New Beardie Owner! - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 10-11-2012, 12:50 PM
Egg
Default New Beardie Owner!

Hey Everyone!!

Just joined today so thought i would say hello! I got my beardie last night hes 2 years old called Freddie and we love him to pieces already!
Any advice on handling etc would be greatly apreciated he seems to love sitting on my shoulders and behind my neck!!

And im sure this question has been asked loads of times before butttt.... i have 4 young children what are the risks of salmonella? I have seen people letting there beardies walk on the floor etc surely this isnt good?

Abbey xxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2012, 01:51 PM
Ultra Citizen
Send a message via MSN to Marcia

Welcome

The key thing is to practise good hygiene after handling any animal especially reptiles.
I have antibacterial hand gel which i use. As long as you and your children do this, i can't see there being a problem

Old 10-11-2012, 02:06 PM
5 Star Member

The risk of getting salmonella from a reptile is slim (very exaggerated by the media), as long as you don't eat their poo and wash your hands after disposing of it the risk is negligible

As long as the beardy won't get stood on, stuck or attacked by another pet you can let them wander around. Most individuals enjoy the stimulation of exploring/something new. They can cope without heat for a long time so, as long as your house isn't freezing, it really isn't of much concern

Handling wise, if you've only just got them, leave them alone for a couple of weeks and just feed, water and spot clean. Make sure that he's eating properly and regularly before major handling sessions as the stress could well suppress his appetite.

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2012, 08:44 PM
Egg

Thank you everyone!! I would love to let him on the floor so if i was to just bleach and mop afterwards it wouldnt be a risk to the kids? they tend to drop things on the floor etc and put it in there mouths and so on x

Old 21-11-2012, 06:46 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbeydevine View Post
Thank you everyone!! I would love to let him on the floor so if i was to just bleach and mop afterwards it wouldnt be a risk to the kids? they tend to drop things on the floor etc and put it in there mouths and so on x

In regards to your comment on mopping the floor with bleach afterwards, i agree with what you are trying to do, but you will hve to be careful not to harm the beardies as they tend to lick everything, i personally think that you would be fine with what other people have said on this, just using anti bacterial gel and to wash hands aswell
Old 22-11-2012, 11:03 AM
Super Regular

I have a three year old and an 18 month old and our beardy comes out on the floor and wanders around and i dont clean the floor afterwards, but it does get mopped every other day as part of normal house cleaning, my kids are fine, we have had ours for 5 months now.

Tags
bearded dragon