basics of feeding a royal ? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 13-11-2012, 09:44 PM
Regular
Default basics of feeding a royal ?

Hey guys
after a smidge of advice
Having just got my 1st royal I was wondering how I approach feeding her?
Ive been informed shes strike feeding one jumbo a week at present and has a slight spider wobble so may have to take it quite close to her to strike ??
I presume I do this using tongs and is it literally a case of holding it near her and she,ll become aware due to the smell and strike ?
Also I have read different things in regards to weather to feed in the viv or in a feeding box the shop I got her from (who I must say are fantastic ) feed in viv ,
sorry to sound silly just wanna be sure as I know they can be fussy at the best of times without me confusing her lmao!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-11-2012, 09:49 PM
5 Star Member

Yup bang on, make sure the food is nice and warm and offer it to her with some tongs...she'll know its there

As for the in tub/viv question, my snakes have preferences, 1 won't eat outside their viv, one has too strong a feeding response to safely remove from the viv anyway to feed the other 2 come out into a different tub to feed

DEED NOT BREED! SAY NO TO BSL!

The kindness one does for an animal may not change the world, but it WILL change the world for that one animal.
Old 13-11-2012, 09:50 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by piebaldlover View Post
Hey guys
after a smidge of advice
Having just got my 1st royal I was wondering how I approach feeding her?
Ive been informed shes strike feeding one jumbo a week at present and has a slight spider wobble so may have to take it quite close to her to strike ??
I presume I do this using tongs and is it literally a case of holding it near her and she,ll become aware due to the smell and strike ?
Also I have read different things in regards to weather to feed in the viv or in a feeding box the shop I got her from (who I must say are fantastic ) feed in viv ,
sorry to sound silly just wanna be sure as I know they can be fussy at the best of times without me confusing her lmao!!!
Strike feed using tongs. If she has a slight aim problem move the prey slowly and deliberately to give her a better chance of not missing. Try and stay within 8 inches of her head to give her a decent strike range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-11-2012, 09:57 PM
Regular

fab!!!
thanks guys for that put my mind at rest
so I guess with the to feed in viv or not feed in viv its down to her really and just judge it as we go
Old 13-11-2012, 09:58 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
fab!!!
thanks guys for that put my mind at rest
so I guess with the to feed in viv or not feed in viv its down to her really and just judge it as we go
Aye, I have two snakes that feed out of viv, all the rest (including all my past animals too) feed in viv.
Old 13-11-2012, 10:14 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerpHunter63 View Post
Aye, I have two snakes that feed out of viv, all the rest (including all my past animals too) feed in viv.
cool thats good to know
and how do you judge what size mice your feeding and when to increase size ?
as I said above shes on jumbos at the mo once a week and shes just under 500g ,
tah for all your advice though
Old 13-11-2012, 10:17 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
cool thats good to know
and how do you judge what size mice your feeding and when to increase size ?
as I said above shes on jumbos at the mo once a week and shes just under 500g ,
tah for all your advice though
I go by the 'whatever leaves a slightly evident bump in the snake' method. Although the general guideline would be 10-20% of the snakes weight. So at 500g she would eat a 50+g mouse
piebaldlover likes this.

The kindness one does for an animal may not change the world, but it WILL change the world for that one animal.
Old 13-11-2012, 10:19 PM
Forum Citizen

As above.

He summed it up well.
piebaldlover likes this.
Old 15-11-2012, 08:56 PM
Banned

I would be trying small to large rat weaners as 50g mice are a pain to get hold of and an adult will need a fair few at a time so it would be better if you could get em on rats. Maybe dip the head in some hot water for 15 secs then dry before offering,will give em something to aim for.
Old 15-11-2012, 10:21 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by langerspies View Post
I would be trying small to large rat weaners as 50g mice are a pain to get hold of and an adult will need a fair few at a time so it would be better if you could get em on rats. Maybe dip the head in some hot water for 15 secs then dry before offering,will give em something to aim for.
Thats actually a good point, rats of appropriate size will be easier to come across in the future. Seeing as it's a royal though, I would wait until the snake has had a few feeds in it's new home before swapping food items, just in case this stops them feeding. I picked up my male royal in July and he wouldn't feed for me as I'd been offering him rats which my female ate. He didn't eat for some time until I bought him mice, which he recognised as food. This week (Sunday) was only the second time in a row that I had managed to get him to take a rat since I first got him. So I'd be wary of swapping prey items until they are settled as feeding 2/3 mice a week is better than a non feeder. But you are quite right, rats are much much easier to get and it's been knocked around that they are better for the snake.

Tags
feeding royal pythons