Reptile Forums

Reptile Forums (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/)
-   Newbie Advice (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/newbie-advice/)
-   -   Leopard gecko not ratting :( help (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/newbie-advice/908022-leopard-gecko-not-ratting-help.html)

Cmc28x 03-11-2012 11:37 AM

Leopard gecko not ratting :( help

I brought leopard gecko 10 days ago and he's just it eating I've got the temp right with heat mat and have thermostat. I've tryed with crickets small hoppers and meal worms. He's getting thin now and only poo twice snice I've brought him . Any idea how can get my little Marley to eat?
Thank

Enigma Herp 03-11-2012 12:18 PM

juvenile or adult and what are your temps/substrate etc may just be settling in but shouldnt lose wieght that quickly take to a vet
do you no if the leo was a confident feeder before

Imrahill 03-11-2012 02:33 PM

It can take a bit of time for leos to settle my one hardly ate anything for first 2-3 weeks, just keep an eye on weight loss again is he/she juvinile or adult? what time of day are you feeding?

Cmc28x 03-11-2012 03:08 PM

He's only juvenile I'm just using kitchen roll for substrate as that what I was told was best to use. The temp in day round 32c and at night bout 22c I been putting food in at night.

Jesterone 03-11-2012 06:10 PM

I must admit I've never fully understood the night time drop for leopard geckos.

In the wild they hide during the day and come out at dusk until dawn, as they do in captivity. For warmth, they will lay on heated rocks (from the sun during the day) that hold their heat for several hours.

It stands to reason that during the day, hiding away, they'd actually be colder than at night. And seeing as heat is an active ingredient to their digestion and they eat at night, why would you out the temperature down at that pivotal moment.

I'm not saying don't as it's obviously a widely believed aspect of leopard gecko care but personally I do not dim the heat at night. My vivarium has a very good thermal gradient and the heating in the house goes off at night knocking down the cold half a couple of degrees should my girl fancy cooling down.

I would say in this case, if you're going to drop the temps for night time 22c is a bit low, at the least the lowest you should ever go. Maybe up the temp and see if it helps.

As others have said, he could still be settling in but you shouldn't hold your hopes on that too long. Even when the enclosure is new Leo's generally take food quite well.

Cmc28x 03-11-2012 06:15 PM

Thanks ill try that

Debbie1962 03-11-2012 08:36 PM

Have to agree with Jesterone about the night time temp drop. I never drop my temps for my leos at night. I have never had any feeding problems with mine. Keep your temps up all the time and hopefully there should be an improvement but if not then I would take the little one to the vet as he really should not be losing weight quickly. Do not leave it longer than a few more days if he is getting as thin as you state.

Cmc28x 03-11-2012 09:53 PM

Hi thanks I read on Internet that the temp at night should be between 21-23c but to night I'm going take yours advice and only drop by few c. Hope that helps him.

Ophexis 03-11-2012 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cmc28x (Post 10664805)
Hi thanks I read on Internet that the temp at night should be between 21-23c but to night I'm going take yours advice and only drop by few c. Hope that helps him.

You shouldn't need to drop the temperatures at all mate : victory: I have my AFT at 30-32*C at all times and she eats without fail whenever I throw food in :)

Jesterone 03-11-2012 11:38 PM

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet. Even what we say. People have different methods that work for them that others may even frown upon. But if it works for you and your animal is not in danger then who cares what they think.

I myself never drop the temperature and have never had any negative issues. And as above there are plenty of other experienced owners that do similar.

A faecal test through PALS is also something you should look into. It's a great, reasonably priced, service that will reveal any parasites.