A question for all you Leo keepers... - Page 6 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 13-12-2011, 10:55 AM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by glazios View Post
If you check the folder again, I just posted two more images of the heat mat, and a close-up of the lable with all the information.

I plan to get some viv decorations this weekend when I pick my geckos up, but I'm not sure exactly what to get in the way of plastic plants... I know that I'll be getting some wood of some sort, probably one of those bamboo roots but not cork bark, to go across the middle of the viv angling from the back-left to the front-right, so it's across the length of the heat gradient. I know I also need a lock and another themometer for the cool end of the viv, and I hope to get those later today, if I can find some cash. Also, just out of curiosity, do I need a hygrometer?
That all sound's good and i honestly wouldn't worry about a hygrormeter as leopard gecko's are desert species but just make sure they alway's have water though other than that it's all good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-12-2011, 11:14 AM
Regular
Send a message via MSN to glazios

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty667 View Post
That all sound's good and i honestly wouldn't worry about a hygrormeter as leopard gecko's are desert species but just make sure they alway's have water though other than that it's all good.
Ah, that's good. Fiver saved there, then. One less thing to worry about.
scotty667 likes this.
Old 13-12-2011, 11:23 AM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Ah, that's good. Fiver saved there, then. One less thing to worry about.
Yep and to be honest i wouldn't of bought the bulb because they will sleep during the day when it's on or you could get a red one or blue one for viewing at night but it doesn't matter it's up to you on what you choose to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-12-2011, 11:36 AM
Regular

Quote:
Yep and to be honest i wouldn't of bought the bulb because they will sleep during the day when it's on or you could get a red one or blue one for viewing at night but it doesn't matter it's up to you on what you choose to do.
Actually, over the few days I've had the viv, I find the bulb contributes a fair bit to the ambient heat in there, and my room is an attic room where it can sometimes be a bit chilly now the weather's turning, a good two or three degrees below room temperature if the central heating isn't on, and I'm wary that without the bulb, the temp in the viv might be affected by the temp of the room, and I don't want 'em getting cold.

I did mean to get another, red bulb when we pick them up on the weekend, but if it doesn't produce the same ambient heat as my current reflector bulb, I'm not sure I'll bother.
Old 13-12-2011, 06:36 PM
Premier Member
Reviews: 8

I would keep the lino, that's what mine are on, easy to clean and no risk of that nasty impaction. Also, I personally don't like plants, plastic or otherwise, for Leos, I think pebbles and rocks are closer to their natural habitat, I find rocks at my local nature park and boil them for half an hour, leave to dry/cool, and pop them in! Free!
Setting up an arboreal vivarium with pictures
PM me and i'll help if I can
Old 13-12-2011, 09:15 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstypical View Post
I would keep the lino, that's what mine are on, easy to clean and no risk of that nasty impaction. Also, I personally don't like plants, plastic or otherwise, for Leos, I think pebbles and rocks are closer to their natural habitat, I find rocks at my local nature park and boil them for half an hour, leave to dry/cool, and pop them in! Free!
Yeah my brother used to use rock's with his but he had 1-2 plastic plant's behind their hide's i can't put anything in mine at the moment as mine's in a faunarium and his vivarium should be done by the weekend so will be getting spoilt with his new home.
Old 13-12-2011, 11:53 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstypical View Post
Quote:
Yeah my brother used to use rock's with his but he had 1-2 plastic plant's behind their hide's i can't put anything in mine at the moment as mine's in a faunarium and his vivarium should be done by the weekend so will be getting spoilt with his new home.
I guess rocks and stones do seem a more natural option, but I think, as Scotty suggested, that one or two small plants in the corners would maybe break up the monotony a bit -- the desert isn't completely devoid of plant life, after all.

Also, picked up some tupperwear for a moist box today; it's not the kind with an air-tight seal, and it's frosted clear plastic. Will this have any real effect on the purpose it serves, or is it pretty much good to go?

I hope to pick up some sphagnum moss, and one or two other little but important things tomorrow, like a lock and that second thermometer, and maybe a dish for calcium powder. Is there anything else I absolutely need to put in there before my geckos come home, or is it okay to leave off on most of the decor until Saturday when we pick them up?
scotty667 likes this.
Old 17-12-2011, 03:32 PM
Regular
Default New friends & old loves

Hey guys!

Well, today's the day - my new room-mates have moved in!

Only took 10 years, lol...

As I'm sure I've stated before, I'm now the proud owner of a 6-month-old Normal-morph, and a 1.5-year-old Blazing Blizzard. Both are absoultely *stunning*. They don't have names yet, I've been referring to them with placeholder names until I can think of something a bit more appropriate; the Normal I've been calling 'Stoic' because she sat pretty in her tub and never moved a muscle all the way home (a good 40min journey), and the Blazing I've nicknamed 'Digger', because she did nothing but stratch at the paper towel in her tub until we put her in the viv.

Crap names, I know...though, 'Stoic' might just stick - it's a decent reference to a favourite film of mine; I'll leave it to you clever lot to figure out which one, but I'll do the decent thing and give you a clue:

"Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."

Oh well, I've rambled enough, I think. Have some pics, neh? Enjoy 'em - I know I'm enjoying watching them having a 'splore. =D

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx...564&parid=root
Old 17-12-2011, 04:04 PM
Premier Member
Reviews: 8

Quote:
Hey guys!

Well, today's the day - my new room-mates have moved in!

Only took 10 years, lol...

As I'm sure I've stated before, I'm now the proud owner of a 6-month-old Normal-morph, and a 1.5-year-old Blazing Blizzard. Both are absoultely *stunning*. They don't have names yet, I've been referring to them with placeholder names until I can think of something a bit more appropriate; the Normal I've been calling 'Stoic' because she sat pretty in her tub and never moved a muscle all the way home (a good 40min journey), and the Blazing I've nicknamed 'Digger', because she did nothing but stratch at the paper towel in her tub until we put her in the viv.

Crap names, I know...though, 'Stoic' might just stick - it's a decent reference to a favourite film of mine; I'll leave it to you clever lot to figure out which one, but I'll do the decent thing and give you a clue:

"Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."

Oh well, I've rambled enough, I think. Have some pics, neh? Enjoy 'em - I know I'm enjoying watching them having a 'splore. =D

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx...564&parid=root
Stoic - I like, it shame she's a Gecko, not a dragon

Very pleased for you, hope all goes well, and you know where I am
Setting up an arboreal vivarium with pictures
PM me and i'll help if I can
Old 17-12-2011, 06:53 PM
Premier Citizen

Very nice gecko's you have their they don't seem to different in size though but they are very nice, and what film you on about i haven't a clue.LOL.

Tags
leopard gecko