A question for all you Leo keepers... - Page 4 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 11-12-2011, 12:49 AM
Premier Member
Reviews: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by glazios View Post
My two new purchases are indeed Leos, and I don't own any other reptiles at this point in time.

Please excuse me if I seem a bit distant tonight, as I am just about to pass out on my feet. It's beena long and tring day, and I really need some sleep
Don't apologise to me

I think we misunderstood each other is all. Are you keeping the two new Leos in the same habitat?
Setting up an arboreal vivarium with pictures
PM me and i'll help if I can
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2011, 08:12 AM
Regular
Send a message via MSN to glazios

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstypical View Post
Don't apologise to me

I think we misunderstood each other is all. Are you keeping the two new Leos in the same habitat?
Yes, they will be kept in the same habitat, once we bring them home next weekend. I now have a 3ft viv waiting for them, which is a damn-sight bigger than the 2ft I was expecting to get, to be honest, but at least they'll have lots of space...and knowing myself the way I do, lots of space will probably mean lots of company at some point, lol.

I still can't quite get my head around the idea that one of my first pair of Leos will be a Blazing Blizzard.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:44 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Yes, they will be kept in the same habitat, once we bring them home next weekend. I now have a 3ft viv waiting for them, which is a damn-sight bigger than the 2ft I was expecting to get, to be honest, but at least they'll have lots of space...and knowing myself the way I do, lots of space will probably mean lots of company at some point, lol.

I still can't quite get my head around the idea that one of my first pair of Leos will be a Blazing Blizzard.
Don't know how to say it without sounding like i'm trying to burst your bubble, but there are some possible problems with housing them together. Firstly, be absolutely positive, they are both female. I bought a male MHD from a reputable reptile shop and it turned out to be gravid, hence a female. Secondly, have they been together before? Even if they have, chances are they may at some point start fighting. I'd say there's a higher chance for you, as they are different sizes/ages. Trust me, i've not just read it from a website, I speak from experience. If you really want to keep them together, have a spare viv ready in case of fighting, they will need separating and you must have a viv ready. Also, I wouldn't put any more than 2 in there. My Leo's have 2ft of space each, 3ft is not really big enough for more than 2.

Hope you take the advice the way it was intended
yellrat likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2011, 10:43 PM
Regular

Quote:
Don't know how to say it without sounding like i'm trying to burst your bubble, but there are some possible problems with housing them together. Firstly, be absolutely positive, they are both female. I bought a male MHD from a reputable reptile shop and it turned out to be gravid, hence a female. Secondly, have they been together before? Even if they have, chances are they may at some point start fighting. I'd say there's a higher chance for you, as they are different sizes/ages. Trust me, i've not just read it from a website, I speak from experience. If you really want to keep them together, have a spare viv ready in case of fighting, they will need separating and you must have a viv ready. Also, I wouldn't put any more than 2 in there. My Leo's have 2ft of space each, 3ft is not really big enough for more than 2.

Hope you take the advice the way it was intended
Firstly, thank you for the advice, I;m sure it will come in-handy at some point, and it had already crossed my mind that, due to the age difference between them, they might not immediately chum up.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if there's much I can do if they decide they don't like each-other, aside from seperating them; that said, I have neither the money or, more-importantly, the space for a second vivarium, and seperating them by putting one in an Exo-Terra faunarium is the only thing I can think of off the top of my head.

Unless anyone has some further advice, this may be my only recourse should this sort of situation occur. They were bought together, and I really can't ask the shop to take one back, like some tee-shirt that doesn't fit, just because they don't get along - I didn't pay for them, my dad did.

Again, thank you for making me aware of this as a potential problem. I suppose I'll have to have a word with the people at Reptile Cymru about this, see what they can suggest; until then, I'm going to do some in-depth research into a solution that makes best use of the resources I already have. This would be a nightmare scenario, and I can't believe I didn't think of this...

