A question for all you Leo keepers... - Page 9 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 03-01-2012, 05:02 AM
Regular
Send a message via MSN to glazios

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstypical View Post
Simple answer, there's no harm in trying! As long as they look appropriately sized in proportion to your Leos, of course
My greatest concern is that they might be toxic or poisonus to the Leos as adult beetles, and also that they might bite. I'm being overly-cautious and probably a bit silly, I'm sure, but it doesn't hurt to be too careful.

Anyone have any experience with this life-stage of the mealworm? How long do the beetles live as adults? Has anyone tried this before?

Forewarned, as they say, is forearmed, and knowing is half the battle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2012, 11:54 AM
Postaholic Member

they live quite a while as adult, you can even start a little colony of them in a stacker box to feed your leos, have a look in the feeder section......

if your mealies are pupating into aliens faster than you can feed them to your leos, you can keep them in the fridge to slow them down.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:50 AM
Regular

Got another question, guys. This one, though, may seem a little bit unusual, as it's more of a question of environment - my environment, as opposed to my geckos'.

I've noticed over the last few nights that Stoic is scratching at the glass of the viv. She wants to come out, I know this, but I'm also worried that she's getting stressed about the glass being in her way and her not being able to understand it.

I turn the viv light off when I turn in for the night, but my lights often remain on until I bed down, which is usually during the early hours, and after about 10mins or so of switching off the viv light, Stoic will start scratching at the glass. So, would it be worth changing the colour of my room's white lighting to blue or red bulbs?

I'm not much concerned about what colour my lights are - it's purely an anti-stress measure for the geckos, but I'm wondering if it'll work, 'cause if it doesn't then there's really not much point to it. Frosting the inside surface of the glass kinda of defeats the whole object of having a glass front in the first place. I've also considered a two-way-mirror effect, but this may just confuse my geckos and stress them even more. Does anyone have any ideas?

Also, does anyone know of a programable thermostat for my viv's bulb that I could look up? I struggle to maintain set sleeping patterns, and so I'm not always awake to switch their light on when I probably should. A programable thermostat would mean my geckos get a regular and set number of daylight hours in every 24, and thus a dependable idea of the day-night cycle.

EDIT: I've noticed there are very small insects in the tubs with my mealworms - very small, difficult to make out exactly what they are even with a magnifying glass, but there are hundreds of them, and they are everywhere in the tub. Please tell me these are not mites.

Last edited by glazios; 04-01-2012 at 03:58 AM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2012, 09:31 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by glazios View Post
Got another question, guys. This one, though, may seem a little bit unusual, as it's more of a question of environment - my environment, as opposed to my geckos'.

I've noticed over the last few nights that Stoic is scratching at the glass of the viv. She wants to come out, I know this, but I'm also worried that she's getting stressed about the glass being in her way and her not being able to understand it.

I turn the viv light off when I turn in for the night, but my lights often remain on until I bed down, which is usually during the early hours, and after about 10mins or so of switching off the viv light, Stoic will start scratching at the glass. So, would it be worth changing the colour of my room's white lighting to blue or red bulbs?

I'm not much concerned about what colour my lights are - it's purely an anti-stress measure for the geckos, but I'm wondering if it'll work, 'cause if it doesn't then there's really not much point to it. Frosting the inside surface of the glass kinda of defeats the whole object of having a glass front in the first place. I've also considered a two-way-mirror effect, but this may just confuse my geckos and stress them even more. Does anyone have any ideas?

Also, does anyone know of a programable thermostat for my viv's bulb that I could look up? I struggle to maintain set sleeping patterns, and so I'm not always awake to switch their light on when I probably should. A programable thermostat would mean my geckos get a regular and set number of daylight hours in every 24, and thus a dependable idea of the day-night cycle.

EDIT: I've noticed there are very small insects in the tubs with my mealworms - very small, difficult to make out exactly what they are even with a magnifying glass, but there are hundreds of them, and they are everywhere in the tub. Please tell me these are not mites.
I've just spent like 10 mins reading all 9 pages of this thread. Sounds like your the same as I was a couple of weeks back!

I'm going to be putting a divider down the middle of my viv with my two juvies in because they've started fighting. Fighting doesn't always start immediately so as you have 2 I'd keep an eye out for bite marks and scratches.

As for these bugs in your mealworm tub, I haven't a clue? When I got my micro mealies there was nothing else with them. All I know is theres the black furry sorta bug in with crickets? They eat Cricket poo so if you spot them and wonder what they are. Don't get all paranoid like I did!
Old 05-01-2012, 01:57 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardgecko27045 View Post
I've just spent like 10 mins reading all 9 pages of this thread. Sounds like your the same as I was a couple of weeks back!

