A question for all you Leo keepers... - Page 10 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 13-01-2012, 10:56 AM
Regular
Send a message via MSN to glazios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluck79 View Post
I am also a new owner (Son Christmas present) While my brother did well researching like yourself he spent around the £150 mark on the set-up - I have since spent a further £100 to correct things and to make it both look pretty and to reasure things are right for little Barry. Bugs at Pets at Home are quite cheap 2 pots for £6, which I got through on a week to 10 day cycle. I am new I am nieve so I am still learning. Please listen to these guy's they are the best advice so far.
Ah, welcome aboard! ^_^

Okay, that was weird... first time I've been able to say that. xD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-01-2012, 11:16 AM
Regular
Wink Wet Hides

Oh and I ask stupid questions everyday - and still people are polite to me !!!

I am having problems with my wet hide I have laid wet tissue on the bottom folded. Is this correct or should it be like a hamster bed all shedded so it can be tunnelled??
Old 13-01-2012, 11:39 AM
Regular

Quote:
Oh and I ask stupid questions everyday - and still people are polite to me !!!

I am having problems with my wet hide I have laid wet tissue on the bottom folded. Is this correct or should it be like a hamster bed all shedded so it can be tunnelled??
Most people tend to use sphagnum moss, because it lasts longer and is usually available for pretty cheap at most pet shops. It's easy enough to do, just grab a small handful and spread it around in the moistbox until it covers the bottom, damp down with water until wet to the touch, and put it in the viv. Just don't put half the box in like I did, the first time you set it up, lol.

The only problem I have with sphagnum moss is that it's very dusty out of its packaging (if a cardboard box can be called that ¬_¬ ) and can make a bit of a mess, but that can be remedied by keeping it in sandwich bags. One box will probably fill about 3 bags, and if you only use enough to make a carpet that's about 1cm thick when wet, you can get two out of each bag.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-01-2012, 11:53 AM
Regular

it cost me for 4 leos bout £15 every 2 week's nut the set up cost me bout £100-£150 depending on how you wana keep them

1.1.2 leopard gecko's
1.1.0 bearded dragon's
0.2.0 tokay gecko's
0.0.1 corn snake
1.0.0 chillie rose tarantula
0.0.1 emperor scorpion
Old 13-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Premier Member
Reviews: 8

Glazios - if you want to try toys, you go ahead, just use common sense about things that might hurt them. Mine seem to like things to climb on, and are certainly intrigued when I have a change around!

About the wet hide, I use sphagnum moss, can re-dampen it a good few times usually, unless your gecko chooses to make the damp hide a loo, as one of mine has! I used loo roll just last week when I ran out of moss, won't do it again, useless in my opinion. Dried out quickly and left bits on my gecko.
Setting up an arboreal vivarium with pictures
PM me and i'll help if I can
Old 13-01-2012, 08:20 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
I am also a new owner (Son Christmas present) While my brother did well researching like yourself he spent around the £150 mark on the set-up - I have since spent a further £100 to correct things and to make it both look pretty and to reasure things are right for little Barry. Bugs at Pets at Home are quite cheap 2 pots for £6, which I got through on a week to 10 day cycle. I am new I am nieve so I am still learning. Please listen to these guy's they are the best advice so far.
Down here it's 3 pot's for £6.
Old 14-01-2012, 01:50 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty667 View Post
Yeah I get 3 pots for £6 here too
Old 14-01-2012, 02:06 PM
Regular

Quote:
Bugs at Pets at Home are quite cheap 2 pots for £6, which I got through on a week to 10 day cycle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty667 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardgecko27045 View Post
Yeah I get 3 pots for £6 here too

Oh, look at that -- another reason to never buy anything from Pets at Home! We've got quite a few of those now.
Old 14-01-2012, 03:25 PM
Premier Member
Reviews: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by glazios View Post
Oh, look at that -- another reason to never buy anything from Pets at Home! We've got quite a few of those now.
The Pets at Home near me has so far been fantastic - don't think all stores deserve the bad name a few seem to have tarred them all with!

I also get 3 for £6, surely the guy who said 2 has either made a mistake or it's a typo, no-one in their right mind would pay £6 for 2 pots of waxworms/mealies/whatever!
Setting up an arboreal vivarium with pictures
PM me and i'll help if I can
Old 14-01-2012, 03:55 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstypical View Post
The Pets at Home near me has so far been fantastic - don't think all stores deserve the bad name a few seem to have tarred them all with!

I also get 3 for £6, surely the guy who said 2 has either made a mistake or it's a typo, no-one in their right mind would pay £6 for 2 pots of waxworms/mealies/whatever!
Was in the Pets at Home down in Cardiff Retail Park yesterday, checking out their stock; the animals in general were overpriced, overcrowded and under-cared-for. Some of the leos in one tank were literally scabby, as though they'd been fighting each-other; one of them was missing a leg, and another was actually *blind*.

Worse still, the guy I spoke to about Leos had no idea what he was talking about - it took a me a second to realise that the care advice he was giving me was actually for Bearded Dragons. How the hell can you confuse a Leo with a Beardy?!

I mentioned that I keep my Leos on lino; he said that I should be keeping them on sand, because apparently "it's healthier for them". I told them that wasn't a good idea because of the risk of impaction in hatchlings and younger animals - and he laughed and said impaction is a myth! I asked him which option was healthier for leos, mealworms or waxworms, and he said waxworms were the best because they have 'a higher nutritional value'.

The man was just making stuff as he went to make himself sound like he knew it all. Everything he said was either complete nonsense or an outright fabrication of the facts. I've never heard so much complete B.S. from shop staff before in my life. He had absolutely no idea how to care for a Leopard Gecko, and the Beardy advice he was spouting wasn't too clever either.

Last edited by glazios; 14-01-2012 at 03:59 PM..

Tags
leopard gecko