A question for all you Leo keepers... - Page 7 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 17-12-2011, 09:56 PM
Regular
Send a message via MSN to glazios

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty667 View Post
Very nice gecko's you have their they don't seem to different in size though but they are very nice, and what film you on about i haven't a clue.LOL.
The film is 'How to Train Your Dragon', lol, and thanks.

I got the normal to eat some mealworms earlier, mostly by putting them in front of her. Haven't seen the Blizzard eating yet, but she'll come around in time. Also, a friend suggested that 'Blitz' might be a better name for the Blizzard than 'Digger', and I can only agree - it is a better name, at least. =D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-12-2011, 10:02 PM
Premier Member
Reviews: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by glazios View Post
The film is 'How to Train Your Dragon', lol, and thanks.

I got the normal to eat some mealworms earlier, mostly by putting them in front of her. Haven't seen the Blizzard eating yet, but she'll come around in time. Also, a friend suggested that 'Blitz' might be a better name for the Blizzard than 'Digger', and I can only agree - it is a better name, at least. =D
I knew that
Setting up an arboreal vivarium with pictures
PM me and i'll help if I can
Old 18-12-2011, 03:42 AM
Regular

Okay, quick question that's open to everyone, 'cause I'm sure everyone has different ways of doing this:

What's the best, or easiest, way of catching crickets and locusts in their tubs? 'Cause I tried for a while earlier, and it's like tryin'a fill a frikkin' sieve with water.

So, any tips? Maybe? Please? =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-12-2011, 05:57 AM
Premier Citizen

WOW i remember that film now can't believe i never knew LOL and the best way of catching cricket's is tweezer's or just shake the box and open a corner and drop some in or some people put them in the fridge for 10 minute's this slow's them down.
Old 18-12-2011, 11:09 PM
Regular
Okay, just a quick update.

Blitz and Stoic seem to be settling in okay; I have some calcium-dusted crickets running around in the viv, and both have eaten in the last 24hrs. Also, though I'm not sure which, one of them has been to the bathroom in the last hour or so.

I am a bit concerned, though, as the stool was mostly liquid; all the care guides I have specifically say Leo stools are usually solid. It could be due to stress, what with the move and the new viv, but I'll be keeping my eyes peeled anyway. Is this normal for the first few days?
Old 18-12-2011, 11:41 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Okay, just a quick update.

Blitz and Stoic seem to be settling in okay; I have some calcium-dusted crickets running around in the viv, and both have eaten in the last 24hrs. Also, though I'm not sure which, one of them has been to the bathroom in the last hour or so.

I am a bit concerned, though, as the stool was mostly liquid; all the care guides I have specifically say Leo stools are usually solid. It could be due to stress, what with the move and the new viv, but I'll be keeping my eyes peeled anyway. Is this normal for the first few days?
This is a prime example of why it's best to house animals separately if at all possible (and i'm not being rude, as you know from our PM's )

If one of them is ill, it's going to be difficult to tell which one, without separating them. I've never had a runny poo, and I have Leos of different ages and morphs, and neither has ever been anything but solid, even when recently moved. Keep an eye out for more poops.
Old 19-12-2011, 09:46 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstypical View Post
This is a prime example of why it's best to house animals separately if at all possible (and i'm not being rude, as you know from our PM's )
If one of them is ill, it's going to be difficult to tell which one, without separating them. I've never had a runny poo, and I have Leos of different ages and morphs, and neither has ever been anything but solid, even when recently moved. Keep an eye out for more poops.
On waking this morning I found another stool, this one a bit more solid, but it was mostly undigested cricket mass, which doesn't encourage me much. Watched them both wandering for a bit, until I noticed Stoic (the normal) leaving a muddy little mess near the cool hide, so I've quarantined her in the faunarium to keep a closer eye on her. She's not happy about it, and is still a bit restless, looking around and trying to climb the walls.

I hope I've done the right thing in quarantining her, as I don't want to make things worse by stressing her unduly, but I think it's better to be safe that sorry. My biggest fear, though, is that diarrhoea is catching, and that they might both have it already I just haven't seen it from Blitz yet because she hasn't eaten very much. Also, I'm not sure which of them that second stool is from, which is one of the reasons I quarantined Stoic. That said though, Blitz is the more lethargic of the two of them...
scotty667 likes this.
Old 19-12-2011, 05:59 PM
Regular

Hey guys. Been keeping an eye on the leos today and have noticed that neither of them has moved out from the warm hide all day. As far as I can tell, they both spent most of the night in there as well, despite it being 90F on the warm side of the viv -- surely they need to cool down at some point?

I'm probably worrying about pointless and insignificant things now - colour me paranoid, much? - but nevertheless: they've been home for less than three days, and already one of them seems to be unwell, either through stress or a pre-existing illness I wasn't informed of.

What does all this say about my ability to keep reptiles, eh?

*sigh*
Old 19-12-2011, 06:07 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Hey guys. Been keeping an eye on the leos today and have noticed that neither of them has moved out from the warm hide all day. As far as I can tell, they both spent most of the night in there as well, despite it being 90F on the warm side of the viv -- surely they need to cool down at some point?

I'm probably worrying about pointless and insignificant things now - colour me paranoid, much? - but nevertheless: they've been home for less than three days, and already one of them seems to be unwell, either through stress or a pre-existing illness I wasn't informed of.

*sigh*
It says nothing detrimental about your abilities and don't for one second think it does! You researched, and you asked advice AND set up your viv, before bringing them home, which is very admirable, more people should be like you! Did you get any history on them from the pet shop? To be honest, they've been together anyway so all quarantine will serve to do now is show you which one is passing runny faeces, and allow you to collect a sample and identify which gecko it came from. There's a chance any illness could already have been passed on. There's a company that will do a fecal via post, I can't remember the name though
Old 19-12-2011, 06:34 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:

*sigh*
Don't put your self down at all i admire what you have done to be honest when i first got 2 corn snake's last year or the year before i hardly did any research and just shoved them in a exo terra far to big and just shoved a heatmatt underneath with no stat at all but i know what i did was wrong and got it all sorted with in 6month's but i still hardly did any research at first but a year later i got myself another corn and got everything right so far and she is still with me a year and 1 month 2 day's later anyway back to the subject at least you have seperated them unlike most people who would just leave them in the same tank together no point putting yourself down and just keep on doing.

Tags
leopard gecko