I'm going to be putting a divider down the middle of my viv with my two juvies in because they've started fighting. Fighting doesn't always start immediately so as you have 2 I'd keep an eye out for bite marks and scratches.

As for these bugs in your mealworm tub, I haven't a clue? When I got my micro mealies there was nothing else with them. All I know is theres the black furry sorta bug in with crickets? They eat Cricket poo so if you spot them and wonder what they are. Don't get all paranoid like I did!
I'm not so concerned about my Leos fighting anymore, as they seem to be getting along very well; they are very willing to share the same hide, eat and drink at the same time, and I've even seen them chilling in the moist box together. One would think that any signs of animosity would be visible by now, and there doesn't seem to be any.

On that note, though, if could you please drop me a line once you've completed your divider, so I have some form of installation reference should I ever need to do the same in future, I'd be very greatful.

On the matter the unknown insects, I decided to take no chances of possible paracite infestation, and I promptly threw away the box in-question, including the remaining stock of mealworms therein, before going out and buying new ones, as well as fresh crickets and locusts. I did, however, keep the pupae and beetles that I already have, as I seperated the pupae once I noticed they were changing. Not sure what I'm gonna do with 'em yet, but I'll figure something out.

Also, just like to say I'm glad to run into another Leo newbie. ^_^
Old 05-01-2012, 02:27 AM
Super Citizen

I would say around 10-15 pound a week and that is basicly over paying, I like to keep that amount a week aside so atleast then if for any reason prices go up or I have to travle further to get whatever I need I can, I will never spend all that money tho, just a precaution.
Also be prepard to have to spend exspensive vet fees if needed, hopefully it never comes to that but it could possibly happen.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:59 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by glazios View Post
I'm not so concerned about my Leos fighting anymore, as they seem to be getting along very well; they are very willing to share the same hide, eat and drink at the same time, and I've even seen them chilling in the moist box together. One would think that any signs of animosity would be visible by now, and there doesn't seem to be any.

On that note, though, if could you please drop me a line once you've completed your divider, so I have some form of installation reference should I ever need to do the same in future, I'd be very greatful.

On the matter the unknown insects, I decided to take no chances of possible paracite infestation, and I promptly threw away the box in-question, including the remaining stock of mealworms therein, before going out and buying new ones, as well as fresh crickets and locusts. I did, however, keep the pupae and beetles that I already have, as I seperated the pupae once I noticed they were changing. Not sure what I'm gonna do with 'em yet, but I'll figure something out.

Also, just like to say I'm glad to run into another Leo newbie. ^_^
Yeah I'll drop you a pm with how me and my dad have gone around dividing it. Getting rid of them sounds like the best option, I never had problem with mine so I dunno what them lil' things were. But I'd of got rid of them just to stay on the safe side!
Old 05-01-2012, 07:35 PM
Premier Member
Reviews: 8

Yup livefood can and does introduce mites into your collection, I had it with my spids a while back with crickets. Best to throw them away; whilt they're not mites of the harmful kind they're certainly annoying.
Setting up an arboreal vivarium with pictures
PM me and i'll help if I can
Old 13-01-2012, 01:14 AM
Regular

Okay, guys, I have a question for you all here that is probably the most rediculous thing you've ever heard (really, I'm questioning my own sanity for having the nerve to ask), but, do geckos play? Like, with toys? If I put a little ball in there, would they roll it around and, I dunno, chase it?

I ask (and cannot for the life of me believe I'm doing so) because, really, my sister came to watch my Leos the other day, and asked me, "Why don't they have any toys?" Awkwardness ensued, as I looked at her like she'd suddenly grown another head, while she glared at me like I'm the most cruel s.o.b. under the sun for depriving my geckos of things to play with.

It's a strange question, I know, and most definately a strange situation, but after a few days of mulling it over, I'm genuinely curious about this, now. Do Leopard Geckos know how to play? And if given the opportunity, will they?

Let me know what you all think - of the idea, or my obvious mental instability, whichever you prefers. :p
Old 13-01-2012, 10:37 AM
Regular

I am also a new owner (Son Christmas present) While my brother did well researching like yourself he spent around the £150 mark on the set-up - I have since spent a further £100 to correct things and to make it both look pretty and to reasure things are right for little Barry. Bugs at Pets at Home are quite cheap 2 pots for £6, which I got through on a week to 10 day cycle. I am new I am nieve so I am still learning. Please listen to these guy's they are the best advice so far.

Tags
leopard gecko