeniura friesei
Old 14-11-2010, 04:28 AM
No Life Member
Send a message via MSN to joeyboy

hmm I suppose they're probably in the States, I suppose some folks don't like the idea of keeping frozen mice, so buying one live feeder mouse (as they're bred and sold for the purpose) at a time might be more convenient. But honestly I'd just stick to frozen, on the off chance the mouse does attack the snake it could cause serious damage. May as well do the safer method if it accepts pre-killed.

"A loss of religious belief has led the West to replace reason and truth with ideology and prejudice"- Melanie Phillips

"Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things."
Old 14-11-2010, 05:20 AM
Super Citizen
Send a message via MSN to ShaunIOW

Quote:
Recently my boyfriend and I have tried to switch our ball python's feeding. She has been eating frozen mice since we got her and her previous owners fed her frozen mice as well. We decided to try feeding her live mice 1. Because it will be WAY less money in the long if we buy the mice live, and even less money if we just breed them 2. We heard that snakes prefer live mice and that it is better for them (natural instincts and all that)

So we bought some mice and once they were in the room she came out of her hiding hole and starting looking around for the mice while she was in her cage (a good sign from what I've researched) and we tried feeding one to her multiple times. The first time the mouse was pretty much knocked out and she didn't go for the mouse, even after it woke up and started moving around. Then we just put in a mouse and let it run around her feeding bin and she didn't go for it. The mouse was crawling on her, trying to get under her and then just took a nap in the corner.

Any tips on how to get her to eat a live mouse? Or is she just not a snake that eats mice live?
Is it April the 1st already?

Quote:
There is a pet shop where we live and it sells mice $1.00 per mouse, but for frozen mice it can range anywhere from $10-$15 depending on what size the mouse is and they come 4 mice to a pack. Right now our snake is on large mice and we feed her once a week. So she's going through 4 mice a month. Frozen mice cost us $15 a month, live mice will cost us $4 a month and we already have a cage, feeding bowl, house, water, all of the things for the mice because our friend used to have mice but they all escaped.
If you're that worried by a few $ then I'd suggest you find a good home for the snake where it'll be looked after properly and be safe from the actions of idiots.

1.0.0 Royal Python (normal) - Tyr
1.0.0 Corn Snake (anerythristic) - Ares
0.1.0 Russian Rat Snake (hi gold) - Freya
1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake - Shadow
0.0.1 Chequered Garter Snake (normal) - Cinder
1.0.0 Dione Rat Snake (normal, Russian locale) - Jasper
0.1.0 Dwarf Red Pastel Boa - Doro

Old 14-11-2010, 05:24 AM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunIOW View Post
Is it April the 1st already?

If you're that worried by a few $ then I'd suggest you find a good home for the snake where it'll be looked after properly and be safe from the actions of idiots.

Tai Beauty Snake - Orthriophis taeniura friesei
Old 14-11-2010, 09:47 AM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meko View Post
hi, i had this problem too. What you need to do is suck the mouse before feeding it. Give it a right good suck and lick so it smells like human spit.
ive heard meko likes a good suck on a male pinkie especially

Charlottie and MustLoveSnails like this.

Tags
feeding ball python , snake