Leopard Gecko - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 30-10-2012, 09:40 AM
Hatchling
Default Leopard Gecko

I was hoping someone could give me a little bit of advice, ive now managed to tame one of my leopard geckos the only problem is i get really nervous when she climbs up my arm as im afraid she might fall off and hurt herself.

I sit by her viv but dont know the best way to handle her as she is still young and quite quick. As she climbed up my arm i tried to keep it in the viv as much as possible so that if she did come off she wouldnt hurt herself. I really want to feel confident in picking her up and taking her out of her tank but am scared that she might get on the floor run off and hide in many of the gaps in my front room it under the sofa, TV computer desk.

Can someone give me any tips or advice as ive now not been confident to pick her up over the last couple of days and dont want all mine and her hard work of trust going out the window.

Thanks Guys x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-10-2012, 10:29 AM
Hatchling

hi there,

i have the sam problem the best way i found to do it is just lay on the floor with her and when she runs just put your hand infront of her and she will stop and go another way just keep doing it and she will realise that she cant just run off worked with mine

-Jake
Old 30-10-2012, 11:19 AM
Hatchling

thanks for the quick reply i will give it a go, as soon as she sees me shes straight to the glass wanting to get out, my other girl roxie who is in the same viv with her shows no interest at the moment.

I just get so worried that she will run off and ill loose her. my main concern is her jumping i dont want her to get hurt, if she did jump off me how badly would she get her dont want any broken limbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2012, 06:19 PM
Gold Star Member

My girl is quite controlling. She has no problem being handled but only if she fancies it. She will not be picked up and she will go where she pleases lol.

If she wants to be handled she will climb on me herself.

What I find helps, she has a certain hide in her vivarium that she favours over the rest. I take this out when I handle her and if she makes a run for it somewhere I put the hide down in her sight.

If I try to prevent her from going somewhere she will usually run further in the unwanted direction, most recently the back of the sofa. However when she sees the hide, she will go get in it instead. A very humane trap

Mostly though I just try and make sure I have all the angles covered

If you have any concerns, doubts or worries about your animals health always consult a qualified veterinarian (with the necessary experience).

Nobody can properly diagnose an animal based on descriptions and photos. Especially when those animals, such as reptiles, have a small list of visible symptoms than can be found across a large range of problems.

Always see a vet. Don't let strangers on the internet make you do something you'll regret. They won't take responsibility.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:50 PM

They are more resilient than you think and most falls are just shrugged off. If you have a carpetted house then that is a softer landing than obviously laminated floors. Allthough they do look delicate breaking bones is much more difficult than you think. If you handle them when sat down rather than stood up then there is less of a falk for them.
Old 22-11-2012, 07:27 PM
Hatchling

Can someone give me some advice please my leopard gecko always seems to be lying down and when she does her legs are laying flat bent kinda backwards. I'm worried she might have mbd I dust her food for 5 days with calcidust and 2 days with nutrabal is this correct she also has a bowl of calcidust in her viv at all times. In the last 3 days she's only eaten about 2 mealworms should I be worried
Old 22-11-2012, 07:41 PM
Gold Star Member

Calm down dear that's just how they sleep

If you have any concerns, doubts or worries about your animals health always consult a qualified veterinarian (with the necessary experience).

Nobody can properly diagnose an animal based on descriptions and photos. Especially when those animals, such as reptiles, have a small list of visible symptoms than can be found across a large range of problems.

Always see a vet. Don't let strangers on the internet make you do something you'll regret. They won't take responsibility.
Old 22-11-2012, 07:48 PM
Hatchling

I understand that's how they sleep but she just doesn't seem herself and was concerned that she hasn't eaten in 3 days which isn't like her and she always seems to be lying down like there's something wrong with her legs
Old 22-11-2012, 07:50 PM
Hatchling

Sorry also I just wanted to no if I was dusting her food enough with the right thing.
Old 22-11-2012, 07:52 PM
Gold Star Member

If you're really that concerned you'll have to take her to a vet.

There are a lot of variables in a change of appetite. Just the fact it's winter could be contributing to that.

But there's no need to get worried so early on. Keep monitoring for a while longer. And trust me, they sleep in the weirdest positions.

Mine sometimes sleep with her leg hanging out her hide in what looks like a physically impossible movement let alone comfortable.

Just saw your post: It's hard to comment on correct supplementation. After all it's your reptile. But what you're doing is widely the accepted way.

Personally I use Repashy Calcium Plus. It has everything a leopard gecko will ever need and you use it on every single feed. No need to change.

Also what age is she? She might just need to pace her eating a bit.

Tags
gecko