Viv or RUB for baby corn snake? - Page 4 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 18-10-2012, 05:39 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah81 View Post
You need to get glass that fits the runners!! It doesn't matter how thick it is, the space between the 2 sheets will be the same whether it's 6mm or 4mm glass.
And a baby corn can get through that gap.

4mm toughened glass will be fine for a corn snake. You can put airhose down the egdes of the glass where it overlaps, this will help block off the gap.
I would get the right size glass to fit the runner but are you saying that baby cornsnakes can get thru vivarium sliding door gaps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-10-2012, 05:46 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharna86 View Post
I would get the right size glass to fit the runner but are you saying that baby cornsnakes can get thru vivarium sliding door gaps?
Yes, I have already said this and so have a few opther people on this thread.
This is the problem with putting very small hatchlings in vivs like this. Where the 2 pieces of glass overlap in the middle there is a gap between the sheets of glass that very small snakes can squeeze through.
Corns can pretty much flatten themselves out when they want to get through something.

You need to either block this off, air hose down the edges works well, or use a smaller more secure tub for a while first.
Old 18-10-2012, 05:58 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Yes, I have already said this and so have a few opther people on this thread.
This is the problem with putting very small hatchlings in vivs like this. Where the 2 pieces of glass overlap in the middle there is a gap between the sheets of glass that very small snakes can squeeze through.
Corns can pretty much flatten themselves out when they want to get through something.

You need to either block this off, air hose down the edges works well, or use a smaller more secure tub for a while first.
It won't be a hatchling thou as I'm getting it from a pet shop that doesn't sell before 8 weeks. Also why would they try selling me a vivarium as well as the snake if they knew it could get out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-10-2012, 06:07 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
It won't be a hatchling thou as I'm getting it from a pet shop that doesn't sell before 8 weeks. Also why would they try selling me a vivarium as well as the snake if they knew it could get out?
That's still classed as a hatchling and it will still be very small.

Shops need to sell things to exist!!! They don't care what happens to it once you've taken it out the shop. They are there to make money at the end of the day.
Alex Boswell likes this.
Old 18-10-2012, 06:43 PM
Premier Member
Reviews: 8

Quote:
You need to get glass that fits the runners!! It doesn't matter how thick it is, the space between the 2 sheets will be the same whether it's 6mm or 4mm glass.
And a baby corn can get through that gap.

4mm toughened glass will be fine for a corn snake. You can put airhose down the egdes of the glass where it overlaps, this will help block off the gap.
No it won't. 2 pieces of 4mm glass will have a bigger space than 6mm glass when pushed apart by a snakes head.
Setting up an arboreal vivarium with pictures
PM me and i'll help if I can
Old 18-10-2012, 06:53 PM
5 Star Member

Not if you have the correct sized runners. If you have 4mm glass in 6mm runners then yes it will move around in the runners.
I have used both in home made vivs and the gap I had between the 6mm glass was more than the 4mm glass.

Sent from my ST18i

National Reptile Awareness Day
Old 18-10-2012, 06:54 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstypical View Post
No it won't. 2 pieces of 4mm glass will have a bigger space than 6mm glass when pushed apart by a snakes head.
I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking that surely the gaps wouldn't be the same with different thickness glass. Do you think that a baby cornsnake could escape thru the gaps?
Old 18-10-2012, 07:06 PM
5 Star Member

I can't understand why you would think there's a bigger gap. If you put 2 sheets of glass in runners that have the same width bit of plastic in between them it doesn't matter how thick the glass is. It could be wafer thin or 6ft thick the gap is still going to be the same cos they can only get as close to each other as the runners allow.
They can only be pushed apart as far as the runner allows as well. So if you have thin glass in wide runners then yes it will move more.

Sent from my ST18i

Old 18-10-2012, 07:09 PM
5 Star Member

And it's not a myth that they can get between the pieces. This information is common knowledge because it has actually happened quite a bit.

Sent from my ST18i

Old 18-10-2012, 07:17 PM
Premier Member
Reviews: 8

Quote:
I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking that surely the gaps wouldn't be the same with different thickness glass. Do you think that a baby cornsnake could escape thru the gaps?
Yep I lost a little baby cornsnake when I had one piece of 6mm and one piece of 4mm, I know it got through the gap because it left it's shed skin there then, I put an adult corn in that viv and it pushed against the glass so hard trying to get out that the glass pane just smashed. I also had a viv wedge in, which I think added to the pressure on the glass. I ALWAYS use 6mm reinforced greenhouse glass now, and locks not wedges
Setting up an arboreal vivarium with pictures
PM me and i'll help if I can

Tags
corn snake , snake