Suitable Herps - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 14-10-2012, 03:51 AM
Hatchling

Since no one else has mentioned them, Blue Tongue Skinks. They have similar requirements to bearded dragons but are less common and are just as friendly and in my opinion much much cooler.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-10-2012, 10:34 AM
Super Regular

ouch, well hasnt my butt been kicked?? I think I was lucky rather than not notice any aggression, I dont think I did too badly for one beardy to live 11yrs and the other 2 weeks shy of her 13th birthday...
Scalez
Old 14-10-2012, 10:47 AM
Hatchling

^^^^^ sarcasm?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-10-2012, 11:34 AM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzyDazDaz View Post
^^^^^ sarcasm?

Isn't it obvious

My post wasn't supposed to be rude or patronising, I just don't think it's a good idea advising a newbie to cohabit straight off the mark. Imo you need to have owned the individuals separately beforehand so that you know what their normal behaviours are, and if they change after being introduced. I wouldn't want the newbie getting 2 animals, thinking everything is hunkydory, then finding out that they need to fork out on another setup, possibly vet bills or just rehoming one of their pets.

I speak from experience, my OH has recently had aggression (and injuries) with 3 leopard geckos that have lived together peacefully for at least 6 years. So it does happen.
Spot likes this.

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/
Old 14-10-2012, 01:17 PM
Premier Member
Reviews: 1

Nobody's wrong in what they've posted about co-habiting. It can work - and it can go horribly wrong. It's a bit like "Big Brother" on TV - sometimes the housemates get on, sometimes they don't. Since the average contestant (and viewer) have similar levels of intelligence to a reptile, the analogy is a good one....

There are some other species that could go into the mix and could be worth considering in a 4x2x2 viv. There are loads of geckos that aren't commonly discussed, but that would live happily in a viv of that size. A chuckwalla is another possibility.

I'd recommend going to a large reptile shop and having a good look at lots of different species. See what takes your fancy.

Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

“... there is no shame in not knowing. The problem arises when irrational thought and attendant behavior fill the vacuum left by ignorance.”
Old 14-10-2012, 01:20 PM
Super Regular

I agree with the whole concept of animals living separately especially for a newbie, but once the basics were understood then there could have been space to add another and learn the next level so to speak of two individuals co-inhabiting one enclosure and THAT'S what I was saying, there is space IF the enclosure is well furnished, IF there are suitable basking spots, IF there are enough hiding spots and IF the owner is prepared to split the pair where necessary... a lot of IF's I know...
Scalez
Old 14-10-2012, 01:21 PM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffers3 View Post
Nobody's wrong in what they've posted about co-habiting. It can work - and it can go horribly wrong. It's a bit like "Big Brother" on TV - sometimes the housemates get on, sometimes they don't. Since the average contestant (and viewer) have similar levels of intelligence to a reptile, the analogy is a good one....

There are some other species that could go into the mix and could be worth considering in a 4x2x2 viv. There are loads of geckos that aren't commonly discussed, but that would live happily in a viv of that size. A chuckwalla is another possibility.

I'd recommend going to a large reptile shop and having a good look at lots of different species. See what takes your fancy.
Thankyou thankyou thankyou - that's what I meant!
Scalez
Old 18-01-2013, 04:53 PM
Egg

Right thanks for that guys. I'm looking into a bearded dragon or some gecko's. I don't suppose anyone knows of any reputable breeders in the south london area?

cheers
Old 18-01-2013, 09:59 PM
Forum Citizen
Reviews: 14
Send a message via Skype™ to dan112

have a look on the classifeds

0.1.0 beardie ( Rexina ) - CB 08 aug
0.0.1 snow striped corn snake (frosty) - CB 11 april
0.0.1 western hognose (Ares) CB 12
0.0.1 cali king (zeus) CB 12

R.I.P 4 Black beauty stick insect ( Peruphasma schultei )
R.I.P europeon mantid - euro ( Mantis religiosa )