Bit of advice? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 15-11-2012, 07:59 PM
Hatchling
Default Bit of advice?

So, as some of you may know, I recently got my first gecko - Stevie.
So she is settling in at the moment and I know it varys from each gecko to how quick they settle in, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice of things I can do for her to get used to me and know im here to help her?

Shes eating well, and explores round her viv, until she sees me, then she sneaks away back to her fav hide. I sit on the floor next to her viv some times and get on with uni work and such (her viv is on the floor as thats the only place I can fit it atm which probably makes her scareder as I am a giant to her!! ) But I was just wondering if anyone had any tips?

Also with mealworms, Ive read around but just want a bit of clarity, shes just over 5 months, is it ok to feed her as much as she can eat/wants? Not to limit it unless theres lots left over?

Thankyou!!

Last edited by JD918; 15-11-2012 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: Bad grammar! :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-11-2012, 08:15 PM
Forum Citizen

Hi, how old is she and how long have you had her for? Also, is she getting any other live food or just mealworm?
Old 15-11-2012, 08:21 PM
Hatchling

I've had her for couple of days now, I leave her be for the most part of the time and I know I'm not going to be able to handle her for a while which I am not worried about, I just want her to get used to me. Guy at rep store said about 5 months, and I feed her small crix too, which shes been eating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-11-2012, 08:33 PM
Forum Citizen

I'd leave her alone totally, just spot clean/feed and water apart from that and of course checking temps/humidity just forget about her lol sounds harsh I know but a lot of reps dont even eat for the first week because of the stress of the move so atleast she's eating? Its just a case of being patient.. When i got my first beardie I was like 'whys he scared of me!' I was advised what I have just said to you and after 2 weeks he seemed like a totally different animal! I'd also try and feed more crix than mealies, there healthier and also the mealworm have a harder 'shell' so they may be harder to digest. I'm not saying cut them out, just try and give crix more and maybe limit mealies to every other day? I'm not expert on gekos though and someone might come along with better advice for you re feeding but i'd defo give her a wide birth to make her trust you more..

Hope this helps!
Old 15-11-2012, 08:37 PM
Hatchling

Im happy with any advice thankyou! Yeah, Im just happy shes eating, shes been mainly on crickets as it is. They seem like more fun too!
I only got meal worms today, and I will limit that to every other day.
Shes just so cute to watch! I cant help it! ha
Old 15-11-2012, 08:42 PM
Forum Citizen

Haha I know what you mean, does she let you hand feed her the mealies? My beardie loves it but their clever. Too much hand feeding and they'll get lazy and instead of hunting their food, they'll wait until you hand feed it to them! I think about it like this.. Crix are healthier not only because of the nutrician but also they have to get their lazy ass up and chase them about! I'd love to give you loads of advice but I dont know too much about gekos so i'd rather not say anything instead of giving bad advice.. But defo a wide birth for a week or so should do the trick. If he's eating and pooing well then he/she isnt that scared and wont take too long to trust you
Old 15-11-2012, 08:45 PM
Hatchling

Havnt tried hand feeding, dont want to touch the creepy things ha! Although I have had to start disabling the crickets, they were too jumpy for her and she wasnt quick enough. Not a fun thing to do but it means she can actually chase and catch them now!
Old 15-11-2012, 09:12 PM
Forum Citizen

Give her a few weeks to settle in then you can get some reptile tweezers off ebay for a couple of quid and hand feed her with them! A lot of people will say dont because she will get lazy but I dont see a problem as long as you dont do it too often!

As for the crix.. Try putting some in a box and put them in the fridge for 5-10mins before feeding. This will slow them down a bit and make them easier for her to catch
JD918 likes this.