A question for all you Leo keepers... - Page 11 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 14-01-2012, 04:21 PM
Regular

i hate my one for to reason's putting my shop out of buisness and there live food's are practicly dead
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-01-2012, 04:43 PM
Premier Member
Reviews: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by glazios View Post
Was in the Pets at Home down in Cardiff Retail Park yesterday, checking out their stock; the animals in general were overpriced, overcrowded and under-cared-for. Some of the leos in one tank were literally scabby, as though they'd been fighting each-other; one of them was missing a leg, and another was actually *blind*.

Worse still, the guy I spoke to about Leos had no idea what he was talking about - it took a me a second to realise that the care advice he was giving me was actually for Bearded Dragons. How the hell can you confuse a Leo with a Beardy?!

I mentioned that I keep my Leos on lino; he said that I should be keeping them on sand, because apparently "it's healthier for them". I told them that wasn't a good idea because of the risk of impaction in hatchlings and younger animals - and he laughed and said impaction is a myth! I asked him which option was healthier for leos, mealworms or waxworms, and he said waxworms were the best because they have 'a higher nutritional value'.

The man was just making stuff as he went to make himself sound like he knew it all. Everything he said was either complete nonsense or an outright fabrication of the facts. I've never heard so much complete B.S. from shop staff before in my life. He had absolutely no idea how to care for a Leopard Gecko, and the Beardy advice he was spouting wasn't too clever either.
The one near me has knowledgable staff as far as I can tell, the livefoods are actually alive, and the frozen food is very well priced for a shop. The animals are bright-eyed, alert and healthy. Yes, the animals are expensive, but for that price you get more rights that if you met Joe Average from the forums at a petrol station and parted with some cash for an animal.
Setting up an arboreal vivarium with pictures
PM me and i'll help if I can
Old 14-01-2012, 05:49 PM
Regular

My Pets at Home (Oxford) have also been brilliant. Even when i have been in and asked for trained staff, they have been totally honest if they don't know and read through leaflets with me. I have had no problems, although their stock of live foods have let me down on a couple of occasions. Hopefully Cardiff is an isolated store.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2012, 06:13 PM
Regular
Send a message via MSN to glazios

Alright guys, here with another query. Blitzy's looking a bit thin to my eye, and I can't be 100% sure that she's eating enough, so I weighed both her and Stoick to compare them;
  • Blitz: 1.5yrs - 2yrs old; 60g / 2.10oz
  • Stoick: 6mths 1yr old; 73g / 2.55oz
I'm not sure that Blitz is very well. She seems lethargic, spending lots of time hiding in the moist box, and I don't often see her on the warm side of the viv at night. That said, Stoick spends much more time chasing crickets, whereas Blitz will snap one up if it happens to wander by slowly enough.

I'm probably just being a paranoid worry-wart really, I hope it's just that - but I'd like to be sure, to be on the safe side. I'll weigh them both again in a few days, and if Blitz has lost any more weight, I'll be booking an appointment at Valley Vets.

What do you guys consider a healthy weight for your leo geckos? Is there a standard age-to-weight table somewhere I can refer to?
Old 14-07-2012, 11:46 PM
Regular

Hey, guys.

Trying to come up with ways to let my Leos out of the viv for a wander/some exercise without them getting loose. I was thinking about maybe getting them a hamster ball, see how they take to it, but I'm not sure.

The point is that they can wander around the room in the ball without getting lost under the bed or behind cupboards; they love to come out, and to run, but as-is, they've only ever been on the bed, and they both like to try their luck in getting to the floor. I have no other pets, nothing that could chase the ball or knock it around.

What do you guys think - has anyone ever tried, or heard of anyone trying this? Do you think I should give it a go?
Old 14-07-2012, 11:57 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by glazios View Post
Hey, guys.

Trying to come up with ways to let my Leos out of the viv for a wander/some exercise without them getting loose. I was thinking about maybe getting them a hamster ball, see how they take to it, but I'm not sure.

