stupid temp question - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 08-11-2012, 08:32 PM
Regular
Default stupid temp question

Prob the stupidest thing you will read buttttt...... Does the viv temp have to drop at night or can it just stay at the required daytime temp gradients between hot n cold end?
Black Lab + Cat
Tropical & Marine Fish
Axolotl Tank
Koi Pond
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2012, 08:44 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satahmoo View Post
Prob the stupidest thing you will read buttttt...... Does the viv temp have to drop at night or can it just stay at the required daytime temp gradients between hot n cold end?
Depends on what's in the viv. If its your brb then I believe the temps should remain constant but I am no expert maybe other brb keepers can advise.
Gongylophis colubrinus 1.0.0 (Bertie)

My Reptile Pictures Post @ http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...l#post10328934

See My Reptiles @ http://s784.photobucket.com/user/dar...ry/My%20Snakes

Last edited by Diamondback; 08-11-2012 at 08:49 PM..
Old 08-11-2012, 08:48 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
Depends on what's in the viv.
ooo so just depends per snake type?? Im keeping my day n night temp as are with the drop but was just wondering!
Black Lab + Cat
Tropical & Marine Fish
Axolotl Tank
Koi Pond
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2012, 10:14 PM
Postaholic Member

I have never dropped temps in any of my vivs, including my brbs at night, never will either

Artisan Reptiles - Facebook
-------------------------------------------
Lover & keeper of Boa Constrictor - Morphs/Commons/Dwarfs/BCI/BCC/BCA
plus
various Day, Satanic Leaftailed, Leachianus, other Gecko species
&
Western Hognose among other beautiful creatures!
Old 08-11-2012, 10:32 PM
Forum Citizen

It's not IMPERATIVE, just gives the animal a sense of "time" more than anything, if you don't give it a drop give it a warm hide and somewhere on the cooler side to hide and when he/she gets to warm he/she will go bask at the warm side or cool at the cool side if either gets too much, did you look at the link I showed you to my RUB? i just give him a hide over the heat mat and just a pile of damp spaghnum moss at the cool end for him
Imperious, choleric, irascible, extreme in everything, with a dissolute imagination the like of which has never been seen, atheistic to the point of fanaticism, there you have me in a nutshell.... Kill me again or take me as I am, for I shall not change.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:51 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge666 View Post
It's not IMPERATIVE, just gives the animal a sense of "time" more than anything, if you don't give it a drop give it a warm hide and somewhere on the cooler side to hide and when he/she gets to warm he/she will go bask at the warm side or cool at the cool side if either gets too much, did you look at the link I showed you to my RUB? i just give him a hide over the heat mat and just a pile of damp spaghnum moss at the cool end for him
yea i thought i wrote back to ya lol sorry!!! Im trying to sort the viv out have a proper thermometer/hygrometer coming should arrive today so giving it till Monday and if not right by then hes going in a rub ((just love the way his viv is ))
I was just wondering about the temp, was talking to a fella that didnt drop it and said he did know people dropped it at night to so I thought id ask and see what was right
Black Lab + Cat
Tropical & Marine Fish
Axolotl Tank
Koi Pond
Old 09-11-2012, 01:38 PM
Gold Star Member

I don't drop

If you have any concerns, doubts or worries about your animals health always consult a qualified veterinarian (with the necessary experience).

Nobody can properly diagnose an animal based on descriptions and photos. Especially when those animals, such as reptiles, have a small list of visible symptoms than can be found across a large range of problems.

Always see a vet. Don't let strangers on the internet make you do something you'll regret. They won't take responsibility.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:57 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satahmoo View Post
yea i thought i wrote back to ya lol sorry!!! Im trying to sort the viv out have a proper thermometer/hygrometer coming should arrive today so giving it till Monday and if not right by then hes going in a rub ((just love the way his viv is ))
I was just wondering about the temp, was talking to a fella that didnt drop it and said he did know people dropped it at night to so I thought id ask and see what was right
Personally I don't drop my temp either and he is fine, just bought a female for him and she'll be under the same conditions, I keep him at around 29-32c on his hotspot, if it gets to warm they'll move and cool down, so long as they have enough heat to get as warm as they need to be when they need it, they'll pretty much look after themselves
Imperious, choleric, irascible, extreme in everything, with a dissolute imagination the like of which has never been seen, atheistic to the point of fanaticism, there you have me in a nutshell.... Kill me again or take me as I am, for I shall not change.

Tags
snake