Viv or RUB for baby corn snake? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 15-10-2012, 04:29 PM
Forum Citizen
Default Viv or RUB for baby corn snake?

Hi all. New here so please bare with me! We're getting a baby corn snake next weekend for my son but the pet shop have advised to start in a 4ft viv. Reading on here I'm now wondering if this is needed as the snake will only be tiny so wondering if it will get scared. Am I worth getting this Viv or just a RUB until its big enough for the 4ft viv?
Thanks for any advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-10-2012, 05:16 PM
5 Star Member

Hi, corns can be ok in larger vivs however it is possible for them to get a bit scared as they can be agrophobic.
It is also possible for smaller corns to squeeze through the gaps between the doors or wire holes when they are very tiny so it can be safer to put them in smaller tubs for a short time while they grow a bit fatter first.
Rubs are good for this and you can also buy Faunariums from the rep shop that will be fine for use with a corn and are cheap.
Old 15-10-2012, 05:24 PM
Ultra Citizen

It is not advised to house hatchling corns in vivs however I still did with no problems.

Aslong as its a secure setup - hides, plants, branches etc and you have a lock on the viv you will be fine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-10-2012, 08:59 PM
Ultra Citizen

I advise a large faunarium, all Mrs SpiderSnake's corns have been in fauns all their life - never seen the inside of a viv. A pet shop will ALWAYS try to sell you sh!t you just don't need & will tell you a pile of crap to make you think you do. Its as simple as that. They are running a shop which means they want as much of your money as they can get & they will lie through their teeth to get it. Sorry but that is the honest truth.
This hobby is only as expensive as you want to make it.

1.0.0 Burmese python, 1.1.2 Tarantulas, 1.0.0 Crested Gecko, 1.1.0 Cats, 0.2.0 Ferrets, 0.0.1 Goldfish, 0.2.0 Children, 0.1.0 Endlessly Nagging Wife!
Old 15-10-2012, 09:41 PM
Premier Member
Reviews: 8

A RUB or equally sized secure plastic tub will do for babies. Once they get a bit bigger, i.e. too big to squeeze between the glass doors of a viv, they will be happy in a viv. Mine go into a viv as soon as they are big enough, with lots of branches etc to climb on. Faunariums are bad at holding heat, and hatchlings can become caught in the plastic lid. Corns can and will escape, or at least try to, and IMO fauns are for spiders/inverts
Setting up an arboreal vivarium with pictures
PM me and i'll help if I can
Old 16-10-2012, 03:21 PM
Forum Citizen

I've used faunariums for my young corns and they do fine in there till big enough. After that I've put them straight into 3 foot vivs. I've never put them into a 4 foot viv, most will be fine in a 3 foot viv for life. Although if you have the funds and space a four foot viv will be fine too. They would also do fine in a larger faunarium for life, vivs are just nicer to look at and to display your snake. It's really up to you and your individual snake, some will utilise the space others wont. Good luck with your new addition.
Old 16-10-2012, 03:32 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakess View Post
I've used faunariums for my young corns and they do fine in there till big enough. After that I've put them straight into 3 foot vivs. I've never put them into a 4 foot viv, most will be fine in a 3 foot viv for life. Although if you have the funds and space a four foot viv will be fine too. They would also do fine in a larger faunarium for life, vivs are just nicer to look at and to display your snake. It's really up to you and your individual snake, some will utilise the space others wont. Good luck with your new addition.
What size faun would you keep a corn in for life? I've never seen one big enough.
Alex Boswell likes this.
Old 16-10-2012, 04:22 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstypical View Post
What size faun would you keep a corn in for life? I've never seen one big enough.
I agree, the largest faunariums I have seen are the exo terra large - They are around 45 cm x 30cm x 18cm which are not big enough for an adult.
Old 16-10-2012, 04:26 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Boswell View Post
I agree, the largest faunariums I have seen are the exo terra large - They are around 45 cm x 30cm x 18cm which are not big enough for an adult.
I have a large flat faunarium (the biggest I was aware existed) and I wouldn't like to try and squeeze an adult into it even for transportation. The head would be out, then you'd get the head in the tail would be out... there's just no way an adult could live in one.

I wish people would keep fauns for inverts, not reptiles!
Alex Boswell likes this.
Old 16-10-2012, 04:40 PM
Premier Citizen

Go to "The Range" and pick up a 42lt for £7.99 or"Asda" for £6.98 this will be alright for about 2year's depending on the snake and how fast it grows it's aroud 2foot long and 1 foot and half depth (i think) just make sure you tape the lid around the top down sercurly other wise a corn could easily take the top off or squeeze out.

Don't forgot the thermostat!!!!.

Tags
corn snake , snake