A question for all you Leo keepers... - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 07-10-2011, 01:52 AM
Regular
Send a message via MSN to glazios
Post A question for all you Leo keepers...

Hey guys. Yeah, new guy here...

This will probably seem like a daft question, but humour me for a minute.

Having an interest in Geckos and after wanting to keep them for a number of years now, my living circumstances are finally allowing me to be able to do so; I'm of the sensible sort, and so I'm intending to start off small with a Leopard Gecko or two. But before I commit to holding the life of any herp in my hands, I want to be sure that I'm financially-capable of caring for the lovely little buggers.

So, here's my question, aimed at everyone who keeps Leos: How much, on average, does it cost to keep them per-month?

I know this is probably a question that's about as tricky to answer as it seems silly of me to ask it in the first place, but I'd just like a vague idea of how much I need to set aside each week/month for feed ect, so I can at least make some semblance of preparation. Also, after doing some research on costs for vivs and an Exo-Terra starter kit, I'm thinking I need a starting budget of about £150. What do you think of this figure; too low? Just right?

Reading 'The Leopard Gecko Manual' (Herpetocultual Library) and visiting the pet shop every other day can only take a guy so far, y'know?

All comments and opinions are kindly welcomed.

Last edited by glazios; 07-10-2011 at 01:55 AM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2011, 08:19 AM
Forum Citizen

In answer to your question I would estimate that I spend about £10 every second week. Taking into account bugs, substrate and other bits and bobs. But I am near the cheapest shop so I guess if you allow £15 - £20 every two weeks I would think that will cover it.

There are a lot of care sheets available on here, if you can't find one 'sleepydee Geckos' website wil have one and its good. They wil generally tell you wwhat you need and then it's just a case of shopping round. The cheap shop I mention is online and is called Surrey Pet Supplies' check them out as you may get stuff cheaper.

Good luck with it all and don't be afraid to ask questions on here even if it seems silly.
GazzaB85 and EricaCV like this.
0.1.0 Jack Russell Terrorist
Old 07-10-2011, 08:20 AM
Forum Citizen

Oh and welcome to the forum!
0.1.0 Jack Russell Terrorist

Last edited by weemanelite; 07-10-2011 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: posted same message twice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2011, 08:46 AM
Super Citizen
Send a message via MSN to beaniebopps

Quote:
Originally Posted by weemanelite View Post
In answer to your question I would estimate that I spend about £10 every second week. Taking into account bugs, substrate and other bits and bobs. But I am near the cheapest shop so I guess if you allow £15 - £20 every two weeks I would think that will cover it.

There are a lot of care sheets available on here, if you can't find one 'sleepydee Geckos' website wil have one and its good. They wil generally tell you wwhat you need and then it's just a case of shopping round. The cheap shop I mention is online and is called Surrey Pet Supplies' check them out as you may get stuff cheaper.

Good luck with it all and don't be afraid to ask questions on here even if it seems silly.
I would say thats a generous budget if I'm being totally honest. Most shops do live food tubs at around 3 for £6. I get 3 tubs every 2nd week, so thats £12 a month. Of course theres calcium and nutrobal, which will cost about £12 for a tub of each, but that should around a year so is included in the set-up.

I feed the livefood tesco value porridge which is practically free its so cheap, and dandelion leaves from the garden.

£150 for start up cost sounds about spot on, and £15 a month is a realistic budget for food. Maybe an extra couple pound for electricity. And then all you need to make sure if you have an emergency supply of £100 or so just incase they need vet treatment.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:03 AM
Forum Citizen

Hi, I buy all my Leo needs online, I find Swell reptiles great for all vivs, heat mats, stats and thermometers, and anything else you need, and I buy all my locust and meal worms online at the live food warehouse, I have 6 leos, 4 adult who eat about 4 large locust each 3x a week, 1 juvenile 3-4 med large locust daily, and a 5 month old who will eat 6 med/ large daily, when we got the youngest one he seemed younger than we were told and weighed only 15 grams, we started feeding him s/m locust and he was eating 12 twice a day, and doubled his weight in a month,
You monthly cost will depend on what age your gecko will be but breaking down costs £10-15 seems about right, also crickets are cheaper than locust but I don't use them, mealworms are good to but only 1 of mine eats them,
Hope this helps
Welcome to the forum,
Regards
Lisa
Old 07-10-2011, 10:34 AM
Premier Citizen

hi welcome to the forum hope you enjoy your self on here

£150 sounds about right for a set up then i would say a box of crickets a week
you would need calcium and nutrobal for dusting crickets

I use cheap goldfish flakes and apple for feeding crickets

Old 07-10-2011, 08:38 PM
Regular

Thanks very much for all the advice, guys. It's good to know where to come for help. awh, thanks for the cricket feeding advice, I was wondering about that.