Also, to answer your other question: Yes, I am sure that both are female; Ben (the guy on the counter) checked the geckos in-front of me while we were in the shop when I told them I was specifically looking for females. I coudn't see any pre-anal pores on either gecko.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:31 AM
Premier Member

Quote:
Firstly, thank you for the advice, I;m sure it will come in-handy at some point, and it had already crossed my mind that, due to the age difference between them, they might not immediately chum up.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if there's much I can do if they decide they don't like each-other, aside from seperating them; that said, I have neither the money or, more-importantly, the space for a second vivarium, and seperating them by putting one in an Exo-Terra faunarium is the only thing I can think of off the top of my head.

Unless anyone has some further advice, this may be my only recourse should this sort of situation occur. They were bought together, and I really can't ask the shop to take one back, like some tee-shirt that doesn't fit, just because they don't get along - I didn't pay for them, my dad did.

Again, thank you for making me aware of this as a potential problem. I suppose I'll have to have a word with the people at Reptile Cymru about this, see what they can suggest; until then, I'm going to do some in-depth research into a solution that makes best use of the resources I already have. This would be a nightmare scenario, and I can't believe I didn't think of this...

Also, to answer your other question: Yes, I am sure that both are female; Ben (the guy on the counter) checked the geckos in-front of me while we were in the shop when I told them I was specifically looking for females. I coudn't see any pre-anal pores on either gecko.
Not to worry, it is easy to get excited, especially when it's your first! If they do fight, you would have put one in the exo-terra, and prepare to put one up for sale. Unfortunately the exo wouldn't really be suitabe for an adult long-term, and if you don't have the space for a 2nd viv the kindest thing to do is rehome one. It is nothing like taking back a t-shirt that doesn't fit, they are living creatures and as such can't be expected to live in sub-standard or dangerous conditions because you might be too embarrassed to take them back. Bear in mind, this is only if they fight!
Old 12-12-2011, 01:16 AM
Regular

Quote:
It is nothing like taking back a t-shirt that doesn't fit, they are living creatures and as such can't be expected to live in sub-standard or dangerous conditions because you might be too embarrassed to take them back.
I didn't mean at all to cause offence with that tee-shirt remark, rather I meant it in exactly the same sense you've said - a gecko is not just a thing like the proverbial tee-shirt, it's very much a living creature, and I'd hate to offer either one of them a home only to have to turn it away. I dread the thought of having to choose which of them to keep. I'm sorry if my remark offended you, or anyone else reading the thread.

Similarly, it was never my intention that keeping one of the geckos in a faunarium would be a permanant solution to the problem, should it arise. A friend of mine told me once that, when he introduced a new Leo to a viv, its current resident had been aggressive at first to the newcomer, so he kept the new gecko in a faunarium in the viv for a day or two, and eventually tensions between the two geckos abated after they got used to each-other, and now they get along well.

I feel now that I should mention - and this is by no means an excuse - that I have Asperger's Syndrome, a communication disorder on the Autistic Spectrum, and I sometimes say things, meaning one thing and, as has happened here, my meaning comes accross as something else and is completely misinterpreted. It happens all the time; I'm nearly 24 years old and by now I'm used to having to clarify what I meant, and otherwise cleaning up the mess of people taking something I've said the wrong way. If at any point something I say doesn't make sense, or seems offensive, please don't hesitate to ask me to clarify what I meant. I swear I won't be offended.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:11 AM
Regular
Wink

Hey man great to see your getting into it and nowhere better to start than with some leo's they are extremely easy to care for and as is the way with most reptiles the biggest expense is the initial setup cost, I build most of my vivariums so it is much cheaper obviously.

