A question for all you Leo keepers... - Page 5 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 12-12-2011, 08:22 PM
Premier Member
Reviews: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by glazios View Post
Divider...how would one go about that? As a possible contingency, I mean. Also, there would be the complication of the viv's heat gradient... Hmm...

Would it be worth, does everyone think, asking Reptile Cymru if they could put my two Leos in a shared viv for the few days they'll be there still, and and observe them for aggression? At least then, we could potentially work something out before the Leos are considered completely sold to us, should they notice any aggression. Would this be worth a go?
Possibly, but as most (more experienced than me) keepers will tell you, the fighting may not be immediately evident anyway. It could be weeks or months before you notice anything. Usually one gets bigger than the other gradually; that one is eating all the food. You won't always see them eating either if you leave a dish of mealworms in there. I have heard of people using a divider, if I were to do it, i'd put the heatmat in the centre, leaving the edges of the viv to be the cold sides. And of course, if you add shelves and don't have a light, they can climb away from the heat too.
Setting up an arboreal vivarium with pictures
PM me and i'll help if I can
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-12-2011, 01:34 AM
Regular
Send a message via MSN to glazios

I'm considering what a Day/Night Thermostat might do to remove the fiddle of adjusting the viv's thermostat twice a day. Does anyone use one of these with their Leos, and is it worth getting one? Also, what other kinds of 'intelligent' thermostats are there, if any?

I should emphasis that this is just a consideration - I'm only thinking about it.
Old 13-12-2011, 06:01 AM
Premier Citizen

If they do show sign of aggression you can put the 6 month old one in the faunarium for a while depending on the size as i have a 7 month old leopard gecko in a large flat faunarium and he seem to enjoy it as i can fit 2 hide's in and a moist box and a food dish and water dish with a lot of room to spare but i am in the middle of finishing him a 2 foot vivarium up but just need to get glass and runner's and finish varnishing it then it should be finish hopefully before christmas.

But how big is your faunarium?

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-12-2011, 08:02 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty667 View Post
If they do show sign of aggression you can put the 6 month old one in the faunarium for a while depending on the size as i have a 7 month old leopard gecko in a large flat faunarium and he seem to enjoy it as i can fit 2 hide's in and a moist box and a food dish and water dish with a lot of room to spare but i am in the middle of finishing him a 2 foot vivarium up but just need to get glass and runner's and finish varnishing it then it should be finish hopefully before christmas.

But how big is your faunarium?

Scott
I don't have one yet, it's just a back-up plan. Hopefully, fingers crossed, I won't need one. They come home from the shop this saturday, and I guess I'll take it from there.
Old 13-12-2011, 08:10 AM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
I don't have one yet, it's just a back-up plan. Hopefully, fingers crossed, I won't need one. They come home from the shop this saturday, and I guess I'll take it from there.
Well the large flat faunarium is only £10.99 from one of my local shop's and the measurment's are 18 inch's long 6inch's high and 9 inch's depth not too sure on depth though might be a 12inch's depth.

But anyway good luck on your leopard gecko's and keep us posted on how their doing and put some picture's up when you get them.

Scott
Old 13-12-2011, 08:18 AM
Regular

Quote:
Well the large flat faunarium is only £10.99 from one of my local shop's and the measurment's are 18 inch's long 6inch's high and 9 inch's depth not too sure on depth though might be a 12inch's depth.

But anyway good luck on your leopard gecko's and keep us posted on how their doing and put some picture's up when you get them.

Scott
I'm not sure non-subscribed users are able to use the attachment system on this forum, but I'll certainly see if I can't host the images on my SkyDrive and link to them from here.

And yes, I will certainly keep everyone posted on how they're doing.
Old 13-12-2011, 08:20 AM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
I'm not sure non-subscribed users are able to use the attachment system on this forum, but I'll certainly see if I can't host the images on my SkyDrive and link to them from here.

And yes, I will certainly keep everyone posted on how they're doing.
If you go on photobucket.com you can put picture's their and copy and paste them here
Old 13-12-2011, 09:29 AM
Regular

Quote:
If you go on photobucket.com you can put picture's their and copy and paste them here
Okay, Skydrive has recently been updated, which usually means that you have to learn to use the damn thing all over again, but I *think* I've got it figured out...

VIV PICS:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx...564&parid=root

Let's see if this works. The link should lead to a folder in my SkyDrive, where there are currently two pics of my viv and its current contents.

Granted, there's not much in the viv right now, and I hope to replace the lino for something a bit more appealing before my geckos move in this weekend, but it's what I got.

If anyone wants a list of what my setup is currently comprised of, I'll do my best.

Also, I'm beginning to think about names for my geckos. I'm thinking of calling the Blazing Blizzard 'Snowball' (too cliché?), but I got nothin' for the Normal/High Yellow; 'Spot' seems appropriate, but perhaps a bit too-much so... Suggestions, please, if you'd be so kind?

Last edited by glazios; 13-12-2011 at 09:35 AM.. Reason: Editing link
Old 13-12-2011, 09:42 AM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Okay, Skydrive has recently been updated, which usually means that you have to learn to use the damn thing all over again, but I *think* I've got it figured out...

VIV PICS:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx...564&parid=root

Let's see if this works. The link should lead to a folder in my SkyDrive, where there are currently two pics of my viv and its current contents.

Granted, there's not much in the viv right now, and I hope to replace the lino for something a bit more appealing before my geckos move in this weekend, but it's what I got.

If anyone wants a list of what my setup is currently comprised of, I'll do my best.

Also, I'm beginning to think about names for my geckos. I'm thinking of calling the Blazing Blizzard 'Snowball' (too cliché?), but I got nothin' for the Normal/High Yellow; 'Spot' seems appropriate, but perhaps a bit too-much so... Suggestions, please, if you'd be so kind?
Look's all good but have you got a heatmatt, you can put some fake plant's in but not needed but make's it look natural.
Old 13-12-2011, 10:37 AM
Regular

Quote:
Look's all good but have you got a heatmatt, you can put some fake plant's in but not needed but make's it look natural.
If you check the folder again, I just posted two more images of the heat mat, and a close-up of the lable with all the information.

I plan to get some viv decorations this weekend when I pick my geckos up, but I'm not sure exactly what to get in the way of plastic plants... I know that I'll be getting some wood of some sort, probably one of those bamboo roots but not cork bark, to go across the middle of the viv angling from the back-left to the front-right, so it's across the length of the heat gradient. I know I also need a lock and another themometer for the cool end of the viv, and I hope to get those later today, if I can find some cash. Also, just out of curiosity, do I need a hygrometer?

Tags
leopard gecko