I'm really looking forward to getting this show on the road, now; I have to head up to the London MCM Expo with some friends for the last weekend of this month (Anyone else here going? We might run into each-other. ), a trip that's both annual and planned months in-advance, or else I'd be setting this up right now. As it is, I have to wait until at least November for my finances to recover, and I can't exactly justify shooting off to London having just bought a brand-new gecko, that'd be cruel.

Also, did a bit of research on vivarium tables last night and today at my local petshop; my room is an attic room, and I have limited standing height, only 3 feet give/take a centimetre until the wall slopes out and becomes the ceiling, so I need a table that sits relatively low to the floor but still has the various cupboards and shelves needed for storage. Strange situation, I know, but I have to make do, as I don't have a seperate room where it'd be possible, or for that matter safe, to keep the viv away from the odd inquisitive visitor. Can anyone suggest some help, in this regard?

Cheers again, guys.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:59 PM
Premier Member
Reviews: 8

I've just bought my first Leo (far from my first reptile mind ) and it cost me; £30 for the viv, £10 for the heat mat, £26 for the stat, furniture and decor I already had lying around, and then of course £15 for the Leo.

Look on classifieds etc, I got my Leo from a breeder and my heatmat from a private advert.

Food - 3 boxes of mealworms £6, I feed the mealworms value range oatmeal and potatoes. 3 boxes last around a month, mine's only a baby. Electricity, I honestly don't notice the difference from before I had reps, and that's 12 snakes and 3 lizards later.

With regards your table, a TV stand?
Setting up an arboreal vivarium with pictures
PM me and i'll help if I can
Old 08-10-2011, 03:15 PM
Regular

Okay, guys. The London date is three weeks yesterday (friday). I reckon it'll be about 4-6 weeks, from now, until I can afford to set up and buy a gecko. TwinPet currently has three Leopard Geckos in-stock, but I haven't been able to get a very good look at them, and the staff aren't being very forthcoming with the age of their livestock or the name of the breeder. I will be sure to insist on viewing any and all geckos before committing to a buy, and will thoroughly inspect whatever they have on the day; if their stock isn't looking too savvy, I'll hold off and either buy from a breeder, or from the classifieds.

Table problem's all wrapped up, Argos to the rescue as usual.

As for my setup to-be, I figure I'm going with the following:
  • Exo Terra PT2602 Viv (30cm x 30cm x 45cm)
  • Exo Terra Leopard Gecko Startup Kit
    - Compact Top
    - ReptiGlo 2.0 bulb
    - Heat Rock
    - Thermometer
    - Feeding Dish
    - Water Dish
    - Reptile Cave
I also have the following care books:
  • The Leopard Gecko Manual (Herp. Library, 2004 Ed.)
  • Pet Owner's Guide to the: Leopard Gecko (Noel & Janet Morgan, 2002)
I know there are other bits and pieces of kit I need; the care books don't detail what I should have, so I'm not too terribly sure what I'm missing; recommendations, anyone? TwinPet are overstocked with the magnetic Reptile Dens in various sizes, so I might also add one of those.

So, what am I missing/overlooking, guys? I feel like, and know, I'm ill-prepared, and they do say knowing is half the battle...

Last edited by glazios; 08-10-2011 at 03:29 PM..
Old 08-10-2011, 04:57 PM
Premier Citizen
Send a message via Yahoo to Paul B

Hmm

I assume the viv is 45 cm long rather than high.
IMO this is far too small and should be at least 60cm long x 30 x 30.

Dump the heat rock.

Buy a heat mat that is a third of the size of the base of the viv.
Buy a mat stat to ensure the mat does not get too hot.

The UV is a debatable point. As Leos are nocturnal they really dont see a lot of the sun.

They do need a damp hide to assist with shedding.

Unfortunately the "starter kits" sold by large pet superstores tend to be useless or only suitable for the first few months of the animals life.

If the employees of the business are not keen to tell you the most important things about the creatures you buy i suggest you buy them elsewhere. P

Tags
leopard gecko