New with a fusy BRB! Advise please!! - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 07-11-2012, 10:17 AM
Premier Member
Reviews: 8

You need a digital thermometer (and hygrometer actually) the stick on dials are useless, I wouldn't use one in my fridge never mind a viv. You can get them for about six quid on eBay

Do you have a thermostat etc?
Setting up an arboreal vivarium with pictures
PM me and i'll help if I can
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2012, 10:38 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstypical View Post
You need a digital thermometer (and hygrometer actually) the stick on dials are useless, I wouldn't use one in my fridge never mind a viv. You can get them for about six quid on eBay

Do you have a thermostat etc?
going to get a thermostat today hopefully. What do you think of my light/heating idea? I dont really want to put him in a rub since the viv was expensive, if I have to I obviously will though. Yea I know completely useless things iv got a digi thermometer/hygrometer in one coming any day now. The place I got him from said they where a waste of money and not to bother but everything/one else says get one ! I feel bad for Loki iv been a bad mummy should have done far more research and made sure the source was reliable
Black Lab + Cat
Tropical & Marine Fish
Axolotl Tank
Koi Pond
Old 07-11-2012, 11:01 AM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satahmoo View Post
going to get a thermostat today hopefully. What do you think of my light/heating idea? I dont really want to put him in a rub since the viv was expensive, if I have to I obviously will though. Yea I know completely useless things iv got a digi thermometer/hygrometer in one coming any day now. The place I got him from said they where a waste of money and not to bother but everything/one else says get one ! I feel bad for Loki iv been a bad mummy should have done far more research and made sure the source was reliable
If you seal the viv properly with silicone or something there's no reason it shouldn't hold humidity. Put the bulb and/or mat in one end, with a large-ish water bowl near the heat source to create some base humidity, then you can add to this with misting when needed. A dimmer would be best for a lightbulb, you *can* plug both the mat and bulb into this using a double plug adaptor, but bear in mind you've only got one probe, so if one fails (i.e. the bulb) the mat will stay on, getting possibly too hot. I'd put the probe on the mat, and make sure you have a bulb guard on the light. Ideally i'd just use a ceramic set up, I made a thread on setting up a viv with ceramics, have a look in my threads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2012, 05:32 PM
Forum Citizen

Hey here is a link to my pics of set up
Reptile Forums - jorge666's Album: Cb '11 Epicrates Cenchria Brazilian rainbow boa "Prometheus"
He is thriving in there
Imperious, choleric, irascible, extreme in everything, with a dissolute imagination the like of which has never been seen, atheistic to the point of fanaticism, there you have me in a nutshell.... Kill me again or take me as I am, for I shall not change.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:30 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge666 View Post
Hey here is a link to my pics of set up
Reptile Forums - jorge666's Album: Cb '11 Epicrates Cenchria Brazilian rainbow boa "Prometheus"
He is thriving in there
awww what a wee beauty! Iv no idea about morphs and all that but is he a leopard type? Im guna hold out till the thermometer/hygrometer arrives and see if I can sort my parameters out before puttin him in a rub! love his viv lol I got a stronger watt bulb today and less watt red for night. Was also told to leave his heat mat on constantly at the cool end. Iv got a few fish tanks so guna steal there thermometers and see what its like!
Really appreciate the help and pics!
Black Lab + Cat
Tropical & Marine Fish
Axolotl Tank
Koi Pond
Old 07-11-2012, 10:10 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satahmoo View Post
awww what a wee beauty! Iv no idea about morphs and all that but is he a leopard type? Im guna hold out till the thermometer/hygrometer arrives and see if I can sort my parameters out before puttin him in a rub! love his viv lol I got a stronger watt bulb today and less watt red for night. Was also told to leave his heat mat on constantly at the cool end. Iv got a few fish tanks so guna steal there thermometers and see what its like!
Really appreciate the help and pics!
That's rubbish? The cool end is the cool end, no heat needed. If that was the case you'd need another thermostat for that too. And if you turn the bulbs off at night the cool end would become the hot end as the mat would be on? Confusing much? Who told you that?

Tags
snake