A question for all you Leo keepers... - Page 8 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 19-12-2011, 07:05 PM
Regular
Send a message via MSN to glazios

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty667 View Post
Don't put your self down at all i admire what you have done to be honest when i first got 2 corn snake's last year or the year before i hardly did any research and just shoved them in a exo terra far to big and just shoved a heatmatt underneath with no stat at all but i know what i did was wrong and got it all sorted with in 6month's but i still hardly did any research at first but a year later i got myself another corn and got everything right so far and she is still with me a year and 1 month 2 day's later anyway back to the subject at least you have seperated them unlike most people who would just leave them in the same tank together no point putting yourself down and just keep on doing.
They are still in the same tank - I put the faunarium in the viv and separated them that way. Had to, as I've only got the one viv and the one heatmat. Bit worried about Stoic, she's still trying to climb the walls, and we all know that herps don't understand glass walls, much less plastic ones...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-12-2011, 07:09 PM
Premier Member
Reviews: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by glazios View Post
They are still in the same tank - I put the faunarium in the viv and separated them that way. Had to, as I've only got the one viv and the one heatmat. Bit worried about Stoic, she's still trying to climb the walls, and we all know that herps don't understand glass walls, much less plastic ones...
Cover three sides with paper

I would advise a fecal test on both of them to be honest
Setting up an arboreal vivarium with pictures
PM me and i'll help if I can
Old 19-12-2011, 07:18 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstypical View Post
Cover three sides with paper

I would advise a fecal test on both of them to be honest
Done, but she's still climbing and generally restless. Seems a bit freaked-out, tbh. Worried about her getting overly-stressed.

Fecal test sounds expensive, and as much as I know it's necessary, I'm not sure I've got the money to pay for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-12-2011, 08:09 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Done, but she's still climbing and generally restless. Seems a bit freaked-out, tbh. Worried about her getting overly-stressed.

Fecal test sounds expensive, and as much as I know it's necessary, I'm not sure I've got the money to pay for it.
It's £29 each, If you don't have the money I suggest you return it to the shop for a refund/replacement and tell them why, they need to get it to a vet. Better than staying where it is and possibly getting worse, and you shouldn't have to fork out for expensive vets bills within a week of buying a pet anyway!
Old 19-12-2011, 09:46 PM
Regular

Quote:
It's £29 each, If you don't have the money I suggest you return it to the shop for a refund/replacement and tell them why, they need to get it to a vet. Better than staying where it is and possibly getting worse, and you shouldn't have to fork out for expensive vets bills within a week of buying a pet anyway!
I know, right?

For an update, though, I think I can clear Stoic for diarrhoea, at least for the moment, as she ate some mealworms I left in the faunarium specifically, and when she passed the waste, it was solid, so I let her out and put Blitz in instead, so I can be absolutely sure that it wasn't just a one-off and all the fuss has been for nothing.

I hesitate to say this, for the risk of sounding accusatory, but I'm beginnging to wonder if Blitz wasn't ill when I bought her; to assume that Leos *suddenly* get diarrhoea overnight due to stress would be foolish of anyone. I didn't get any kind of history or paperwork for either animal, aside from a livestock reciept, when I bought them.

Blitz is lethargic, and while she does wander around once I turn the light off, she doesn't seem particularly-interested in food or even water, which worries me; I've seen her several times sizing up a mealworm or a cricket, getting right up to it and giving it a lick, before turning around and just walking away. Also, she seems to stay at the warm end of the viv constantly, as-opposed to Stoic, who seems to think I've overhauled the viv layout everytime she pokes her head out and goes for a wander.

Neither of them has bothered much with the moist box, either, but I'm not sure what to make of that.

There's a small vet practice very near my house, and I'll probably go down there tomorrow to enquire as to whether or not they have experience in dealing with reptiles; I'm not entirely convinced they'll be of much help, but with my limited budget, beggers can't be choosers, much as I hate to say it.

It's either that, or I can make an appointment with Valley Vets in Cardiff - which is an hour's bus journey away at least, and I might not get an appointment until after Christmas. And even if I do, I'm not keen on the idea of taking a sick gecko all that way by bus a few days before Christmas when it's freezing-frikkin'-cold outside.
Old 20-12-2011, 10:58 AM
Regular

Quote:
You forgot calcium and vitamins!
So i did hahaha okay Nutrobal and Exo calcium with D3 also plain old cac03 about £5 lol
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Normal/Citrus)
0.0.2 Green Anoles
0.0.3 Green Tree Frogs
0.0.1 White Tree Frog
1.0.0 Emperor Scorpion
0.0.2 Musk Turtles
0.0.1 Map Turtle
and lots of fishys
Old 20-12-2011, 01:41 PM
Regular
Default Stoic Sheds! =D

I just noticed that she's shedding right now! I saw her coming out of the moist box, so I went to grab my care guides, to see if there was anything I needed to do to help, and when I lifted up the warm hide, she was just tearing it off! = 3

I knew she was getting ready to shed, but I thought it was maybe a process that took a while - but instead, I find it's over in a few minutes. :P

I took a few snaps - nothing you all haven't seen before, I'm sure, but it's the first time I've seen it myself, and I can't help but think of it as something of a milestone, so thought I should share it. Enjoy!