I would suggest getting a wooden viv and avoiding these "starter kits" as they often don't actually have what you need nor at the right price. Shop around and look at some care sheets try this one Leopard gecko care sheet

It always depends on the age of the bugs and you could always breed the crickets etc yourself. I personally feed mine mealworms 9/10 and occasionally put some crickets in, i find that mealworms in a dish are much easier for the geckos to find and get the nourishment they need. as always supplementation and gut loading is the big one.

to your question i would say prices your looking at
Setup: £50-££££££ maybe even free
Feeding: £2 (depends on the age but i buy a tub of worms every week for my two geckos and they plump up nicely)
Maintainance: £4 every month or so for a bottle of disinfectant
Watching your gecko lick its lips and smile: PRICELESS

Best of luck to you dude
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Normal/Citrus)
0.0.2 Green Anoles
0.0.3 Green Tree Frogs
0.0.1 White Tree Frog
1.0.0 Emperor Scorpion
0.0.2 Musk Turtles
0.0.1 Map Turtle
and lots of fishys
Old 12-12-2011, 06:48 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
I didn't mean at all to cause offence with that tee-shirt remark, rather I meant it in exactly the same sense you've said - a gecko is not just a thing like the proverbial tee-shirt, it's very much a living creature, and I'd hate to offer either one of them a home only to have to turn it away. I dread the thought of having to choose which of them to keep. I'm sorry if my remark offended you, or anyone else reading the thread.

Similarly, it was never my intention that keeping one of the geckos in a faunarium would be a permanant solution to the problem, should it arise. A friend of mine told me once that, when he introduced a new Leo to a viv, its current resident had been aggressive at first to the newcomer, so he kept the new gecko in a faunarium in the viv for a day or two, and eventually tensions between the two geckos abated after they got used to each-other, and now they get along well.

I feel now that I should mention - and this is by no means an excuse - that I have Asperger's Syndrome, a communication disorder on the Autistic Spectrum, and I sometimes say things, meaning one thing and, as has happened here, my meaning comes accross as something else and is completely misinterpreted. It happens all the time; I'm nearly 24 years old and by now I'm used to having to clarify what I meant, and otherwise cleaning up the mess of people taking something I've said the wrong way. If at any point something I say doesn't make sense, or seems offensive, please don't hesitate to ask me to clarify what I meant. I swear I won't be offended.

I know - I read it on your profile. So does my 7 year old daughter, so as said before, please don't explain yourself to me, I already understand I have tried - probably poorly - to offer advice in a way I think you'll appreciate - no nonsense, if that makes sense. Your viv could possibly be divided into two anyway, with clever use of a divider and shelving etc (to give more room to explore), neither of them have to suffer.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:49 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbrown View Post
Hey man great to see your getting into it and nowhere better to start than with some leo's they are extremely easy to care for and as is the way with most reptiles the biggest expense is the initial setup cost, I build most of my vivariums so it is much cheaper obviously.

I would suggest getting a wooden viv and avoiding these "starter kits" as they often don't actually have what you need nor at the right price. Shop around and look at some care sheets try this one Leopard gecko care sheet

It always depends on the age of the bugs and you could always breed the crickets etc yourself. I personally feed mine mealworms 9/10 and occasionally put some crickets in, i find that mealworms in a dish are much easier for the geckos to find and get the nourishment they need. as always supplementation and gut loading is the big one.

to your question i would say prices your looking at
Setup: £50-££££££ maybe even free
Feeding: £2 (depends on the age but i buy a tub of worms every week for my two geckos and they plump up nicely)
Maintainance: £4 every month or so for a bottle of disinfectant
Watching your gecko lick its lips and smile: PRICELESS

Best of luck to you dude
You forgot calcium and vitamins!
Old 12-12-2011, 08:02 PM
Regular

Quote:
I know - I read it on your profile. So does my 7 year old daughter, so as said before, please don't explain yourself to me, I already understand I have tried - probably poorly - to offer advice in a way I think you'll appreciate - no nonsense, if that makes sense. Your viv could possibly be divided into two anyway, with clever use of a divider and shelving etc (to give more room to explore), neither of them have to suffer.
Divider...how would one go about that? As a possible contingency, I mean. Also, there would be the complication of the viv's heat gradient... Hmm...

Would it be worth, does everyone think, asking Reptile Cymru if they could put my two Leos in a shared viv for the few days they'll be there still, and and observe them for aggression? At least then, we could potentially work something out before the Leos are considered completely sold to us, should they notice any aggression. Would this be worth a go?

Tags
leopard gecko