Thinking about another reptile/amphibian - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 18-08-2011, 08:15 PM
Forum Citizen
Default Thinking about another reptile/amphibian

Hi folks,
I have recently acquired a very beautiful female Leopard Gecko who unfortunately has had a rough start in life. Her previous owner never seemed to do any research and as such I think 'Sunny' (our new name for her) is wee bit underweight etc.
She came to us in a plastic vivarium without heat-bulbs etc, but I have now transferred her into a larger wooden viv and kitted it out nicely.

May I at this point just say a huge 'Thanks' to all the people on this forum as this is my first port of call any time I want to know anything

So...I now have a 'spare' viv sitting here doing nothing. It is a Pennine Vivarium (24" long x 17" width x 17" tall) and is plastic with glass sliding doors.
I have placed a sales ad on this forum, but the more I think about it, the more I fancy the idea of keeping it and stocking it with something else.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I could keep in this size of viv?

I am open to either reptiles or amphibians as I have previously kept Red Eyed Tree Frogs so know a wee bit about them, but would want something more 'interesting' (if you know what I mean?).
We are very conscientous animal keepers and would always research info first, and give the animal whatever it needs for it to be 'happy'.

They would also have to be small (to not outgrow the viv), and ideally 'handle-able' so that my fiancee can coo over them too.

So please fire away with suggestions folks.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-08-2011, 11:38 AM
Forum Citizen

Decision made: A hatchling Anery Corn
inkiepixie likes this.
Old 25-08-2011, 01:42 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimeomg View Post
Decision made: A hatchling Anery Corn

Hi, good decision on the corn. Just to point out that your viv is fine for the time being but your corn will need a bigger viv in the future. At least a 3ft viv. Also can you just clarify what heating you are using for your Leo as you mentioned a bulb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-08-2011, 05:15 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexiT View Post
Hi, good decision on the corn. Just to point out that your viv is fine for the time being but your corn will need a bigger viv in the future. At least a 3ft viv. Also can you just clarify what heating you are using for your Leo as you mentioned a bulb.
Hi,

The Corn will stay in the smaller viv until it is around 18 months old then be transferred into a 3ft viv as you say.
My Leo had a 60w heat-bulb in it's viv, making the ambient temperature at that side an average of 31.3 degrees. I have recently changed that to just a red bulb however (Tesco fireplace one) as the slates were getting just a wee bit too hot I think. 'Sunny' seems very happy now and has gained weight (and colour) very well.
Old 25-08-2011, 08:44 PM
Forum Citizen

Good decision Hatchling corns are very nervous of large spaces and can go off their food, it would be better off in a smaller RUB or large faun to start with. Make sure you post lots of piccies when you get the little fella!

Tags
amphibian , small reptile