New with a fusy BRB! Advise please!! - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 05-11-2012, 11:34 PM
Regular
Default New with a fusy BRB! Advise please!!

Hey just joined so saying hi!
I kept corns years ago when I was like 14, been a good while since I had a snake but when my sisters friend showed my his salmon boa I feel in love again
Got my baby Loki a brazilian rainbow boa at 6months mid August this year. He's been a fusy wee bugger since I got him with feeding, went of his food 3wks so I gave him a smaller mouse which worked he refused one last night but took it tonight instead. Hopefully he will come round to the bigger ones again!
He started to get a little wheeze in this time so I added a heat mat and that seems to have cleared up but iv noticed his strength/grip while I'm holding him isn't as strong as it was if you know what I mean. Any ideas?
Iv got a hygrometer coming durning the week as I was worrying it maybe had something to do with the humidity. Where abouts should I place it in the viv for the most accurate reading?
Also he weighs 100g is this ok for his age?
Any tips would be great.
Black Lab + Cat
Tropical & Marine Fish
Axolotl Tank
Koi Pond
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2012, 12:37 AM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satahmoo View Post
Hey just joined so saying hi!
I kept corns years ago when I was like 14, been a good while since I had a snake but when my sisters friend showed my his salmon boa I feel in love again
Got my baby Loki a brazilian rainbow boa at 6months mid August this year. He's been a fusy wee bugger since I got him with feeding, went of his food 3wks so I gave him a smaller mouse which worked he refused one last night but took it tonight instead. Hopefully he will come round to the bigger ones again!
He started to get a little wheeze in this time so I added a heat mat and that seems to have cleared up but iv noticed his strength/grip while I'm holding him isn't as strong as it was if you know what I mean. Any ideas?
Iv got a hygrometer coming durning the week as I was worrying it maybe had something to do with the humidity. Where abouts should I place it in the viv for the most accurate reading?
Also he weighs 100g is this ok for his age?
Any tips would be great.

My brb was also a fussy wee lil bugger, but not now she chomps down large rats like there no bodies business, so i wouldn't worry to much. What type of viv she in? If it's to big she may just be really scared, brb are very shy secretive snakes so plenty of hides is a MUST and if its a wee baby, best keeping in a small rub till she is bigger and feeding regular. Another thing to consider is the humidity. Brb need about 70% - 80% and for a baby this is essential, preferably about 80% Give him a spray at least once a day, and or get a moist hide using spagham moss.

In most cases of non-feeding or awkward feeding it's due to slight husbandry issues, so make sure everything is absolutly top notch. If all is 100% then brain the food, i'm sure that'll get her going.

I'm by no means an expert and if you look on the main snakes page there is page after page after page of how to get snakes to eat, just click in the search button at the top.

Hope this helps and good luck with you snakey
Old 06-11-2012, 08:52 AM
Regular

Thanks for the advice! Hes now 9months in a 2x2x1 a corck hide along with two big bits of twisted up wood he could get under. Do you think its too big?
What do you think of his weight is that ok? I'm getting a hygrometer should be here in a few days was worried it could be humidity. Where is the best place to put it in the viv?
Black Lab + Cat
Tropical & Marine Fish
Axolotl Tank
Koi Pond
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2012, 07:19 PM
5 Star Member

You added a heat mat? Did you not have any heating before?

A viv would be better heated with a lamp or ceramic heater.

What are your hot spot and cold side temps?

A moist hide and some good substrate should be all you need to keep the humidity for a brb.

Sent from my ST18i

National Reptile Awareness Day
Old 06-11-2012, 07:36 PM
Forum Citizen
Default :D

I keep my BRB in an 18lt really useful box (bought from staples) heat mat underneath the RUB where the hide and on newspaper with damp spaghnum moss in it's hide, keep it really damp and let it settle in for a couple weeks before handling, then give it a small mouse warmed with boiling water and dangle in front of its face with tweezers and it should snatch it, dont keep in a viv or use a light as light drys the air in the viv and BRB dont like it, RUB moss and heat mat hope this helps
Imperious, choleric, irascible, extreme in everything, with a dissolute imagination the like of which has never been seen, atheistic to the point of fanaticism, there you have me in a nutshell.... Kill me again or take me as I am, for I shall not change.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:39 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah81 View Post
You added a heat mat? Did you not have any heating before?

A viv would be better heated with a lamp or ceramic heater.

What are your hot spot and cold side temps?

A moist hide and some good substrate should be all you need to keep the humidity for a brb.

Sent from my ST18i
Of course I have heat light in lol
I put he mat in cuz temp at night was dropping like under 18 it seems to stay stable at 20 now at night. To be honest I only have a stick on thermometer at the hot side no idea about the cold side, but since mat has been in he stays in the hide that's above it.... Day temp sits between 28-30. Have a more accurate thermometer/ hygrometer on the way
Black Lab + Cat
Tropical & Marine Fish
Axolotl Tank
Koi Pond
Old 06-11-2012, 07:45 PM
Forum Citizen

Serious?? even at night it shouldn't drop below 24c or it'll drop its metabolism, and it wont eat, seriously, heat mat, plastic rub and damp moss in the hide... i had to go through the same thing finding the right combination for my guy
Imperious, choleric, irascible, extreme in everything, with a dissolute imagination the like of which has never been seen, atheistic to the point of fanaticism, there you have me in a nutshell.... Kill me again or take me as I am, for I shall not change.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:13 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge666 View Post
Serious?? even at night it shouldn't drop below 24c or it'll drop its metabolism, and it wont eat, seriously, heat mat, plastic rub and damp moss in the hide... i had to go through the same thing finding the right combination for my guy
Ooo ok I read somewhere 20 was fine! Right in thinking of changing his bulb to ceramic and putting in a red bulb for night and move the heat mat more centre to hot end what you think?
Black Lab + Cat
Tropical & Marine Fish
Axolotl Tank
Koi Pond
Old 06-11-2012, 08:17 PM
Forum Citizen

Nah thats freezing poor bugger! ditch the light put it in a plastic tub (really useful box) with a heat mat UNDER THE BOX where the hide is with moss in it, I can post a couple of pictures of the set up prometheus(my male) BRB is in, if you can hang on till tomorrow?
Old 06-11-2012, 10:25 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge666 View Post
Nah thats freezing poor bugger! ditch the light put it in a plastic tub (really useful box) with a heat mat UNDER THE BOX where the hide is with moss in it, I can post a couple of pictures of the set up prometheus(my male) BRB is in, if you can hang on till tomorrow?
Yea sure that would be great!! Thanks for the help
Black Lab + Cat
Tropical & Marine Fish
Axolotl Tank
Koi Pond

Tags
snake