The point is that they can wander around the room in the ball without getting lost under the bed or behind cupboards; they love to come out, and to run, but as-is, they've only ever been on the bed, and they both like to try their luck in getting to the floor. I have no other pets, nothing that could chase the ball or knock it around.

What do you guys think - has anyone ever tried, or heard of anyone trying this? Do you think I should give it a go?
LOL, I wouldn't try that, If you spend a lot of time on your leo it will come out and sit with you. My female will sit out with me on my bed when I am watching the tv or cleaning the cages and will not try to run away.

If you have any questions on Leopard Geckos(Eublepharis Macularius), Veiled Chameleons
(Chamaeleo calyptratus), Or anything you think I could help you with feel free to message me.
Old 19-03-2013, 06:55 PM
Regular

Hey guys. Got another question. I did a quick search of the Newbie forum and got no joy, so I'll throw it up here so you knowledgeable bunch can pick over it. =P

Okay, so I have a problem with the heat gradient in my Leo viv. I recently put temp probes into the hides, and have discovered that the temp in the cool hide is a rather worrying 90F/32C during the day. The Leopard Gecko Manual and various care sheets recommend that the cool side be 80F/26C at the warmest during the day, so clearly I'm doing something wrong here, but I can't seem to figure out what. But in my opinion, it's to do with the in-tank lighting.

I've currently got a 60watt R80 Diffused Reflector bulb going in there, mainly because that's the bulb type that was provided with the setup by Reptile Cymru, and I assume they know what they're doing (pitfall of many a noob, I know _). But the problem, I think, is that this big-aft bulb is overheating the vivarium.

Summer last year was a nightmare, because I had to scramble to find ways to actively cool the vivarium down during daylight hours, because it was readily heating up to almost 120F/48C in there with the sun beating down on the roof (my room and viv are in the attic). I really don't want to have to subject myself or my geckos to that nonsense again this year.

People say, "Oh, just turn the bulb off," but they're Leos and they need an idea of the light cycle to tailor their sleeping habits, so I don't want to confuse and stress them by arbitrarily cutting off their light source like that.

So my question is this: Would it negatively-affect my geckos if I put a smaller/less-powerful bulb in there? Do they really need the 60watt Reflector, or can I justify using a much-less powerful bulb that produces less heat? The point of having a reflector is that it produces heat in the first place, I know, but what if it produces too much heat?

If they don't need all that in there, how low should I go in the wattage? A 40watt reflector seems more reasonable than a 60watt to me, but I don't know what kinds of temperatures that will produce - still too much? Not enough?

Thanks in-advance for the advice, guys. ^_^
Old 19-03-2013, 07:28 PM
Regular

When I use lights on my Leo's I use 15w bulbs in a 2 foot viv, any more and it's too warm. I have 8 vivs with Leo's in at the mo and none of them are on lights only heat mats. They are all happy and healthy with fat tails

4.2.0 Leopard Gecko 0.1.0 Bearded dragon 0.1.0 Crevice spiny lizard

Last edited by tommivercetti; 19-03-2013 at 08:06 PM..
Old 19-03-2013, 07:34 PM
Premier Member
Reviews: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommivercetti View Post
When I use lights on my Leo's I use 15w bulbs in a 2 foot viv, anymore and it's too warm. I have 8 vivs with Leo's in at the mo and none of them are on lights only heat mats. They are all happy and healthy with fat tails
I agree. It's nigh on impossible to have a decent gradient with a bulb in a 2ft viv, which a lot of leos live in. Bulbs raise the ambient temps too much
Setting up an arboreal vivarium with pictures
PM me and i'll help if I can
Old 19-03-2013, 07:41 PM
Super Regular

I put my Uro in a rat ball so he can run around the house. My Leos didn't seem to take to it, not to say yours won't. One of my Leos likes to run back and forth on the window ledge chasing the cars outside. He's not the brightest bulb in the box but we love him. His daughter is very active and likes to leap randomly, legs spread out like she's emulating some sort of flying squirrel. Other times she'll sit and have her back rubbed, arching it like a little cat. I think it all depends on the personality of your Leos. Some will curl up beside you, others are a bit more intrepid.

Tags
leopard gecko