Leopard gecko not ratting :( help - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 03-11-2012, 11:55 PM

There is no need to manually drop the temps as their will be a natural drop in ambient temps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 05:36 PM
Hatchling

mine goes down to 22 at night and my leo's are fine they would experience a sharper drop in night time temps in the wild than could be simulated in the domestic environment

in terms of digestion temperature readings from wild leos burrows have good daytime heat temperature readings and some uv exposure this is when they will digest the food that they have caught the night before

try not to mess with him/her to much and allow to settle in offer locusts and if the same behavior persists then consult a vet
40 Gallon Dirt Planted Tank
1 Female Homosapien
Old 05-11-2012, 12:29 AM
Premier Citizen

I also never drop the temps at night.
All 11 of mine are on heat mats 24/7 that's are set by a thermostat at 32, the actual temp in the hot end ranges from 31-33ish.

If they want to cool down the can go to the cold end, but I rarely see them resting down there. Only in the hotter months. They all move about a lot, but 9/10 sleep in their warm ends.
They each have a flattish rock that sits half on and half off part of the heat mat an most of them flatten their bellies on that after they've all chowed down to digest their food babies.

Honestly though, I wouldn't panic yet. 10 days is nothing when you think one of mine fasted for 3 months. I was a wreck by the time she decided to eat: seeing her go for that first meal worm made me cry!!!
1.0.2 - Viper Gecko (Teratolepis fasciata)
1.0.0 - Californian King Snake (Lampropeltis getula californiae)
1.0.0 Common Boa - (Boa constrictor)

0.1 Sprollie - Floss, 0.1 Belgian Malinois - Dally, 0.1 German Shepherd (Straight Backed) - Isa, 1.0 American Akita - Cramer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2012, 10:18 AM
Super Citizen

It's not been long. Reptiles can take months to settle into a new environment. The worst thing you can do is shove food in the poor things face every day, let him settle in.

I agree about the night time drops; I too don't understand the reasoning. Leopards are most active at night, they're nocturnal. Surely it's best to have the heat available to them when they're roaming and eating, etc?

You need to keep the mat at around 30c, with an obvious gradient in the vivarium for thermoregulation.
1 Albino Lavender Kingsnake
1 Bearded Dragon
1 Axolotls
1 African Pygmy Hedgehog
"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms."
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 05-11-2012, 10:25 AM
Gold Star Member

I keep mine at the higher end of the scale at around 32.6C. I get increased activity and a seemingly brighter Leo (as in awareness not colour).

She seems to like it warmer and she can move away if she doesn't. Obviously if I found her moving away all the time I'd put the temp down but she rarely does.

And for someone who said that Leo's don't start digesting until they get back to their hides in the day that's untrue. Digestion starts when food enters the mouth. Otherwise there would be food squirming around inside

My girl eats at 8-10pm and I wouldn't want to put her heat down for the 8-9 hours I'm sleeping.

If you have any concerns, doubts or worries about your animals health always consult a qualified veterinarian (with the necessary experience).

Nobody can properly diagnose an animal based on descriptions and photos. Especially when those animals, such as reptiles, have a small list of visible symptoms than can be found across a large range of problems.

Always see a vet. Don't let strangers on the internet make you do something you'll regret. They won't take responsibility.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:58 PM
Can't Read, Can't Write But Can Drive A Tractor.

I too dont change my heatmat, but I do find it generally warmer in the day, either from the room's temperature or because the lights are on so I know she can have whatever temperature she wants. Mine is on 2 floors (because she kept climbing everything) her upstairs is wooden and seems to hold the heat from the lights really well, and she LOVES it up there, she sleeps upstairs unless she shedding because her humid hide is downstairs. I wonder if she likes it so much because its more like the wild - heated by the light but then gets cooler by the time she wants to go to sleep. I would think my temps are wrong but its always around 31 on the heatmat downstairs with a really good gradient, in the evening when she gets up she lies on the heatmat most of the time. Also this way I dont have to tinker round by her other than switching the lights off and on, which might help your one settle in
Old 05-11-2012, 08:53 PM
Egg
Smile

Well the last two night I havnt dro the temp I've kept it the same and last night he ate two crickets so fingers crossed the problem has been solved thank you all for help and advice 😀clare

Tags
leopard gecko