calming savanah monitor - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 29-03-2012, 08:23 PM
Egg
Smile calming savanah monitor

hi im new to rfuk, ive had a long break from reptiles but now have more time to spend with them again.
have got a sub adult monitor is ok feeding but still a bit agressive when handling and touching any tips on calming her down or is it a case of time before she trust me. never had this trouble with my iggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31-03-2012, 11:31 AM
Ultra Citizen

Ive heard different "calming" techniques, i was advised to keep picking them up even when theyre whipping and pooing all over the place. I did this and mine never calme down at all, he just seemed to get stressed out. I tried a new approach of coaxing him out with food on tongs (so not to associate my fingers with food, because a bosc bite really hurtss)until he began to trust me moving him back in. Now hes handleable but i dont drop my guard because he can be a bit of a
Old 31-03-2012, 01:10 PM
Banned

It worked best for me by opening the Viv often and moving stuff around and changing his water. Picking things up and putting them down, just being there and doing stuff without touching him, and when it's feeding time use food to lure him into your lap or arms and then stroke and handle whilst feeding to get him used to human interaction. now I can open the Viv at anytime with or without food and put my hands/arms in and so whatever I want including pick him up without a problem.

Gauging when he has ha enough is the key and every Bosc is going to be different. The bath technique did not work at all for me my Bosc hates the bath and either goes mental and stresses out or plays dead
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31-03-2012, 02:04 PM
Super Citizen

If hes playing dead and just floating then maybe you got too much water in there...always start then very shallow so the water touches the bellies but they have the security of walking etc and work up from there.

Best way I found was to literally leave them alone do as above...cleaning/maintenance/changing water etc but never approaching him or touching him and always use tongs to feed. Funny enough the less physical contact one has with alot of monitors the better they get on with you! Go with their pace and not with yours as people get very impatient very easily. They get better as they get older but if you keep trying to pick them up (no monitor likes this!) you keep breaking your trust.
Old 31-03-2012, 03:45 PM
Banned

I've tried all different depths and temps in the bath he Just constantly jumps and tries to climb out or spreads arms n legs out and lays flat. It's more the fact that I'm Towering over him that's making him scared I think, I gave up with the bath and tamed him fine otherwise, if he sees your hands and arms in HIS Viv once or twice a day and your not threatening him or invading his space to much they soon get used to it rather than see it as a threat. which makes the keeping of a Bosc a lot more enjoyable and managable a friend o mine has a 1 year old Bosc who has not touched it or picked it up in 6 months. He has to throw a towl over it and bundle it into a box to be able to clean it's Viv and change water. unfortunately there's a lot of boscs kep this way due to owners not being able to put the time or patiance into it.

And that's why so many end up in rescue centers or in the classifieds...
Old 01-04-2012, 01:16 AM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel-james View Post
I've tried all different depths and temps in the bath he Just constantly jumps and tries to climb out or spreads arms n legs out and lays flat. It's more the fact that I'm Towering over him that's making him scared I think, I gave up with the bath and tamed him fine otherwise, if he sees your hands and arms in HIS Viv once or twice a day and your not threatening him or invading his space to much they soon get used to it rather than see it as a threat. which makes the keeping of a Bosc a lot more enjoyable and managable a friend o mine has a 1 year old Bosc who has not touched it or picked it up in 6 months. He has to throw a towl over it and bundle it into a box to be able to clean it's Viv and change water. unfortunately there's a lot of boscs kep this way due to owners not being able to put the time or patiance into it.

And that's why so many end up in rescue centers or in the classifieds...
Majority of monitors end up on the classifieds because they outgrow the owners space and people then realise they need space which they thought they had when they bought him! Niles usually get passed on due to aggression.

But its not about putting time in its about giving them time! People shouldnt be handling any monitor in my opinion unless necessary ie baths, cleaning. Even when you think theyre tame they will still poo on you and for a reason! So best advice I could give is leave them alone or buy a hamster if you want pet something
Old 01-04-2012, 10:55 AM
Banned

Yes so they all need handling to some extent? Which is what the post is about being able to tame a Bosc down. Not turning it into a hamster.
ConstrictorsCymru likes this.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:47 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel-james View Post
Yes so they all need handling to some extent? Which is what the post is about being able to tame a Bosc down. Not turning it into a hamster.
Your obviously upset about my post so I apologise if I offended you.

I was simply making the point that "handling" a monitor isnt the best way to take them in my opinion and from my experience. I was told to do the same thing with my bosc and yeah it worked to a certain extent but when I actually tried the hands off method that a lot of the guys swear by on here I actually learnt a lot more about my monitors.

Anyway maybe a more experienced member on the forum may comment on this or you could post on the monitor & tegu thread for a better answer.

Like I said...didnt mean to offend just tried to help by replying to the post and give my experience.

Good Luck with the bosc.

Edit: Just to clarify mate I was telling you to buy a hamster bud or directing it at you lol I was responding to the OP. I only quoted your message to give reason why a lot of people get rid of monitors.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:49 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstrictorsCymru View Post
Ive heard different "calming" techniques, i was advised to keep picking them up even when theyre whipping and pooing all over the place. I did this and mine never calme down at all, he just seemed to get stressed out. I tried a new approach of coaxing him out with food on tongs (so not to associate my fingers with food, because a bosc bite really hurtss)until he began to trust me moving him back in. Now hes handleable but i dont drop my guard because he can be a bit of a
ok thanks for that sounds like i dont have 2 many problems she comes out of the viv for food and a walkround and doesnt hiss as much when i change water etc can pick her up but at 3foot now can be a handful, and shes going to get better.
not to bad in the bath great just after shes fed less mess in viv and wash it down the plug hole,thanks to all
Old 02-04-2012, 12:50 AM
Banned

Not upset at all about your post, I was just saying that surely they all need taming to some extent. Even if as you say they are only handled when necessary.. My bosc is tame but it doesn't meen I get him out for cuddles and afternoon naps on the sofa... Just makes it easier for me to carry out duties in the Viv and a more enjoyable experience lol.

Tags
savanah monitor