not sure what to get - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 16-11-2012, 02:02 PM
Super Citizen

Bearded Dragons are the most social out of all those that you suggested. I love my Beardie, she'll happily just lay on my lap in front of the telly for hours, once you've researched their environment, they're easy enough to keep. Obviously you have to take into consideration food costs (veg daily & live insects), cost of heat bill (they'll need a UV strip and basking spot on for 10-12hrs a day and also whether you have the room for one, the minumum is a 4foot by 2foot by 2foot vivarium.
1 Albino Lavender Kingsnake
1 Bearded Dragon
1 Axolotls
1 African Pygmy Hedgehog
"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms."
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-11-2012, 02:25 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee331 View Post
The wife is fine with crickets and mice (she used to hold the rats, gerbils and hamsters we had). I have spare space in the freezer and i do most of the cooking so no problem with her going in the freezer.

There is a good reptile shop in northampton, so i might pop down there with the kids at the weekend and see what they like the most. Our neighbour has 4 corn snakes and they have been round to see them several times. A friend also has loads of exotics and they've seen them a few times too.
Is that the Northampton reptile Centre? If so, they will have plenty to look at. They are a helpful bunch too.
Old 16-11-2012, 03:56 PM
Regular
Send a message via Skype™ to Dubia82

Hey mate,

I would get either a Bearded Dragon or a Corn snake. Both good examples of hardy and forgiving reptiles that at least 9 times out of 10 will make great pets that wont bite or cause any real problems. They're both easy to handle and a joy to keep.

King snakes a good, but more chance of being bitey in my experience. Boas are great, ofcourse more attention is required and maybe not great as a starter snake with small children, however, some are unbelievably docile. I would get a corn first then consider a boa depending on how the family did with the corn.

I don't own any geckos and I think they are slightly more difficult to keep than Bearded Dragons, but I could be wrong... if I went for a gecko I would go for a Crested, but that's purely for looks. With children, I woudl suggest a Bearded Dragon still as they seem, imo, to be tougher... good for when it's handled with not so delicate fingers.

Old 16-11-2012, 05:18 PM
Regular

Just thought I would say

I'm afraid I don't know much about the other options.
I went for a Beardie as it is awake during the day, so something to watch! They also don't mind being handled and ours stares out the vivarium as much as we stare in!
I am a teacher for 9-10 year olds and they love our class pet, they think he's brilliant. We also have plenty of visitors from children in other classes, so a popular one with children in my experience.
I like the idea of taking your kids to have a look- you'll just have to hope they choose the same thing!!

I hope you find the one for you!
Old 16-11-2012, 11:00 PM
Regular

revobuzz - yes northampton reptiles in St James, i've been there and they seem like a friendly bunch.

I've seen an advert for someone selling both a garter and a corn with their own viv's and i might have a look at them this weekend. Both of them are quite young and are good handlers.

I'm tempted to get a snake as our next door neighbour has had them for many years and would always be helpful (answering questions and feeding when we're on holiday).
Old 17-11-2012, 07:16 PM
Regular

just a quick update. Went to the reptile centre with the wife and kids today and they enjoyed looking at all of the animals. They all held a baby corn and a baby beardie without any issues and i held an adult beardie called Ted. Could have bought all of them right there and then, so cute. Now the difficult process of thinking which one to buy.
Old 17-11-2012, 11:42 PM
Regular

Haha, i know that feeling. its a tough choice but good luck with whatever you get.
Old 17-11-2012, 11:48 PM
Forum Citizen

Think if you want your kids involved and to handle etc i would say gecko, canbe tame not big enough if they bite to do serious injury, a snake can be tame but need be extra gentle had two snakes in past and believe them to be most tame reptile ever, if handled in apropriate or (kids) can be rather fiesty. Bearded dragon get big flighty and nasty bite.

Just my opinion
Owner of 3 Leo Geckos, Previous owner of albino corn and a black king snake
Old 18-11-2012, 12:54 AM
Regular

going to look at a 2yr old garter and 1yr old corn tomorrow. i could come home with both of them.
Old 18-11-2012, 01:22 AM
Forum Citizen

Just been told in another thread by me that garters can be flighty!

Ive had a cornsnake before which was very skittish but i was in experienced (was years ago)and to me i dont think best beginner snake but then could been one off fiesty snake or me been un experienced. Just my experience