Viv or RUB for baby corn snake? - Page 3 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 16-10-2012, 06:46 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharna86 View Post
Thanks for all your advise. My boyfriend is building the vivarium as he's a carpenter so cheaper than buying one from the reptile shop. Is 4 ft too big thou or is it ok with lots of hides, plants ect?
You could put a divider down the middle of the viv until it gets feeding properly and little more confident just too be sure. But I dont see you having a problem aslong as it has a good few hides, plants, branches, no gaps that enables it to escape etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-10-2012, 07:01 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Boswell View Post
You could put a divider down the middle of the viv until it gets feeding properly and little more confident just too be sure. But I dont see you having a problem aslong as it has a good few hides, plants, branches, no gaps that enables it to escape etc.
Brilliant. Just what I wanted to hear! It will have loads in with it so will definatly have lots of places to hide. Also is there much difference between male and female apart from the obvious ; )
Old 16-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Brilliant. Just what I wanted to hear! It will have loads in with it so will definatly have lots of places to hide. Also is there much difference between male and female apart from the obvious ; )
No not particularly except females usually get slightly bigger and usually cost a little more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-10-2012, 07:15 PM
Premier Citizen

Just one thing though be very carefull about the gap between the glass as alot of babys get out this way.
Alex Boswell likes this.
Old 18-10-2012, 02:22 PM
Forum Citizen

Thanks for all your advise. We have found glass door vivarium runners on eBay that only have 1mm gap. This should be ok shouldn't it?
Old 18-10-2012, 02:29 PM
Premier Member
Reviews: 8

Quote:
Thanks for all your advise. We have found glass door vivarium runners on eBay that only have 1mm gap. This should be ok shouldn't it?
You want to make sure the glass itself is thick, to minimise any gap. I had a snake escape when I mistakely bought picture glass (for photo frames). You want the glass they use in greenhouses, think it's 6mm reinforced
Setting up an arboreal vivarium with pictures
PM me and i'll help if I can
Old 18-10-2012, 02:34 PM
Forum Citizen

I would def get as thick as possible as I have 2 small children don't want them being able to smash it!
Old 18-10-2012, 02:36 PM
Premier Member
Reviews: 8

Quote:
I would def get as thick as possible as I have 2 small children don't want them being able to smash it!
Haha yeah get reinforced stuff. My local glazer knows me now and knows it's for vivs, so he gives me the reinforced stuff and polishes the edges so they are smooth, as snakes will rub their noses up the side of the glass. Also I suggest viv locks, 1) for the children, and 2) so no escapes from pushed-open doors! Can get them for less than £2 on eBay, that's where I got mine as I needed 4
Setting up an arboreal vivarium with pictures
PM me and i'll help if I can
Old 18-10-2012, 03:58 PM
Forum Citizen

I will def be getting viv locks and possibly even wedges too as I don't want any escapes!! Really don't fancy trying to find a tiny cornsnake in my house lets alone in with my gerbils!
Old 18-10-2012, 04:30 PM
5 Star Member

You need to get glass that fits the runners!! It doesn't matter how thick it is, the space between the 2 sheets will be the same whether it's 6mm or 4mm glass.
And a baby corn can get through that gap.

4mm toughened glass will be fine for a corn snake. You can put airhose down the egdes of the glass where it overlaps, this will help block off the gap.

Tags
corn snake , snake