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx...C36742221!1564
Old 20-12-2011, 07:58 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
I know, right?

For an update, though, I think I can clear Stoic for diarrhoea, at least for the moment, as she ate some mealworms I left in the faunarium specifically, and when she passed the waste, it was solid, so I let her out and put Blitz in instead, so I can be absolutely sure that it wasn't just a one-off and all the fuss has been for nothing.

I hesitate to say this, for the risk of sounding accusatory, but I'm beginnging to wonder if Blitz wasn't ill when I bought her; to assume that Leos *suddenly* get diarrhoea overnight due to stress would be foolish of anyone. I didn't get any kind of history or paperwork for either animal, aside from a livestock reciept, when I bought them.

Blitz is lethargic, and while she does wander around once I turn the light off, she doesn't seem particularly-interested in food or even water, which worries me; I've seen her several times sizing up a mealworm or a cricket, getting right up to it and giving it a lick, before turning around and just walking away. Also, she seems to stay at the warm end of the viv constantly, as-opposed to Stoic, who seems to think I've overhauled the viv layout everytime she pokes her head out and goes for a wander.

Neither of them has bothered much with the moist box, either, but I'm not sure what to make of that.

There's a small vet practice very near my house, and I'll probably go down there tomorrow to enquire as to whether or not they have experience in dealing with reptiles; I'm not entirely convinced they'll be of much help, but with my limited budget, beggers can't be choosers, much as I hate to say it.

It's either that, or I can make an appointment with Valley Vets in Cardiff - which is an hour's bus journey away at least, and I might not get an appointment until after Christmas. And even if I do, I'm not keen on the idea of taking a sick gecko all that way by bus a few days before Christmas when it's freezing-frikkin'-cold outside.
I want to say give Blitz a week or so to settle in before you worry about her not eating, but what with the runny poo and the lethargy, I don't know if that is the best advice. I think if it were me, I would have stormed back to the shop by know and been asking some questions. If you can't afford to pay a vet to do a check 'just in case', the best thing all round would be to return her. It's what I would do, I love my reps but I also don't have money to throw down the drain, I would not expect to buy a rep and immediately have to fork out for fecals, especially if I had got it from a shop.

Don't worry about them not bothering with the most hide, i've never seen mine go in there, ever. It's just there if they need it.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:05 PM
Regular

Hey, guys! Hope you all had an awesome Christmas and a fun New Year.

Just a quick update on Blitz and Stoic (yes, the names have stuck ^_^; ), and a question.

Blitz has settled in okay, it seems the diarrhoea was just new-home nervousness, so false alarm there. I've seen them both hanging out in the moist box recently, both are feeding well and are getting along like a house on fire. Stoic often scratches at the glass to come out, now she's realised that there is something on the other side of it, but Blitz is still a little bit shy; I'm hoping I can get her to be a bit more sociable soon.

Now for that question. I've recently noticed a few of the mealworms I have are pupating, and one or two have metamorphosed fully into adult beetles. My question is, is it safe to feed the beetles to my leos, and are the beetles even edible to them? I don't want to risk putting them in the viv until I know for certain that doing so won't hurt my geckos in any way.

If they're safe, it'd be good to know that mealies don't go to waste as a food source when they become adults.

Thanks either way, guys!
Old 02-01-2012, 10:09 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Hey, guys! Hope you all had an awesome Christmas and a fun New Year.

Just a quick update on Blitz and Stoic (yes, the names have stuck ^_^; ), and a question.

Blitz has settled in okay, it seems the diarrhoea was just new-home nervousness, so false alarm there. I've seen them both hanging out in the moist box recently, both are feeding well and are getting along like a house on fire. Stoic often scratches at the glass to come out, now she's realised that there is something on the other side of it, but Blitz is still a little bit shy; I'm hoping I can get her to be a bit more sociable soon.

Now for that question. I've recently noticed a few of the mealworms I have are pupating, and one or two have metamorphosed fully into adult beetles. My question is, is it safe to feed the beetles to my leos, and are the beetles even edible to them? I don't want to risk putting them in the viv until I know for certain that doing so won't hurt my geckos in any way.

If they're safe, it'd be good to know that mealies don't go to waste as a food source when they become adults.

Thanks either way, guys!
Simple answer, there's no harm in trying! As long as they look appropriately sized in proportion to your Leos, of course

Tags
leopard gecko